Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Final draft of itinerary to Germany, Amsterdam and Brugge; feedback much appreciated!

Search

Final draft of itinerary to Germany, Amsterdam and Brugge; feedback much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I think will be my final itinerary for trip in late May. Does this seem too hectic? Too much driving? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thursday Depart for overnight flight.
Friday Arrive Frankfurt, rent car and drive to Rothenburg for 1 night
Saturday Depart Rothenburg and drive Romantic Road to Munich for 3 nights
Sunday Munich
Monday Munich
Tuesday Drive to Fussen for 2 nights
WednesdayTour castles
Thursday Drive to Baden Baden for 2 nights
Friday Baden Baden
Saturday Drive to Brugge for 2 nights
Sunday Tour Brugge
Monday Drive to Amsterdam for 4 nights
Tuesday Amsterdam
WednesdayAmsterdam
Thursday Amsterdam
Friday Drive to Bacharach for 2 nights
Saturday Rhine Cruise, Burg Eltz castle
Sunday Drive to Frankfurt for 1 night
Monday Depart for home

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM

The drive from Baden-Baden to Brugge will probably take you about 7 hours, esp. if you decide to stop for some scenery gazing or meals. We drove from Baden-Baden to Brussels today and it took us a good 5.5 hours...but that was due to a mixture of heavy traffic (lots of trucks), road construction on the A-61 and A-4, and freezing temps (possibility of black ice at spots). Your drive in May should be much more pleasant.

From Fussen to Baden-Baden could also take that long, again because of traffic, roadwork. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

That is much longer than I thought. Maproram indicates that it is 3 hours from Baden Baden to Brugge but the reality sounds quite different!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Well, it is some driving, however, if you like to drive you can make it without hectic. Frankfurt to Rothenburg is not far, so you will arrive in the afternoon, stroll through the town, sit down and have a drink. From Rothenburg to Munich will also be a relaxed drive with time enough for some stops.
Arriving on a Saturday in Munich is a good idea (to avoid traffic jams). Two full days for Munich is ok. Munich to Fuessen is also a short drive, visit already a castle or church on the way, so the next day will be relaxed. Fuessen to Baden-Baden is somewhat longer, but you can make it in one day. Baden-Baden itsself is a typical German spa: If you have seen one you have seen all.
Baden-Baden to Brugge will be a whole day's drive, but you can make it, particularly on a Saturday. Full day in Brugge is o.k. From Brugge to Amsterdam it is just a short drive. You have plenty of time for Amsterdam; maybe 3 nights would do it. Then you could use one day to stay in Cologne, a city which is full of history, both Roman and Medieval (you can make Cologne either on the way from Baden-Baden to Brugge or from Amsterdam to Bacharach).
On the Rhine you have plenty of time, and the drive from Bacharach to Frankfurt is short, but it is a good idea to stay at an airport hotel, so you have no troubles with check-in (allow at least two hours for U.S. safety procedures before departing time). My tip: The Sheraton at Frankfurt Airport, which is part of the Airport building, so you just to walk to the check-in counter. An less expensive alternative might be the Best Western, which is two or three miles from the Airport (shuttle bus).
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Direct quote from my astounded husband: "what the hell map program is that??" What route did they say to take? If you can find a way for us to get between B-B and Brugge in three hours by car, we will personally pay for your lodgings in both cities!

I would disagree that B-B is just another German spa town. In the last 4 years it has made quite a transformation and now quite sparkles. It's much more international than it was in the past few decades (where it had gone downhill somewhat), thanks to the influx of inexpensive Ryanair flights, popularity with well-heeled Russian visitors and a strong commitment by the regional government to marketing the town.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hey, you need a good route planner. Try www.map24.com!
You have indeed some sections with a whole day driving time. So a stop in Cologne between Baden-Baden and Brugge is a good idea.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much BTilke and traveller1959 for all your thoughtful responses. I chose Baden Baden as a stop over on the way to Brugge to break up the trip. Sounds like there are mixed reviews about Baden Baden. And I went back and checked Maporama and it actually indicates 5.5 hours not 3 - my mistake. I loved your husband's response BTilke! Stopping in Cologne sounds like a nice idea but I can't steal a day from Amsterdam as it's my husband's wish to spend 4 nights there.