Amsterdam to Venice by Air

Oct 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam to Venice by Air

I am thinking of going back to both Amsterdam and Venice and I would like to fly from AMS to Venice.

I need the name of a reliable but cheap airline that goes directly from Schiphol to Venice.
I would Appreciate any help or suggestions..
Thanks,
AnnaMaria

Oct 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM

look at ryan air, berlin air and easy jet
Oct 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Only two airlines fly this route nonstop. KLM flies from AMS to Venice-Marco Polo, which is the main airport. Transavia flies to Venice-Treviso, which is the primary low-cost airport. I've never flown into Treviso, so have no idea how inconvenient it is, but it is close to Venice, and Transavia reportedly runs a bus service timed for their arrivals.

As far as reliability, both KLM and Transavia are fine. Transavia is the low-cost arm of KLM, so is more likely to have cheaper one-way fares, if that is what you are looking to do. But, remember that low-cost does not mean cheap, and you would be well-served to use a site like Kayak to compare prices. Depending upon when you are flying, and when you book, you may find that KLM is perfectly competitive on price. However, with so little nonstop competition, you may also find that you would have to connect to get a 'cheap' flight.

As for other low-cost carriers, most of them do not allow you to through-check bags and will not sell you connecting tickets, so you would need to buy separate tickets if you wanted to connect with, for example, Easyjet, and you would have to accept the risks that come with that. Ryanair does not serve AMS, and AirBerlin is hardly a budget carrier and is not, IME, particularly cheap compared to other major carriers.
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM

You could fly AMS to Milan on Easyjet and get the train to Venice from there, or how about taking teh train all the way -here's the link to the bahn.de website that shows early morning departures. it takes about 19 hours, and you could be there early morning the next day.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...&rt=1&OK#focus

alternatively if you departed AMS later in the day, you could arrive after midday, in time to book into your hotel straight away. that might get you the best views too, as you come across the alps. [it would be a shame to sleep through that!]
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I checked many airlines and some were charging a fortune for their tickets.
The last time I were in AMS with my grandaughter we were going to Capri afterward, I was lucky to find a very cheap airline that is now defunct.

We had to go to Rotterdam to take our flight to Naples.

It was a direct flight and it didn't cost us a fortune.
I will check also the AMS/Milan flight and see how much it will cost.

We are thinking to go to Europe in September ..it will give me time to search a little better.

THanks everybody,
AnnaMaria