3 days in Amsterdam

Mar 21st, 2014, 07:22 PM
Original Poster
3 days in Amsterdam

What would be a good itinerary for our 3 days in Amsterdam? We are interested in art, history, and architecture. Wow --and only 3 days!!
Mar 21st, 2014, 11:31 PM
I'd suggest looking at the various guides available and plotting them on the map.

A lot of guidebooks will have suggested itineraries, but with your interests, the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and Stedelijk, which are all close together, could easily take up a day and a half. For history, the Amsterdam City Museum (walk round the corner for a few minutes to the Begijnhof), the Resistance Museum and perhaps the Ship Museum also spring to mind. And a canal cruise seems an obvious option (several different companies, most based outside Central Station).

All about public transport (get a three-day pass), with maps:
Mar 22nd, 2014, 09:01 AM

Major museums are gathered together on Museumplein - three of them - half day or more there

Do a canal boat tour - either during the day or at night - I like night when all the old facades lining canals and humpbacked bridges are gloriously lit up

Ann Frank House

Wandering around the rings of canals - if into architecture pick up from the VVV (Tourist Office) branches like opposite Central Station a walking map pointing out architectural gems

Maybe do a short day trip to nearby Haarlem - 20 minutes by train - fine fine old regional town - Frans hals Museum there is very popular - in old palatial house.

Get a Museum Card that lets you into zillions of museums all over Holland - priority entrance at many skipping lines - go into museums you would never consider paying $10 or so a pop - just visiting the three major museums makes the pass pay off - buy it at any participating museum

Dutch Resistance Museum; Jewish Museum; Lord in the Attic; Reuben House; Bible Museum; St Petersburg Russia Hermiate Amsterdam branch in an old canal-side townhouse and the Troppen Museum - really different - showcasing third word street scenes by re-creating them - just a wonderful place.

The Red-Light District is said to be the number one tourist draw these days - puts off some but is safe to walk through and eye opening.

Coffeeshops - peek into one of these world-famous places where cannabis is sold over the counter from menus like a regular coffee shop)kofieshop in Amsterdam sells coffee; coffeeshops sell pot! Take a look - everyone welcome whether you smoke or not though you may well get a contact high - also edibles!
Apr 5th, 2014, 06:20 PM
for me...just walk the streets...you will get everything you need just by doing that...if you come upon a museum that you want to see, well then try to go in...3 days is just a recon order...I'll be going back on May 11 and taking my niece...don't worry about it...the city it self is fabulous...3 days of just wondering will give you pleasure...Our niece will be with us for 2 weeks..I've decided I'm not doing the tourist thing...we will see Amsterdam, then on to Brussels to see a friend, then maybe to Stuttgart to see another friend...maybe wine country in Bourgogne...as long as she arrives in Paris for her flight is all that matters...relax...we always try to schedule to much...let life lead you
Apr 6th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Have a read of http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-amsterdam.cfm. Full of ideas for things to do.

Walking is of course a great thing to do, and gives you a good feel for the city.

Buy tickets for the museums you want to visit online ahead of time, especially for the Anne Frankhuis if that is on your to do list.

Search this Thread