Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to Munich w/ Mosel Valley and Romantic Road.

Jan 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

My Husband are driving Amsterdam to Heidelberg in one day. We might take the train into Germany to make renting a car easier. We want to drive the Mosel Valley and stop in Cochem and Trier then on to Heidelberg for the night. The next day we would like to travel the Romantic Road to Neuschwanstein Castle and then arrive in Munich that night.

Would Rothenburg be a better place to stay the night than Heidelberg? Also does anyone know what is the best route for the romantic road in one day? We want to start in either Rothenburg or Heidelberg and then head south.

Thanks,
Meg
Jan 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Amsterdam to Heidelberg - this drive is too long for one day and you cannot stop at Cochem and Trier on the way. Trier is in the other direction and a long diversion to a very long drive as it is. You're looking at 8-9 hrs driving only time if all goes well.

Romantic road - this route through the countryside is well marked and goes through the beautiful towns of Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen aside from Rothenberg. You don't have to decide between one route or the other...just follow the signs. Rothenberg is very pretty place to stay but again if you're planning to drive all the way from Amsterdam, you'd better break journey at Heidelberg.
Jan 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM

You could do Cochem and then double back and continue to Heidelberg I guess, but doing both Cochem and Trier on the way makes for a very long drive, and an even longer day if you first have to get to Germany to pick up the car.
Amsterdam to Heidelberg direct is about 5 hours driving, with no stops.
It is well over 6 hours to drive from Amsterdam to Rothenburg, again not allowing for stops.
All motorway, and no chance to see very much along the way.
Jan 10th, 2011, 03:59 PM

I also agree that as planned, you will do more driving than you want to do. Why not take the train from AMS to Koblenz, pick up your car there and drive along the Mosel to Trier. Stay overnight in Trier. Then take the autobahn A-1 south to the A-60 south and A-6 going east/south. Take the A-6 to the A-656, which is the spur to Heidelberg.

Spend the night in H., and then take the Burgenstrasse (castle road) along the Neckar River to Heilbronn, where you pick up the A-81 going north as far as Tauberbischofsheim. There you intersect the Romantische Strasse (Romantic Highway) going south to Rothenburg o./T.. From R. to Fuessen takes you about 2 1/2 hours, going south on the A-7
Jan 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Ummm - Amsterdam to Heidelberg is about 5 hours direct.

If you added Trier (it's not in "the other direction"), but not Cochem, it is a little over 6 hours driving time. Throwing in Cochem, in addition to Trier, makes it about 7.5 hours.

Stopping in Cochem alone makes it a little under 6 hours.

If you make R od T your final destination, you add about 1 - 1.5 hours to each of those estimates.

A long day, no matter how you arrange it, with little time to stop and see anything.

Heidelberg is not on, or even close, to the Romantic Road, which runs from Wurzburg to Fussen, essentially.
Jan 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM

"My Husband are driving Amsterdam to Heidelberg in one day.... We want to drive the Mosel Valley and stop in Cochem and Trier... Would Rothenburg be a better place to stay the night than Heidelberg?"

The Mosel Valley snakes its way dramatically on its way to Koblenz. There are lots of bends like this one:

http://www.wsv.de/wsa-ko/wasserstras...en_400x300.jpg

It takes an eternity to drive it.

If you must end your day in Heidelberg or Rothenburg, then just drive to one or the other directly. You'll have time to at least see one place and a rest stop or two along the way.

Or allot some more time to stay over on the Mosel. There are some places worth seeing, but they don't have a drive-thru option.

www.burg-eltz.de
www.falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm
www.marksburg.de
Jan 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

So I guess then what would be the best route from Amsterdam to Munich? We would like to defiantly hit the romantic road and spend an extra night if needed.
Jan 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM

bookmarking
Jan 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM

A few years ago I took the train from AMS Centraal into Cochem. I don't remember exact times, maybe it took 5 hours with one change of train. The Mosel area is gorgeous and deserves more than a drive thru - listen to Russ!

I found that Burg Eltz was the most spectacular castle I have seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the tour even though my German is quite rusty.

Do not sell this area short. I also enjoyed Rothenburg for a couple days but wished I had spent more time in COchem area. We ended up sleeping three nights at Hotel Haus Lipmann in tiny Beilstein. Lovely place run by lovely people. HIghly recommend.
Jan 13th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Forgot to add - I think a car would be very helpful in this area. I just did not want to drive during this trip. The trains are great but public buses to the trains were not plentiful from Beilstein. Taxis were readily available.
Jan 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Not sure what your whole trip looks like, but DH and I something similar a few year ago:
Amsterdam - for 2 days
Took train from AMS to Munich - about 8 hours if memory serves. Left early in the morning, arrived mid afternoon.
Rented a car -- did Neuschwanstein and area still based in Munich, touring the bier gartens at night.
Drove "Romantic Road"-- first to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Spent night.
Drove along Mosel - spent 2 nights along the Mosel - visiting Burg Eltz and Trier and Cochem.
Returned car in Koblenz, and took train back to AMS.

Just another idea to throw out. I would take a train for long hauls, and save driving for when you are visiting more out of the way sights, and want to stop often. Also, renting a car in one country and dropping off in another can add some hefty fees to the rental. If possible, I would try to avoid.