Amsterdam B&B recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ll be in Amsterdam at the end of May 2020. I’d appreciate any recommendations for a B&B. We don’t mind using public transportation so city center isn’t required, although it’d be nice. We’re not into super fancy, posh, trendy places. We like comfortable, en suite, quiet, and a good, healthy breakfast. We’re in our 60s and not into night life. In other places we’ve stayed in B&Bs where our hosts gave us advice and tips on what to see.
We’d like to stay under €225 per night.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:08 AM

I can’t help with exact lodgings but I’d suggest you steer clear of the Centrum area.. very crowded. Try de Pjip area.. Jordaan or Museum district.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 12:24 PM

There aren't many B&Bs in Amsterdam proper. But if you decide to stay somewhere else, Haarlem, or Utrecht, say, there will be more. €225 is not much in Amsterdam.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know about B&Bs. I just picked a 2-star hotel in my one visit to Amsterdam. I'm posting just to agree about not staying in the most central area around the Dam or the train station or RLD.

It's a lot nicer out in the canal rings, Leidseplein, Vondelpark areas. But still close enough in to be convenient for walkability most places.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 10:32 PM

By the way, AbbyAdams here's a dedicated B&B site: beware in Amsterdam though: many illegal AirBnB properties also advertise as "B&Bs" to dodge shortstay letting regulations.

https://www.bedandbreakfast.nl/bed-a...lands/c2759794
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Motel One Waterlooplein has a lovely organic buffet breakfast, nice rooms, a bar area, and is about 3-4 mins walk from a tram stop, 5 mins from the metro, and 10 mins to edge of old town/red light district. It's a bargain by Amsterdam standards and will be half of what you've set aside per night. Its not a B&B, strictly speaking, more a hotel, but I really liked it.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great but they’re already booked full when we’ll be there. Darn
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've stayed twice at The Neighbor's Magnolia Hotel, once when it was under its original ownership as Hotel Zandbergen and once under the new ownership. I know it says hotel, but it's really a B&B, I think. It fits your price range and is conveniently located a couple tram stops up from Museumplein near Vondelpark. The tram runs right in front. It's a nice residential area and you can get to the Centrum very quickly by tram. I love it there. Problem is they don't book online past March 2020 right now (their online site shows as "no availability" for all months after that), but if you call or email they will book out farther. (A work colleague did so last summer).
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 09:18 AM

Don't know the hotel amyb mentions, but it's a VERY nice area!
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Several years ago, we loved staying at the Hotel Residence le Coin, which is in a great, central location.
The rooms are large and include kitchenettes.
The hotel offers a breakfast buffet for an additional fee. I don't know what their rates are now, though.
https://www.lecoin.nl/kamers/hotelservices/
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyAdams
Sounds great but they’re already booked full when we’ll be there. Darn
Try to book at Pension Homeland, either in the hotel, or in one of their serviced apartments. The area where they are located is great, like a green island in the city, and no hordes.

They're on booking.com too but better to book directly with them. I hope they still have rooms for your dates.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Re Motel One, check both booking.com and their own website. And check regularly - they will not be fully booked this far out - it’s more likely they’ve not released all the rooms yet.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 02:48 PM

We stayed at Sir Albert Hotel last year and would not hesitate to recommend it or stay there again. Amyb - the place you mention looks great too.