Flying from Amsterdam to Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to secure a one layover stop from SFO to Amsterdam and home (Madrid to SFO) using mileage. My husband and I plan on staying in Amsterdam for 3 nights and flying out to Spain. I'm looking on whichflights.com, and I'm trying to figure out the best way (economically to get into Spain). Flights in to Barcelona are reasonable, but it would make my time in Spain rushed. So far, I have 3 nights in Amsterdam, 3 in Barcelona, 3 in Seville and 4 in Madrid. Should I skip Barcelona and fly directly into Seville?
thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM

Do you mean whichbudget.com ?

We took Transavia for a Madrid to Amsterdam trip, and it went very well and was quite cheap. Transavia is the budget offshoot of KLM.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Oops...that's the right site.

Can anyone comment on my itinerary? Is it too rushed?

Thanks so much
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM

Remember to allow time to travel between each destination, and packing and unpacking. Travel can cut off at least a ½-day for arrival and another ½-day on the departure side.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM

I'm always a big fan of slowing down. You are flying all the way from San Francisco. Amsterdam is a wonderfully interesting city, with a quite interesting connection to Spain, and I would think 4 nights there (1 just to shake your jet lag) would be more relaxed. Sevilla, with a day trip to Cordoba is worth 4 nights. Topping it all off with Madrid and its great museums and opportunities for day trips to Toledo and elsewhere would be fascinating.

Save Catalonia for another trip.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:53 AM

Hi there, I just booked on www.iberia.com, spains' national carrier, prices quite reasonable. If you want to try a budget airline, vueling.com offers amazing deals.
good luck!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:20 AM

I don't think with 10 nights your time in Spain is "rushed" at all. I wouldn't skip Barcelona and for someone from California I think three nights in Seville is plenty.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:21 AM

I concur with dukey in that you should not skip Barcelona. If possible, try to be there a Sunday: visit Parc Guell in the afternoon and the plaza in front of the Cathedral in the evening.

As for Sevilla & Madrid, much depends on WHEN your trip is scheduled and what's happening: Semana Santa (first week of April) in Sevilla is a 'mob scene,' for example and Feria de abril (last week of April) also brings many people to Sevilla. Not to be outdone is the Feria del campo y Romeria al Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio (around 1 Jun).

Madrid's San Isidro activities begin the first of May and continue thru at least mid-May (i.e., daily bullfights, concerts, etc.).
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your wonderful advice and help.

This is what I have planned tentatively -
Arrive Amsterdam Apr 22nd
Leave for Barcelona Apr 25th (via flight)
Leave for Seville Apr 28th (via flight)
Leave for Madrid May 1st (via AVE)
Leave for SFO May 4th

If we get bored in any of these cities (I highly doubt that), we plan on hitting Segovia, Toledo, Cordoba or Granada.

Let me know what you think. thanks
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM

..I still think I would cut out one "base" city. The day you arrive and leave are a write off which leaves you 12 days. You then have 3 travel days which cut out at least 1 1/2 days and as much as 2 of good sight seeing. I think I would cut out Seville (or Madrid) and do day trips from Barcelona or Madrid (Avila; Salamanca; Toledo ect.) It is up to you, but I personally find my travel days when I uproot from place to place really cut into vacation time. Day trips however do not IMO.