Search

Rome: Hotel Artemide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: Hotel Artemide

Has anyone stayed here?

Looking for some information on the general area and the ease of getting to the main attractions (i.e., Navona, Colloseum, Vatican, etc.).

We booked for our 10 day stay in the spring based on reviews on Tripadvisor, and for the cost. We ended up doubling our accommodation budget and this was where we ended up. We couldn't afford the 300-400 euro hotels. As it is, this one is in the realm of 250 euros/night and includes breakfast and free mini bar.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM

You are paying 250 euros/ night for the Artemide??!! Is that for a suite? I almost stayed there this past summer (ended staying at another place ) and at the time they were asking around 150 euros for a double. Maybe it was considered low season.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I think for the location you'll be in (which isn't awful, but is not by a long shot the best you can do), that's a bit pricey. Have you looked here?
http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

I think it's within your budget, is better-located, and has a nice staff.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM

Have you thought about getting an apartment? You may not get all the services as you would with a hotel, but for a 10 day stay you could save a lot.

Check out Flamini Domus (I found it on TripAdvisor). I'm planning a trip in May and just booked it for 120 Euros per night for a double with and en suite bath. Its more like a B&B, because the hosts are around and stock the fridge and cabinets for self-serve breakfast, and the kitchen is shared with another apartment.

Its in a great location near Campo de Fiore and Piazza Navona. The reviews were all positive, so it may be worth a look.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:37 AM

I stayed there in April 2010 for 3 nights. Cost me 99 euros a night from the web.

Location is fantastic, easy to walk to most main attractions, and there are some great shopping and restaurants around.

The service was good, though on the downside, the walls were pretty thin (could hear the other tv easy in the next room), and even though the minibar is free - it's stocked with the very raw basics, not your typical minibar...(it has a couple of beers, juices and water etc....not a raft of different drinks)

I would stay there again, but no way for the price you have been quoted unless you are getting something exceptional????

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the advice marketridge. I read reviews about the thin walls, but my husband and I are ok with that since we're not light sleepers.

The reason its 20 Euros more per night is because I'm going the last week in May. May is considered high season, so ALL of the hotels in Rome (and much of Italy) charge more. The next best rate I could find without non-refundable prepayment (at a place I was willing to stay) was 180 Euros. It was a B&B near the Republicca station, and I'd rather save 60 Euro a night and stay in a great location
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

We're not getting something exceptional. It's a superior double with breakfast. But looking at all the rates online, it is pretty good. We're going mid-May and this is it. It is just plain expensive. The hotel has really good amenities, which is why I think the prices are so high.

We thought about an apartment, but DH isn't really liking that option. He's very worried about financial recourse if the place isn't up to par. It's not something we've done before and he feels more comfortable at a hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I think marketridge was talking about the Artemide abenedek and not your B&B.

I was looking again and didn't see any reviews about thin walls at the Artemide. The only negative thing I read was about firm beds, but that wasn't consistent.

And I looked more at the amenities and prices and it's really the best deal. I wonder if prices are so high this May because they think the economy is bouncing back? I heard that hotel prices could be 20% higher this year.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM

twiggers,

You should monitor prices at the Artemide for your dates every so often. If prices go down then you could ask them to honor the lower rate. May is indeed considered high season in Rome, prices decrease substantially in late July/ August so that's probably part of the reason for the discrepancy between the price I got and yours.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Cruise: Thank you for that info! I was indeed checking today and the price had increased. It's funny, I check for price drops on my cruise everyday and need to start calling American everyday for openings on one of my reward flights (trying to get an earlier departure from Rome to spend more time in Madrid).
Ahhh...the joys of travel planning!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Twiggers, oops! I'm very new to these forums and got confused, sorry

Have you asked the Artemide for an extended stay discount? I imagine your stay is longer than the average for the hotel.

I had emailed Residenza Cellini (near Artemide) and they offer a discount with a minimum stay of 3 nights. A double that was 235 Euros/night became 220 euros (200 euros with cash payment). Maybe Artemide would be willing to offer something similar.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM

abenedeck,

We ended staying at the Residenza Cellini last August instead of the Artemide. I booked that hotel based on the rave reviews on Tripadvisor which talk about big rooms and big bathrooms. Also decided to go for an extra day to get the discount. Well, we must have gotten the smallest room they had! It was tiny, as well as the bathroom (the shower was a joke, we barely fitted, and we are thin!). I was really upset as it was nothing like the pictures in their website. I also didn't care for their breakfast room or what they offered, a few tables all cramped, people standing around you, waiting for you to free the table. Some of the people manning the front desk were just weird.
I know I'm in the minority regarding this hotel, but I would have appreciated knowing in advance about this room. I would have never accepted it.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Sorry for the confusion, my stay was at the Artemide, not the B&B....
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM

marketridge,
it was my mistake. As I mentioned, I am quite new to these forums. Also, I've spent so much time looking at different hotels and B&Bs in so many different cities that I've thoroughly confused myself

cruiseluv,
I appreciate your comments, and they make me feel even better that I decided not to stay there (sorry that you had such a bad experience). I was just mentioning it because of the minimum stay discount, and maybe twiggers can negotiate a discount at the the Artemide because he is staying so long.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Abedenek, I thought you may be considering it so I wanted you to be forewarned. Glad you found another suitable place.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip re an extended stay. I should email them and see if there is something....we are staying for 9 nights.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Our favorite place to stay in Rome is the Navona Suites B&B (love it!). They have front desk support during the day & until about 7pm (she let us use her pc for free to get our bording passes). 1 block from Navona Square; walkable to the Vatican; Campo de Fiori couple of blocks away; walkable to the Pantheon. Buy a multi-day bus ticket & take the mini-bus (forget but it's #114/116 or something like that) to Via Veneto - very convenient & multi bus stops very close to B&B. Can take several buses to the Ancient City area.

I don't know your exact dates, but I found the DaVinci Uno for 1830 euros for the 10 nites. You get a kitchen in each unit & there is a grocery just a couple blocks away. The suites are lovely & roomy & we love the location. The fridge is stocked (free) sometimes - not consistently every day; seems to depend on their shopping habits. When we saw the maid, we asked her to give us X & X every day & that worked. There is free daily maid service, but we tipped her at the end of our stay.

IMPORTANT - Don't get the Raffaello suites - they get noise at night from a bar somewhere close.

If you call rather than booking online, negotiate the price down. We have always gotten at least 10% off when staying 7 nites or more. We also have negotiated not paying all upfront; sometimes nothing to few hundred dollars.

This is considered a B&B, not an apartment. So, no utility, damages, security, etc. charges. Just the per nite rate.

The suites are in a c.1500s building with interior courtyard on the lovely & interesting Governo Vecchio street. Lots of good places to eat nearby.

http://www.navonagardensuites.com/
http://www.navonagallerysuites.com/
don't know why but they have 2 websites for different units.

Good luck & enjoy.

Julie
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Julie....only the Raffaello is available for our dates.