Amsterdam to where?

Search

Amsterdam to where?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam to where?

We are flying into Amsterdam the second week of October. We have about 10 days to do anything before a meeting in Northern Germany (so we fly back to USA out of Amsterdam). Our first inclination is to fly to Spain and do Barcelona, Cordoba and Seville. If you think this is a good idea we will take any recommendations on flights,trains, lodging, car rentals and places to stay.
BUT ON THE OTHER HAND....
if you think you can recommend something else that would occupy those 10 days we are open to anything! We love to walk, see sites, and love the outdoors. We would not want to be in major cities the entire time. We are willing to do just about anything..we love to drive great roads also.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM

Spain sounds great to me, but I'm really here to let you know that it can be very cheap to fly from Amsterdam to Pisa on Transavia airlines.

But in truth, I think not only will you have slightly drier weather in Spain, the historic connections between the Netherlands and Spain would make it a particularly interesting combination. Although I like Catalonia, I really don't care for the city of Barcelona, so I can't advise about that. But Madrid/Toledo, and Sevilla/Cordoba AND Grenada for the Alhambra would be a very marvelous trip in my book. If you don't like cities, you don't need to stay in Madrid long, but I would recommend staying long enough for a visit to the Prado and a day trip to Toledo, or even an overnight there if you like small places. Then a fast train to Andalucia, probably to base in Sevilla (which really doesn't have the feel of a big city) and day trip to Cordoba, or do it the other way around depending on your interests. Then I would rent a car and roam, making sure you include the Alhambra -- and stay 2 nights so you can take the night tour.

You might enjoy reading these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...a-spain-olives

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...-artists-views

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...rts-tips-spain

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...llages-beaches

To me, it would make more sense to visit Barcelona in combination with visiting the rest of Catalonia.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM

The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, northern France, Germany??
Why go off elsewhere if you are landing in the Netherlands? Plenty to fill 10 days and get you gently to your meeting feeling relaxed, without the hassle of extra flights.
Hire a car and explore go off the beaten track, explore the north of the Netherlands, the islands off the Dutch and German coasts, maybe a touch of Denmark even. Or head to the south Netherlands and then Ardennes, before going to the Eiffel and Mosel maybe.
You may get lucky and have wonderful weather - it is very often warm and sunny in the first half of October, and the autumn colours will be wonderful. Plus most "tourist" places will be less crowded.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have somewhere to start!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM

We got a round trip flight from Rome to Amsterdam on KLM for $133 for September - was on kayak.com You could visit Italy.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM

I've yet to see a trip report on Sicily A few years back I stayed in a gorgeous art deco boutique hotel Villa Paradiso dell’ Etna in the foothills of Etna. Car hire was essential but the island was magical.

Taormina Noto Antica, Siracuse. Just wonderful but so overlooked by many travellers.

http://www.paradisoetna.it/ita/index.asp
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've been to Italy several times. I love it! Just interested in info on Spain or locations to visit and stay in and around Amsterdam..especially some of the suggestions above from hetismij...any suggestions on places to stay in these areas? Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

hetismij- Thanks! I think you have convinced us. Any other specific ides?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:03 AM

When I was in Amsterdam a few months ago I accidently bumped into the House of Bols. This museum is at the opposite of the van Gogh museum. It’s not that known, but it’s really worth trying it, especially when you like cocktails. Besides that, it is also pretty cool because it is the eldest destillery in the world, so there’s a lot of culture involved. Enjoy your stay there in Amsterdam!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM

We just got back from a work-related trip to Bremen in north Germany and we had a weekend in Groningen, which we enjoyed. It's not that far from Amsterdam. Click on my screen name if you want to read the trip report. We also saw some of the little towns around Groningen, including a very special star-shaped village-fortress surrounded by moats, Bourtange. That was worth a trip in itself!

Lavandula