Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotel with Air-conditioning & elevators?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an air-conditioned room needed in Amsterdam during July and August. Also, which hotels have elevators and air-conditioning in Amsterdam that fodorites could recommend? I seem to need the air if it is hot and humid. I also tire quickly when walking up stairs.

Also, I would want a view of the Canals and so if there is a hotel anyone has stayed at with air-conditioning, elevator and canal view, please let me know. Thanks.

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Don't feel like a freak for needing a cool room to sleep in! Amsterdam has been known to have summer heatwaves.

The Ambassade has an elevator, air conditioning and canal views, but you absolutely need to specify you cannot walk up stairs and need to be in a room on a floor accessible by elevator. Also, you should specify you want air conditioning (I'm not sure it is everywhere in the hotel.)

It was quite pricey when I stayed there.

http://www.ambassade-hotel.nl/
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM

No canal view at the Marriott (Leidseplein area), but the rest would be provided.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM

The Pulitzer (part of the Starwood collection) has an elevator and air-conditioning. I've been in Amsterdam during a heat wave, so looking for a hotel with air conditioned rooms is a good idea for the middle of summer. We had a room that opened to the courtyard garden -- I don't know if they have rooms with canal views, but the hotel is on a main canal. I enjoyed the hotel and its location.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Based on advice we received here, we stayed at the Hotel American in Amsterdam. It had air conditioning. We always took the stairs, but it did have an elevator. It is on a canal....although we didn't have a view, I imagine that other rooms would.

In the end, we didn't really need air conditioning, but we were there in June. We liked the location and would stay there again.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM

Hi Princess,

Usually airconditioning wouldnt be needed here in Amsterdam, not even in july and august. Ofcourse there could be a heatwave just when you are in town. Even then, it will still be cool in my bedroom which is on a shaded side of my house. Since you're not staying in my bedroom though you may just be more comfortable knowing that if needed, you do have airconditioning, I don't know. The only thing I can tell you is that it is rarely needed and that most people here don't use, or have one for that reason. Also, even when it is hot here, it doesnt mean it is humid as well. It can just as well be a dry heat.

If you do get a room with aircon, pray for a heatwave please, I could use one. It's pouring rain and a storm is predicted and I'm really cold, just found out my central heating system isnt working. Maybe it's better to check for this in the hotel than the aircon
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM

IMO, as ignorant as it may seem, hotels in Amsterdam which HAVE air conditioning installed it for a reason.

I agree you can get along without it if you wish to and we have done so but these days stay in A/C'd places when possible.

Another, right on the Dam square is the Swissotel...cheaper than the Krasnapolsky and as well-located if you enjoy being in that area of the city.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM

Dukey
AC is installed because so many travellers think it is necessary no matter where you go. Besides some new hotels don't have opening windows thus you may boil over if it was not fitted.

I wonder how we all got on before the thing was so common...... Arr yes I know open a window! That is they have them new fangled technology.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM

Dukey, I am not sure if it is me you are agreeing with that you can get along without aircon? If so, read my post carefully, it's not what I said. I'll rephrase just to be clear and hope this won't escalate into one of the many yes/no aircon sucks/is great threads we have seen.

There are very few days in Amsterdam when temperatures get really high (for me I guess high means around 30 C, I understand that this may be different for different people!). There can nonetheless be days that you may find it comfortable to have AC. Again for me, this would be when temperatures get around 30 degrees celsius. This rarely happens here.

In 2007 the KNMI (Royal Dutch Meteorological Institute)measured 20 days when temperatures reached 25 degrees celsius or higher (the average is 22 days), one of these days the temperature was above 30 degrees (the average is 3 days).

http://www.knmi.nl/klimatologie/maan...ar/jaar07.html

Instead of telling TO what to do, I tried to give objective info so she can make up her own mind. I personally think she should do what ever SHE feels comfortable with.

By the way, I am still cold, my heating repair guy isnt showing up...
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:21 AM

sorry site link is in dutch, they do have info in english on the site as well, I just couldnt find the climate data
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM

If air conditioning was 'needed' in Amsterdam, I'd move there!

Most of the time it's awfully cool and wet.

I think it's true that hotel guests want it and natives don't need it. Most natives aren't living in one small room with a bathroom right off it.

I've always thought it was a pity that some of the prettiest residential architecture is New York City is marred by window-unit air conditioners jammed into all the original windows. It's hard enough for the Dutch to get furniture into many of their most beautiful houses. I can imagine installing central aircon systems would be nightmare. I hope they never think its necessary to put in window air units. The facades of urban houses in Amsterdam are some of the most charming I've ever seen, and their huge uncurtained windows are key to that.