Amsterdam One day Itinerary Help

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam One day Itinerary Help

We would like to visit the following sites: Anne Frank House, Dam Square, Flower Market, Van Gogh or Rembrandt Museum, Red Light District and Canal Boat cruise, Can you help me with the sequence of these sights. We have 10 am tickets for Anne Frank House but not sure how to coordinate the sights. We are coming from the cruise port.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

By the way, we only have one day.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM

That is a lot in one day.
What time do you dock? what time do you have to be back onboard?

You could take the museum boat http://www.lovers.nl/en/museum-cruise/ which would take you on a canal cruise and to the museums you want to see.
You could walk from the Anne Frankhuis to the flower market and down to the Van Gogh museum then get the museum boat again from there back to Centraal Station, but it all depends on timings for you cruise.

I would skip the RLD - I never understand why people want to go there. Yes it is an historic area with some interesting buildings and museums, but that is not the reason most people go. They wouldn't visit the RLD in their own city, or suggest it as a place to visit for tourists. It is a place of exploitation, not a tourist attraction imho.

If you really want to see it then the canal boat cruise has to go I suspect.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM

I second the discouragement about the RLD. Don't.

Also, I wonder. walking all the way down from the AF house to the Flower Market and then to the Van Gogh ... (when are you visiting btw, it may not be open yet, due to renovations)

The Rijksmuseum has just opened again, and it is spectacular. I'd take that any time. Instead of the Anne Frank house consider visiting the Jewish Historical Museum and the Portuguese Synagogue. If you want you can include the Rembrandt House: it's just down the street, but the Rembrandts are all in the Rijksmuseum. Invest in a public transport pass for a day and take trams, you'll be able to cover more ground. If you start your day in the museumplein area and work your way back to the centre of town (Waterlooplein area) you'll be well placed to rejoin your ship too. Make sure to include the area of town just to the south of the cruise ship terminal: Kromme Waal etc: a beautiful area for a stroll: you could do that on your way back to your ship.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

We dock at 8 and have to back by 5. We can safely say that we will be off ship by 9 am, however, I mentioned that we already have 10:00 am tickets for Anne Frank House. Are synagogue and Jewish Museum in same area? We can certainly skip RLD. Thank you for the suggestion. Can we catch the tram at the port? Is the suggestion to take tram to Anne Frank House, then Rijksmuseum, and then tram to town centre? Where would the flower market fit into this schedule? Do we take tram to Kromme Waal?
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM

You can walk from PTA to the Central Station and take any Tram from there (5 and 2 go to the Museumplein area, 13, 17 take you to Westermarkt, where you need to get off for the Anne Frank house.

The JHM is on Waterlooplein (take back 14 from Westermarkt and get off at Waterlooplein) and is opposite the Portuguese Synagogue: the JHM is housed in a number of connected synagogues. From there you can meander back to PTA via Jodenbreestraat (stop by Rembrandt House), Nieuwmarkt (great spot for lunch is De Waag/Weighing House, where Rembrandt painted the anatomical lesson of Professor Tulp) Go by the Kromme Waal and via either the Maritime Museum (recently refurbished in a spectacular way), and the Nemo museum you take the foot bridge across to where the OBA is (public library): also a nice spot for a last cup of coffee: from there you just cut across to PTA and you're there at your ship again.

http://en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/plat...kaart2013.aspx

http://www.jhm.nl/english

http://www.rembrandthuis.nl

http://www.indewaag.nl/en/

http://www.tripadvisor.nl/ShowUserRe..._Province.html
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Great info - thanks menachem (I'll also have one day in Amsterdam, in June. We weren't planning to be in Amsterdam at all, but want to take advantage of the reopening of the Rijksmuseum)
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM

I used to live next to the Anne Frank House for a while. I would definitely recommend taking the tram system, because first time walking may take a while. But you can definitely walk around Amsterdam since it is small. The closest tram to the Anne Frank House is Westermarkt. You should go to Dam Square after that because they're very close by. The Red Light District is also very close to Dam Square and it doesn't take too long to see. It is literally right next to it, (AKA they have a really famous and good Thai restaurant called Bird in the RLD).

Flower Market is in an area/street called Koningsplein. That is the tram stop. I know that they moved the Van Gogh Museum to near Rembrandt Square for renovation but they may have moved it back so make sure to check on that

There is a place to get on the Canal Boat right by the Anne Frank Huis, so maybe do that before or after Anne Frank?
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 10:48 PM

When are you in Amsterdam? Van Gogh is closed until April 25 - there's a Van Gogh exhibition at the Hermitage until then.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM

The only point with the trams is that as far as trams go, Westermarkt/Raadhuisstraat and Museumplein have no straight connections, so you'll always have to backtrack to Dam to have a connection. That's why I selected sights that are on direct tramroutes: easy because it's tramstop to tramstop and that maximizes time to stroll around in a particular neighbourhood. Apart from Vondelpark the city is at it's most beautiful in the Waterlooplein - Nieuwmarkt area, so that's why I concentrated there. Hermitage is just around the corner from Waterlooplein by the way, on Amstel, so that too is in the same general area.

imo the canal boat ride takes a considerable chunk of time out of the day, time i'd much rather spend having a leisurely lunch in a place like Harkema, on Nes, for instance.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur..._Province.html