passport query in holland

Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

passport query in holland

so im traveling to England from the US, with an American passport,My question is, will my passport be stamped when i fly to amsterdam from there? id rather my parents didnt know i went there..
thanks for the help, much appreciated
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Oh, just do it, omariok! I have a feeling why you want to go to Amsterdam. I don't know how old you are but, in my opinion, if you're old enough to travel alone you're old enough to go where you want.

We have a 20-year-old daughter living in the Netherlands now. Just so you know, "coffeehouses" are all over NL and not just Amsterdam. They are quite prevalent in Maastricht, where our daughter is. We sent our two younger daughters (17 adn 18) to visit her and they all checked out a coffeehouse together. I didn't ask for details as it's all part of the experience. To paraphrase, "What happens in Netherlands, stays in the Netherlands."

To answer your passport question. I've only experienced hit or miss when it comes to getting my passport stamped. When I flew from London to AMS mine was stamped, but other countries it wasn't. So, I don't know if there is a rhyme or reason. Maybe some more experienced travelers here will know.

c.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:52 AM

Heads up though...

If you are a college senior and will be starting a new job when you arrive back in the States, there are many companies doing drug testing. They don't carry that you were in a place where it was legal - it can be a showstopper.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:08 AM

So right, surfmom!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM

I'm figuring omariok is younger than a college senior, otherwise wouldn't be asking parental questions. But, yes, one must be aware of drug testing.

BTW - my 18-year-old was drug tested for an internship this summer, so that should be kept in mind, omariok.

Good call, though, surfmom.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:33 AM

There must be something else worrying you. LOTS of people go to Amsterdam w/o ever setting foot inside a coffeehouse. I don't see that a passport stamp says anything about what you did there.

So - c'mon omariok2 - tell us why you really don't want your folks to know -- we won't tell, honest . . . . .
Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:38 AM

During my more recent visits to Schengen countries - including flying into AMS last Septembe - they've alwasy stamped my passport when flying in.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

If you're old enough to travel to europe on your own you're old enough to tell your parents to mind their own business. And, for what reason would they be examining your passport?

If you're an adult you need to start acting like one.

(And that includes knowing that for MANY jobs drug testing is mandatory - and hair follicle tests can show usage up to 6 months previous.)

On the other hand - if your parents are paying for this trip - and set certain parameters for taking it - like no Amsterdam - I sugget you get a job, pay them back - and then do whatever you want.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Or just fly and/or train somewhere else - like Brussels - and then train up to Amsterdam. Buy some Belgian chocolates for your parents.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler,
Ever consider that things might not be as simple as you think?
Im 19,(legal age is 21 where i am, so my parents can do a lot to make my life hard should they choose to do so) and my parents ARE paying for me to travel to England, but im making my own way to Holland.
Im old enough to travel alone but why does that mean im old enough to tell my parents to mind their own bussiness? Is that how it works in new york? can 13 year olds there tell their parents to MTOB? i mean, you can travel to europe yourself when you're 13..

P.S they wouldnt "examine" my passport as such, but considering iv never used this particular passport, a stamp saying amsterdam will be very noticeable
Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM

They always stamp mine coming into Holland but are reluctant to stamp it on the way out. "What for?" the passport police asked me. He did it anyway.

The stamps are sometimes different. Last year they show a plane, NL, the date, and Amsterdam Schiphol. In the past Amsterdam was not on the stamp.

Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM

As a parent (and a high school teacher--so I've heard more than they think I have), I read this thread and immediately thought "he/she wants to do something he/she shouldn't be doing." Now, my instincts are generally good and my instincts tell me that you are feeling guilty just thinking about doing whatever it is you are planning. My advice to you is to save yourself the guilty conscience and be RESPECTFUL of your parent's TRUST (and money) and think through this from that perspective. Is whatever transitory pleasure you plan in Amsterdam worth losing your parent's trust over? If so, then go for it. If not, spend your time and energy elsewhere. That is for you to decide... Remember that trust is easy to lose and extremely difficult to regain.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

Kellye

I think you're right that omariok is feeling guilty already.

But omariok - really, just tell your parents that you'd also like to visit Amsterdam. What's the big deal? They may be cooler than you think.

I first went Europe when I was 16 on my own money. Experienced wine and clubs. We started having wine occasionally at home. And I came back wanting to go to clubs where the age in my state was 21 at the time.

I felt I had to lie to my parents when I went out ("I'm staying over Julie's tonight.") so I could go to a club. I really didn't go to drink and actually never bought alcohol until I was legally able to.

But the lying was a pain in the a** and finally I just told them "Look, I'm going out to Such and Such Club. I don't drink. Do you have a problem with this or should I continue to lie?"

The parents were actually glad I told the truth and they trusted me to make good decisions.

So think about telling your folks the truth.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM

I agree. Tell them that you want to go to Amsterdam and why. Have a discussion with them. You can decide whether or not you want to ask their permission (but tell them you are going regardless of if you ask or not).

Amsterdam is a wonderful city. Hope you get there. (And if you tell them you are going then you can also tell them how great it was).
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM

omariok

Lest you think my parents were really, really hip - they were not. My DH and I are far cooler, but my parents DID appreciate that I told the truth.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM

Well - I don;t know anyplace where you're not an adult at 18 - but I'll take your word for it.

If they paid for the trip - and made certain conditions (explicit or implied) then I suggest you act like an adult and abide by them.

I went to europe for the first time at 19 - with my boyfriend - but I paid for it myself. And my parents would never have attempted to tell me where to go - or not go. Nor have they ever examined my passport (that seems to argue a definite lack of trust on their part if they're going to be searching all of your papers and belongings.)

Have you given them reason not to trust you in the past? If not, I would have a serious talk with them about the privacy they owe you as an adult.

But - it is hard to take a strong stance if you're still living off them.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM

Omariok, a word of advice. If you do visit Amsterdam (or wherever in Holland) for the reasons we assume you are visiting, then do not, please, try Paddos (Magic mushrooms. There have been several cases lately of foreign visitors taking them and getting into serious problems. One French girl threw herself of a bridge.
In London it is now decriminalised I believe so you may not need to come here anyway.
Or you can always combine it with a cultural visit to the Anne Frank huis, Van Gogh museum etc......
But I agree that you need to think hard about this - losing your parents trust in you will damage your relationship with them for a long long time. Is it really worth the potentional heartbreak?
Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM

There's also the issue that if something should happen to you in Amsterdam, your parents won't know where you are. That's a strong negative right there, I'd say.
Jun 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM

He probably wants to go to the red light district and museum of sex LOL

Jun 9th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Just tell your parent you got sick of all the sexshops (Soho) and the marijuana sellers (Camden Lock Market) in London and decided to take a cultural sidetrip to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO