Amsterdam Help!!

Search

Amsterdam Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Help!!

Leaving for Amsterdam on 2/5, staying in Leidseplein for 4 days and have 3 questions.

What is the best Amsterdam has to offer in the way of gifts (girlfriend/parents) and where are the deals?

Are there really any deals on diamonds in AMS?

What are the popular nightclubs there now?

Thanks for your help!!

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:55 AM

Where are you traveling from? There are no deals on diamonds that I'm aware of. The blanket statement I can make about the nightclubs is that their popularity really depends on the promoter handling business on a given night. Therefore, I wouldn't suggest a specific place. That goes for a lot of clubs. You'll have enough fun just hanging out on the square. Bring an umbrella though because it's been pooring like a dog.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:31 PM

Here is a fairly decent listing of some bars/clubs around A'dam:

http://www.boomchicago.nl/Section/Re...ngOut#continue

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:57 PM

My g-friend does some promotion work at the Paradiso.. The entertainment can vary from night to night.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure what you're looking for in diamonds - but retail diamonds are not cheap in Amsterdam, especially with the dollar so weak. If low cost is the deciding factor and it's something substantial you would do better in New York (47th street) if its a trinket you would do just as well at the local mall.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Leidseplein is a wonderful district!! Really fun. When you arrive pick up one of the free weekly entertainment guides offered at hotels and shops for club listings. Sorry didn't do any high-end gift shopping so can't help with that.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice and links so far. BigFeat, I'm 34 traveling from Chicago with 3 buddies in their late 20's. I've heard good things about Paradiso. We're looking for upscale/high energy clubs.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:47 AM

I travel from Chicago to Amsterdam a quite few times during the year. I have to say the Paradiso is always buzzing. I can ask my girl what's on the agenda for that weekend you're suppose to be out there.

You should check out the Krasnopolsky hotel located in the center of the square. Since you're traveling with a group of friends you should be able to split the bill for some nice rooms. That's definately my favorite spot to crash when I'm out there.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:31 PM

Hey - my fave shops for gifts are HEMA and V&D. Verrrrry middle-of-the-road but unusual stuff for our Anglo-Saxon tastes !

Check this for listings:

http://www.amsterdamhotspots.com/club.html
http://www.amsterdamhotspots.com/lounge.html

HTH & have a blast in A-town
: )
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM

Ministry is also a cool club with really good house, drum&bass, garage and international dance music, but there can be a wait sometimes, 'cause the capacity is 300.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Gifts you should be able to find something at the Single flower market,with the dollar in the dumps against the euro i would not bother,
just pick something up at the ap on the way home.
no deals on diamonds , there is a real
cool club next to the Hotel Agora 416
Single that is hopping on the weekends, they played some cool house music and some cool dj mix stuff. I found the clubs are only open Friday & Sat night and maybe Thursday.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Gift ideas: chocolates, cigars, tulip bulbs (with phytosanitary certificate), poster size reproductions from the Rijksmuseum, wooden shoes, Delft china, silver antiques.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM

For really special and out of the ordinary gifts you can go to the Looier Kunst & Antiek Centrum (Elandsgracht 109). I spent a long while walking to all of the stands, saw lots of neat old/rustic/special items..
Depends on the person your buying the gifts for though obviously!!