Amsterdam to London

Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam to London

I want to change my work to London,so I hope to take my cats from Amsterdam to London,what kind of traffic will be better for my pets to import London.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM

lots of cats relocating to and from Amsterdam. Why don't you just drive them there.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM

I think you should check the rules about importation of animals first:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

Yes the UK can be especially anal about that.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM

You also need to go through ALL the links on the page Patrick has quoted to make sure you fully understand:
- the pet passport system and the six months you currently have to wait from the blood test to the earliest the cat can be landed here
- the very short 24 hour period in which the animal needs checking for ticks by a registered vet before being allowed to embark for Britain
- the restrictions on the transport you can use. If you follow the links for transport companies, you'll see that BA requires the animal to travel in the hold, and the car ferries require it to stay in the car while the boat's sailing, and you're on deck. I THINK (but I'm not sure) KLM lets you take the cat into the cabin.

The only other way (I think) you can keep the cat with you all the time is on the Eurotunnel car shuttle.

Note that, without BOTH a pet passport at least six months old AND a tick test betwen 24 and 48 hours before embarkation, your cat will be put into quarantine in Britain for six months,
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM

Yes we are being anal in wanting to keep our 100% rabies-free status.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM

so do all other European countries but they let animals who are certified vaccinated for rabies circulate freely i believe.

And haven't there been outbreaks of rabies in foxes and other 'vermin' in the UK - i should not have used the term anal as i sympathize with the UK policy personally.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM

>>so do all other European countries but they let animals who are certified vaccinated for rabies circulate freely i believe.<<

So does the UK. The point is, you have to have the certification.

But I should have noted that there is a curious coincidence between the OP (the only post by this poster) and one about bringing cats to Amsterdam (also by a first, and I suspect only, time poster), which has since disappeared....
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM

In the words of Mr Ed: "There's something rotten in Denmark (Macao, Amsterdam) and i'm getting a good whiff of it over here."

But audere est farce - isn't it much harder to bring a pet into UK than across other EU borders?

I know that cattle have been moved back and forth between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland to be counted per head for EU subisidies in both countries but that's the only relatively easy animals into UK i believe?