20 days in europe with 2 kids

Oct 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

20 days in europe with 2 kids

Hello all,

I am ready to start planning for my next trip to europe and need help figuring out where to go

It's going to be myself, my husband and two kids (2 and 6 years old), and I am going to have about 20 days including the travel time between june and late august.

My hope is to spend about 8-10 days in one or two larger cities and then about a week of quieter, relaxing time somewhere else - coast, small village, mountain, lake side. We love hustle-bustle of large cities (loved vienna) and equally love walking around with the kids in quieter places like hallstatt and Murren. Right now I am thinking about first finding the 'quieter' place where we can spend a 6-7days and then I can build rest of my trip around it.

I have been to some parts of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain and France, I would not mind going to there again (and who would mind?!).

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks!
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM

We're going on a similar trip next summer with our 4 and 6 year olds. They haven't been to Europe yet. We're mostly focussing on rural areas and already have places to stay outside of Bruges and Normandy. We're mostly doing one-week stays in gites and apartments. When we travelled without kids, we were always on the move trying to cram a lot in. On this trip, we're looking forward to slowing the pace a bit. We're also going to Munich, Bavaria, Northern Tuscany including Cinque Terre, Dordogne region, and some of the Rhine/Mosel river area in Germany. We're spending around six weeks next summer.

Below are links to the places we're staying in Belgium and Normandy. I snagged them a couple months ago because they look especially kid-friendly and were a good value. We will have a car and I think you'd need one to stay in these places.

Have fun planning!
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...0?uni_id=70171

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p41...k&catid=417632
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM

How about London for a few days, then train to Broadstairs, England on the coast (looks cute) for a couple nights, ferry to Belgium and Bruges for a few nights, and then train to Paris for a week? Three countries, 3 very interesting places.

Alternatives, Dublin-Dingle-Galway and fly from Shannon.

Rome-Umbria-Venice would be great.

I would pick to cities you really want to see, fly open jaws in and out of them and then find a rural area inbetween. We have been thinking about Munich-farmstay in Tyrol and then fly out of either Munich again or maybe Zurich.
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM

How about rural Austria? Resorts in Austria cater to families very well, and of course the scenery is fabulous.

Lavandula
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Hi ladydem,

first of all, i agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster about slowing down when you've got kids with you. our most successful family holidays are when we rented gites or apartments for weeks at a time.

secondly, what sort of weather are you aiming for/able to tolerate? generally, August is going to be much warmer than June/early July, though that time of year was VERY hot in northern France this year.

Personally, i would aim at 10 days in a city followed by a10 days relaxing at the beach. you could do Paris and Brittany, London and Cornwall [quick plug for my home county there], Florence and the coast around Viareggio, Rome and the Abruzzo couat, Venice and the Veneto, Barcelona and the costa ..?etc. etc.
you could also add in a few days in the country, making it a week or so in each main destination, with a country stay in between. But i definitely would want to move more than twice with children of this age. and apartments/gites the way to go IMHO.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM

sorry, that's <>
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM

How about Italy? Tuscany, Umbria, Veneto.. they are beautiful.
There are many lakes to choose from.
And/Or Croatia and Slovenia.

I was reading this blog the other day..
http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/y...it/Trips/10675
It's not mine, sometimes I just like to read about other's travels. (I sound like a stalker, but I'm really not)

Anyway, you get the idea.
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Hi ladydem - We are doing something similar next July with 3 kids. 7 nights in a gite in Brittany followed by 7 nights in Paris. We plan on visiting the beach, medievil villages, chateau, D-Day sites in Normandy.

We have also been to England and the kids really loved that. A cottage in the Cotswolds followed by London would be fun. The villages are nice to ramble around, lots of castles, gardens and afternoon tea. London has loads of kid-friendly things. Chasing pigeons at Trafalgar Square was appealling to my 4 year old!
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Some people here have done farm stays, that might be interesting.

I found Ireland to be charming, and know people who rented a little cottage for them and the kids.
Oct 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM

I would rent an apartment in Paris for a week, then a gîte in the Dordogne, where there are myriad activities for both kids and adults.
Oct 15th, 2010, 08:19 AM

another vote for a gite. Maybe gorge du tarn