Amsterdam Smaller Museums and Churches

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Smaller Museums and Churches

Which smaller museums in Amsterdam do you recommend as a must see?

Museum Van Loon?
Het Gretchenhuis?
Rembrandt House?
Any other smaller museums that are good quality and not tourist traps?

What about the churches? Which are must sees?
Ons' Lieve Heer Op Solder
Oude Kerk
Nieuwe Kerk
Westerkerk
How much time should we expect to visit in each?
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:28 AM

That is Grachtenhuis museum not Gretchenhuis. About the Grachten, not somebody called Gretchen .

If you can get a visit you may enjoy Collection Six - Home
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:35 AM

What's the Gretchenhuis?

Museum van Loon, yes, also Willet Holthuysen, Rembrandthuis i find underwhelming, FOAM and Huis Marseille are good (photography)
Jewish Historical Museum (get a tour that also goes to the Portuguese Synagogue and its library).

Allard Pierson museum (Antiquity)
Ritman Library (mostly because of the building it's housed in)
Bible Museum in the very special Cromhout Houses)
Hollandsche Manege

Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder, good choice and also Oude Kerk (they're close together). Nieuwe Kerk usually has long running blockbuster exhibitions. Westerkerk: certainly if you visit the Jordaan area.

Museum Het Schip (Amsterdam School architecture in a pre-WW2 social housing project)

I don't know how long you generally like to spend in museums.

No museum, but a unique feature of historical Amsterdam:

https://awesomeamsterdam.com/jordaan-hofjes/

Do visit the "royal palace" on Dam Square, which of course never was a palace but Amsterdam's 17th century Town Hall for its city government, which had suddenly become the government of an economic and cultural powerhouse.

https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/over-het-paleis/

Last edited by menachem; Jun 15th, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Maybe Amsterdam Museum as well. https://www.amsterdammuseum.nl/en
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:32 AM

We loved the Jewish Historical Museum and the Portuguese Synagogue. I also never visit Amsterdam without going out to the Kröller-Müller Museum.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

hetismij2--Sorry about the typo thanks for the correction. Yes the canal museum is what I was referring. Thanks for the link about Collection Six! The Amsterdam museum seems it is geared toward kids? At least that is the impression I get from reading the guide books. Is that accurate?

menachem--Thanks for the additional canal house musuem--Willet Holthuysen.

StCirq--I would love to visit Kroller Muller but I don't think we will have enough time. This will be our first visit to Amsterdam and Bruges and then we want to squeeze in a few days to revisit Paris. So many things to see and such little time to see them all.

How much time would we need to dedicate to the smaller museums? About an hour or two to each? Which ones are your favorites?
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq
We loved the Jewish Historical Museum and the Portuguese Synagogue. I also never visit Amsterdam without going out to the Kröller-Müller Museum.
A similar experience can be had at gorgeous museum Voorlinden near The Hague (it's in Wassenaar)

Home - Voorlinden
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by europeannovice
hetismij2--Sorry about the typo thanks for the correction. Yes the canal museum is what I was referring. Thanks for the link about Collection Six! The Amsterdam museum seems it is geared toward kids? At least that is the impression I get from reading the guide books. Is that accurate?

menachem--Thanks for the additional canal house musuem--Willet Holthuysen.

StCirq--I would love to visit Kroller Muller but I don't think we will have enough time. This will be our first visit to Amsterdam and Bruges and then we want to squeeze in a few days to revisit Paris. So many things to see and such little time to see them all.

How much time would we need to dedicate to the smaller museums? About an hour or two to each? Which ones are your favorites?
I love Willet Holthuysen, also because of its literary history. 2 hours max, I would think.

The Amsterdam museum is in the very historical City Orphanage building, which is interesting in its own right. It's definitely not a children's museum. For instance it has these huge "Schutters" paintings, of which Rembrandt's Nightwatch is only one example. I went to see their Amsterdam DNA installation when it opened: really fun and insightful. And the Fashion Statement exhibit was also interesting to me (but I went with a friend who owns many pieces by Bas Koster, who is featured)