Andalucia in early June - Too hot?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering a trip to Andalucia in early to mid June of this year. I am thinking of including Cordova, Seville, Ronda, Malaga, and Granada, with a couple smaller towns along the way.

In your experience, would it be too hot to enjoy the trip at that time of year? I understand July and August are out of the question, but I am not sure about June. I suppose I could postpone the trip to September if it was necessary.

Thank you for your advice!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Of course it depends on your tolerance for hot weather, and mine is quite high, but I have been in late May and thought it was perfect. You can check highs for the last couple years at weather.com.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. According to the averages on weather.com it looks like early June might be nice, but I'd be risking a hot trip by the end of June.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Of a different opinion, I was in Sevilla at the end of May a few years back, and it was beastly (I have a high tolerance of heat as I am a Philadelphia native used to hot and humid weather as well as someone who spent summers in Florida). Daily highs were above 100 degrees leaving me with little energy or desire to do much (thankfully I was wrapping up a semester there so I was content to lie low). I would wait until September but that's just me. But Andalusia is gorgeous regardless.

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog!)
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM

I was in Andalucia in April one year and I was wilting in the afternoons -- and I grew up in Southern California, endured many a NYC summer, and now live in super-sunny Italy.

If you are willing to do what the Spaniards do -- quit doing anything in the middle of the day -- then it gets to be less of a problem. But if you plan a busy tourist itinerary for June -- or even September (that's still summer) -- based upon the idea that after lunch in Cordoba you'll have plenty of time to sightsee outdoors before moving on to the next town -- you might find once you get there that the heat makes you bail on your plans.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Prefer September, but I've also been to Andalucia twice in July (only time I could go at the time) and did just fine by getting up early, taking very long naps and staying out really late. We did tours in the mornings, went to museums where it was cool in the early afternoons or went swimming and took naps every day from around 1:00 or 2:00 to 5:30. Then, a shower and dress and out for the evening to tapas bar hop or just sit in a plaza. So, better to go in June than not go at all. You can adapt. Enjoy.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. We may have to see if we can push the trip up to the end of May just to be safe.

Now its time to go work on finding cheap flights... So far it looks like Air France has the other carriers beat for flights from NYC.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:45 PM

We have been twice in late April and it was plenty hot then. High temps were well into the 80s and everyone was using the hotel pools in the afternoon. (By the time we got to Madrid it was in the high 90s unuusally hot there for that time of year.)