(Budget) airline intra-Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bunch of websites for intra-Europe travel, but other than Alitalia I can't seem to find one that offers flights for one-way flight from Venice to Milan. Just want to get a price idea.
Any suggestions?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Volare did for awhile, but they are caput. Look at Windjet or Air One. But, the train sure is easy.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM

At 2:43 by ES train, it's much quicker than flying, all things considered.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I would suggest you to go by train www.trenitalia.com as it goes from downtown venice S.L. (Santa Lucia) to downtown Roma Termini through beautiful Tuscany's countryside

but if you will pick the flight option check www.amadeus.net for flight schedule and fares. Airport code for venice is VCE and FCO for Rome.
Air One operates the VCE-FCO segment and is part of Star Alliance together with United Airlines and Lufthansa. Check with them and you might combine your intercontinental ticket with this domestic flight saving some money rather than getting a one way ticket VCE-FCO. You might fly from USA into VCE by United or Lufthansa via Frankfurt, then FRA-VCE,then VCE-FCO with Air One and back from FCO to USA via FRA.

Anyway this amadeus.net will show you all opportunities also with Alitalia or Alpi Eagles for VCE-FCO.
Just checked for you now as example on 10/18 VCE-FCO by Air One costs Eur 82,67 one way, around $ 105 I guess

Have a nice trip !

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I would honestly NOT go by air from Venice to Milan. As someone said, the train is ultimately more convenient and perhaps cheaper if you INCLUDE the cost of getting to and from both airports, not to mention the time it takes to do so, check in, wait for the flight, deplane, wait for the luggage, etc.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM

sorry I misread Rome instead of Milan !!

Then no doubts: go by train !!

flat scenery and crowded toll highway Venice to Milan is definitely not worth !!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Hi elaine, getting from Venice to Milan on the train is so easy and simple. I have friends that do it almost every week (in reverse). Do not waste time flying and then ending up at the Linate airport a bit east of Milan. The train takes you from the Santa Lucia Venice Train Station (you might have to change trains at the Mestre Train Station that is just a few minutes away but that is so simple) and will bring you in to the the Centrale Train in Milan. You will save lots of time and hassles. Have a wonderful time in Italy!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Intra-Europe and intra-country flights are very expensive. As the others have said, take a train. It is not too long and is a nice excursion.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm actually aiming to get to Cernobbio on Lake Como, and the train from Venice to the town of Como is a bit over 4 hours. I still haven't figured out the Como to Cernobbio bit--is that a ferry, or a bus?

I thought it could possibly be faster to fly from Venice to Milan, and then take a train or bus. But now that I think of it, I'd still have to get to Milan Centrale from Malpensa, so there would be no time saving and with airport travel, probably longer.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

elaine, I thought local flights arrived at the Milan Linate airport versus the Malpensa International airport. But yes in either case you still would need to get to the train station so taking the train would cut down on a lot of travel time.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:26 PM
rex

<<Intra-Europe and intra-country flights are very expensive>>

This is SO not true. See www.whichbudget.com

But it may indeed be true that this route is not cost-effective.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rex
I had whichbudget on my own list but they don't seem to offer flights between Venice and Milan (and I'm assuming that none of the Lake Como towns have airports?)
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
rex

Primarily, I was reacting to the generalization about intra-Europe air fares, elaine...

For this route, it's true, the best air travel plan comes from Opodo.com not whichbudget.

Only Alitlia flies the route, nonstop.

From 86 GBP each way.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM

elaine

Even though in my previous post I had misread Venice to Rome instead of Milan, the link www.amadeus.net is still valid and offers schedule and fares worldwide.
Digit airport code VCE for Venice and MXP for Milan Malpensa and your travel date.

Actually Milan Malpensa airport is the closest airport to Como, but if you consider the travel time Venice to VCE airport, check-in time, flying time, then transfer from MXP to Como I again suggest to stay with your 4 hours train Venice to Como www.trenitalia.com

and then a bus to Cernobbio.

also check www.lagodicomo.com
italian/english

have a nice trip !!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

thanks, all
will also link this to Helpful Information Italy thread
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM

elaine, have I told you that I am <font color="green"> Green</font> with envy

Do you have an itinerary yet?
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett

I have a tentative itinerary that breaks the usual Fodor's 'rules' including my own,
In 10 days in Italy (not counting transatlantic days) I hope to visit
Rome, Siena, Florence, Venice, and Lake Como, and may even at the end have an hour or two in Milan to finally see the Duomo. Some of those cities I have visited on my own and then met up with people later for the rest of a trip, but it will be a first for me to spend 10 days in Italy on my own.

I've been to R,S,F, and V before. Looking into low-moderate range hotels (which these days looks to be 100-130 euro per night) , except for Lake Como where I hope to fulfill a dream and stay at,or at least visit, Villa d'Este.
And, I haven't figured out yet if I should spend a night in Siena, not having done that before, or just daytrip again from Florence. It will be early April, so crowds not too bad.
And with all that moving around from place to place I MUST keep my luggage light, not my forte by any means.
I'm already worrying about the shoes.

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM

Sigh..if only the editors on THIS site were as attentive and responsive as those posting the immediately above.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Elaine,

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!
Yes..do travel light.....but what do you do with all the maps &amp; books??

Traveling alone will give you the freedom of movement...without having to wait for a partner.
In November I'm going to Venice by myself...first time....I'm looking forward to time alone...'cept for dinner.
BUT I am cheating... (well, not THAT kinda cheating haha) I have a friend in Venice that I'm sure will have a few dinners with me.
HOPE!!

Low-cost intra-Europe airfare? I'm trying MyAir from Paris to Venice....I don't think they fly Milan-Venice.
(fare is 1 cent plus taxes = $50)

Isn't the planning part great fun too?

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Here's how you often find out who flies from one place to another: Google the URL for the smaller of the two airports - here not Milan but Venice www.veniceairport.it.

Smaller airports list the flights to and from. In this example, click on the British flag top right, then click on Linked Airports map, then on Italy, and up pops a list of Italian cities served from Venice. Milano Malpensa MXP is on the list. Click on it and the entire timetable is shown. AZ is Alitalia which has the most flights, but BV Blue Panorama has a late 8PM flight two nights a week.

Then look at either the timetable links, or at today's flights, and you'll see which airline it is etc.

Blue Panorama has the coolest jet-swooshing noise as sound effect on its website (until the disco music kicks in...)
http://www.blue-panorama.com/eng/index_a.htm

WK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -