Amsterdam hotel with air conditioning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found lots of interesting sounding small hotels and b & b's, but reading the info here it looks like maybe we should get something with a.c. if we are going in the summer? I'm having trouble finding a.c. in places other than the Marriott, Pulitzer etc. Either very characterless or very expensive. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM

I don't know how much you are looking to spend. I stayed at the Amsterdam American Hotel about 2 years ago. Reasonable by European standards, good location, very comfortable; worth checking.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM

There is a reason that hotels in Amsterdam don't have A/C - it is so rarely needed it is not worth the expense of installing it. Whilst I would like a summer where it would be nice I really doubt you will miss A/C in the summer - open the windows if you are too warm.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:40 AM

We just stayed at Boogaards over Easter http://www.boogaardsbnb.com/faq.html

And based on the link above they offer air conditioning. It was a lovely B&B, highly recommend it...very conveniently located and delicious breakfast.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:03 AM

I've appreciated having A/C in Amsterdam on the more humid days.

If it is so rarely needed then why do ANY of the hotels install it?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:09 AM

Because some hotel guests want and will pay for it?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:10 AM

Air Con is one of the factors in determining star ratings for hotels
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Dukey it is not worth it for small hotels and B&Bs. It is expensive to install, expensive to maintain, expensive to run. For the three weeks a year it may be needed, if we are lucky, it isn't worth the investment. Plus it is bad for the environment.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM

The Amsterdam American is part of the Eden Hotel Group, and I think some of their other hotels are air-conditioned also. Sometimes they have good prepaid specials, so check them out.

If you want to save money and get air conditioning, a Priceline bid for a 4* hotel is probably your best bet, but then you lose control of the location. You can see other posts here about bidding on Priceline. Currently, the most common hotel to win is the Moevenpick, which is not so central. See www.betterbidding.com .

We have visited Amsterdam twice in August and did not need air conditioning (nor did we need it in March, of course). But on our last visit, we were chatting with the owner of an Indonesian restaurant (a Dutch man married to an Indonesian woman), and he said that even Indonesians complain about Amsterdam's humidity during the summer. So maybe there are times when it does get bad.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Yes, it can get very bad in Amsterdam, though it's not likely on any particular visit of a few days. However, if you have heat-related health problems or if lack of sleep from being in a hotel room when it's 85 degrees with 90% humidity and no air movement would significantly reduce your enjoyment of your vacation time, then you might want to pay extra for AC just in case.

Our enjoyment of Munich was significantly reduced a few years ago when temps hit 90 degrees and it was humid as all get out. We had a hotel room facing an interior courtyard with windows that opened just a crack--so no air movement at all. By the second day we were walking around like zombies.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM

There is an Ibis hotel right at the Centraal station (about 150m to right as you exit). This is an Accor hotel, with reasonable price(less than E100) and it also has air conditioning.

However it really is just a chain hotel with no charm...but you are located right at the station, which is convenient for both walking in the city and also for taking day trips.

It really is hit or miss if you need a/c in Amsterdam. I have been uncomfortably cold in June and July on trips, but also got a terribly stuffy room in a guesthouse during a heatwave and it was horrible.

So it really depends on your tolerance, and risk profile. Rouss
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks. I'm checking out the American and Boogaards. We are a family of three, which may complicate things. If we drop the AC idea, any other suggestions of places that may have triple rooms (or a b&b with two rooms).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I've been in Amsterdam when it was hot and humid. We were happy we had an air conditioned room, otherwise, I don't think we would have gotten much sleep. We were there in June when the days are long. With the sun starting to set at 10:00 pm, the days did not have time to cool off when the sun started rising again in the early am.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I think we're going to stay at the American, although I admit it definitely seems odd to stay at a place called the American. Another option is the Toren, which seems to get more mixed reviews. The b&b doesn't have availability.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM

It must be fun, watching American zombies walking down the streets.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you drop the AC requirement, you can count on the mosquitos eating you alive. I can understand hotels not wanting to spend the money on AC (was in AMS one July when the high only reached 48F), but why can't they at least invest in screens? Why does all of Europe enjoy being eaten alive by mosquitos? And then there is the street noise.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I understand the reluctance to stay at Hotel "American" in Amsterdam, but I have to say it was one of my favorite hotels ever. Cafe Americane is really beautiful. My room had a lovely little alcove with an easy chair that looked out over a canal and Liedespleine.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM

>enjoy being eaten alive by mosquitos?
People use Autan
http://www.autan.com/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1

It was hilariously funny watching those american tourists in the mexican forest after a thunderstorm. It seemed they never heared of insect repellent and all were hunted by the bugs. Being a nice european fellow, I shared my Autan, but of course it was too late for them... You need to use it before the insects come
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM

The Ramada Inn Vondel park has A/C - a little short on the atmosphere but clean, near a metro stop and quiet. We stayed there on a last minute trip due to Queen's Day and most places being booked. DH stayed his first visit at the Marriott due to its central location and without little experience in the netherlands, he knew it would be OK. Next trip, I'd opt for the Pulitzer personally but the American hotel looked wonderful too.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM

The four star Hotel Estherea is in a very central location along the Singel Canal in Amsterdam. Just stayed there for 3 nights and it was charming with beautiful furnishings and excellent service. www.estherea.nl is there website and the breakfast is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -