Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

American wants to use Ryanair for Dublin/Glasgow Glasgow/London!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Philip

<BR>I just spent some time on their website and have questions. My wife and I will be in Ireland, Scotland and London during latter May to early June ('03). We want to fly from Dublin to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Once arriving in Scotland, we will immediately start driving up to Lock Lomond area. At the end of our Scotland leg, we will be in Edinburgh. We will probably reserve a car through Auto Europe. I have questions about:<BR><BR>Anything I need to know about Americans booking through website flying Ryanair?<BR><BR>Is Dublin (DUB) the major Dublin airport?<BR><BR>Should we fly into Glasgow Prestwick or Edinburgh-EDI (considering Lock Lomond destination and Auto Europe car rental)?<BR><BR>They only fly out of Glasgow to London!<BR><BR>How far is it from London Stansted to downtown? Any shortage of cabs or vans into downtown London?<BR><BR>They show 3.99 EUR (or 14.99 EUR for other departure times) next to one way flight from Dublin to Scotland. Since that is too low for fares ~ can anybody help with what fares should be? They are showing 1.99 GBP up to 22.99 GBP for flights from Prestwick to Stansted. Appreciate help understanding what fares would be.......<BR><BR>What am I forgetting to ask?<BR><BR>Thanks alot ~ Philip

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Sheila

The only question I'm qualified to answer is ...fly into Prestwick not Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Incidentlly it's known as Prestwick. calling it Glasgow Prestwick will just confuse us natives.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Gordon R

The prices you saw were real enough- but study the small print on the website; additional taxes and &quot;security&quot; charges apply, typically another &pound;12 per person. Still a bargain though, if you don't mind the no frills service and using slightly out-of-the-way airports. Be sure to book early to get the best deals as prices go up steeply nearer the departure date.<BR><BR>One more thought, why not stop overnight at Ayr (next to Prestwick). Its an attractive and historic town (due to Robert Burns connections) in its own right.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Frank

Prestwick is the airport with the long runway and the airport that used to receive US flights. Glasgow has the shorter runway but now accepts US flights. Glasgow Prestwick is an odd term that nobody uses. <BR><BR>Dublin (DUB) is the main airport in that city. They don't have a 2nd airport that cheap airlines use.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Kirsten

Philip - to get into London from Stansted, I've found the train (Stansted Express) to be the best option in terms of time and price. But check the link below to compare options. <BR><BR>http://www.airwise.com/airports/euro.../STNtran1.html

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Carolina

I flew to Rome in June with Ryanair for 15 pounds including taxes, the fares are real. There are only a limited number of seats available at the low fares, as the planes get booked up, the fares rise - this is how they make their money (same with easyjet, another low cost airline which is based at Luton airport, just north of London).<BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Linda

The fares are real enough. My husband and I flew from Frankfurt Hahn to Oslo for $34/return for both of us including taxes. If you go a little further into their booking process you'll see the final cost before you commit (there's also a 5 Euro fee for booking). Definitely pay special attention to their luggage size and weight restrictions as I've seen at least one person repacking their bags at the counter each time I've been there. Also, be sure to check into time and prices for transport to or from their airports. Our bus into and from Oslo cost more than our plane tickets, and took longer than the flight itself.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:37 AM
curt

Philip<BR>In September we used Ryanair from Edinburgh to Dublin. I had booked the tickets via their web site months prior to travel, had our Confirmation number, and had NO problems at all. The price was amazing, the service good, the flight uneventful. Do not be afraid to use them. Only caveat is to check which airport they actually use. It is not always the main airport (although in Edinburgh and Dublin it is). Have fun

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Keith

Firstly, you shouldn't have any problems booking from the US - lots of people here have done it as did a friend of mine from MN last year and she had no problems.<BR><BR>The fares are real enough - if you get a good one, though, book it quick. Taxes will add about another 25GBP to to cost, but it will probably still be cheaper than BA.<BR><BR>Prestwick is about 30 miles south west of Glasgow, on the Ayrshire coast (very near to Troon.) There's a direct train which takes - I think - about half an hour to the City Centre, and it's reasonably easy to get from there to Loch Lomond.<BR><BR>As for coming back, you could also look at Easyjet from Edinburgh to London (either Luton or Gatwick). In all three cases (Luton, Gatwick and Stansted) you can get a train into central London from the airport.<BR><BR>Hope this is some help to you.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Russ

The fares are real. The way they do it, aside from increasing the price as bookings for a flight increase, is to fly in and out of secondary airports. In otherwords, Gatwick instead of Heathrow..<BR><BR>Prestwick is no problem. The train stops right at the airport if you want to get up to Glasgow before renting a car. The ride is actually scenic along the coast. Route your driving from Glasgow to Loch Lomond.<BR><BR>Personnally, my wife and I flew Ryan in the opposite direction, Prestwick to Dublin.