Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam in Sept & Amsterdam House Houseboats

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We are traveling to Amsterdam in mid-September. Any ideas on weather? I've been looking for a website that gives an historical forecast but havent been able to find one for Europe. We are renting a two room houseboat from Amsterdam House. I read some 'older' messages but was wondering if anyone has used them recently and what they thought?They are located near the river Amstel near Amstel 62 bridge. I suspect it will be on the noisy end so I think i will pack some ear plugs! Thank you!!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:44 PM

The temps are supposed to reach about 65F today (close to 80 yesterday!) and stay cool for a while (probably not less than 60/day, 50 evening). It hasn't rained for weeks and weeks, but do expect some rain and wind - it would be more normal than the drought we've had this summer.
Your location is excellent - hope you have a great stay!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:59 AM

You can get historical averages on www.weather.com
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:59 PM

Amsterdam Houseboat has had a bad reputation for years. It's dirty and overpriced plus it's by the bridge where drunks and dopers fight and yell at night. If that doesn't keep you up, people walking on the sidewalk and river traffic will. Pass on this if you want to sleep.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 04:59 AM

Another thing to consider about staying on a boat. Last year I stayed at the Amstel Botel in Amsterdam. It's a permanently docked passenger ship now serving as a hotel. Great location in heart of the city near the train station. Only problem is if your room is at the water level you constantly have locals in small boats pulling alongside and looking in your windows. I found that more than a bit unnerving.

Larry J
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Has anyone booked an apartment through Amsterdam House? We are considering doing so and would love to hear others' experiences with the company as well as what you thought of the apartment.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Hi;
We will be in Amsterdam in November and have booked in Amsterdamhouse hotel. They have recommended us to stay in houseboat but I wonder if there is any good comment? As I read this will not be a good idea

Waiting for your messages!!!!!

Thanks;
Nurgül