What's Not Shut Down at Christmas?

Apr 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

What's Not Shut Down at Christmas?

I would like to plan a family vacation in Europe during Christmas week but I'm afraid that I'd be losing several precious days because things are closed for Christmas (which my family does not celebrate).

Certainly London won't work, as they totally shut down for a few days. A few years ago we went to Paris and were delighted that a few museums (and of course the Jewish Quarter) were open on Christmas day.

I want to visit a cultural capital, not too cold, and be able to do something and get around even on Christmas and the days before/after.

Where to go?

Thanks!
Apr 16th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Consider Nice, France--lots to do, not too cold.
Apr 16th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Funny you should say that...I was just thinking of it myself.

Has anyone been to Nice over Christmas? What's open on December 24, December 25, December 26?
Apr 16th, 2013, 10:49 PM

The only day London totally shuts down is Xmas day...and that's not altogether true. Transit completely shuts down only on xmas day, but there will be places to eat (research in advance or ask your hotel for help) and central London will be blissfully quiet. London Walks does a special Xmas walk from Trafalgar Square every year. As long as your hotel is central you will have no problem. Boxing Day is a huge shopping day like most big cities, and some pubs, restaurants etc stay open in the evening Xmas eve. Transit on Boxing Day usually is the Sunday or holiday schedule, which shouldn't impact you sightseeing at all.

If there is something special you want to see just the website to see if they have special hours (true of anywhere at Xmas time!)
Apr 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM

I actually like London on Christmas day. As long as you are staying somewhere central and have a restaurant sorted out (probably in your hotel). It's very quiet, great for long walks, or cycling.

Boxing day, as Jamikins points out, is very busy; all shops are open. It's an extremely busy day in the shopping streets (stay away from Oxford Street).

But it could be cold, or more likely wet and windy.
Apr 16th, 2013, 11:19 PM

One Christmas we were in Malaga. We found people/families milling around enjoying the cafés and bars both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We celebrate the holiday so were not seeking going to museums or sightseeing those days, however, and purchased food to cook at the apartment.
Apr 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM

Amsterdam is open. All the museums are open at least part of the day.