Reload this Page >

Amalfi or Cinque Terre?

Search

Amalfi or Cinque Terre?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Lola

Amalfi or Cinque Terre?

<BR>My husband and I would like to devote part of our Italy trip to the coast. We have about 3 days of flexibility, and plan on spending some time in Northern Italy and some time in Southern Italy - I wondered which of these coastal areas people think are absolutely not to be missed, or what the different attributes are. I have heard both are amazing, but I know we need to make a choice. We want to take in the scenery, but aren't big loungers. The idea of hiking at CT was appealing, but we also want a lot of romance (not that many places in Italy lack for romance). This may be our last vacation without a family in tow - help!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Alan

It is kind of hard to advise a complete stranger where to stay. Of course, Amalfi coast is beautiful and the CT is too. It depends on time of year, your financial means.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Lola

Hi, ok I will clarify a little - we are on a somewhat modest budget. Looking for probably a charming little b&amp;b without any frills (hoping the natural surroundings will provide that). We will be there in late May. Any words of wisdom?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Alan

Lola, love your movies by the way, now I can say that you should visit Amalfi Coast in May, it will be warmer in the South to enjoy outdoor activities. Stay in Sorrento and take the bus down the coast, and to Pompeii, etc.<BR>Do a search here for hotels, etc. I would recommend, on a budget, La Minervetta Hotel in Sorrento. I think they have the best views on the coast.<BR>Have fun.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Liz

There MUST be something different about these 2 areas!<BR><BR>I was glad this was posted because I've wondered the same thing. Have not been to Italy, other than Venice, and have no immediate plans, but would like to hear a brief comparison of them.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:24 PM
mitzi

From what I hear CT is more laid back and Amalfi is more touristy/resort like. I also hear Amalfi is more expensive. While both are supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, the word I am getting is that the scenery in Amalfi is more dramatic, with steeper cliff drops to the ocean.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Paul

I'll try to address the &quot;differences&quot; between the Amalfi coast and Cinque Terre. Most importantly, the CT is more remote, much less developed and less costly. I'm unaware of any similar hiking trails such as the coastline trail in CT, on the Amalfi coast. At best you will find 3 star hotels at the &quot;ends&quot; of the CT, but none in the middle towns. Scenery is comparable in both places with some of the best is obtained by being in a boat. The primary transportation in the CT is by train which parallels the coast and is very convenient.<BR>The towns along the Amalfi coast are very much larger, much more developed and have been servicing those tourists for a very long time. 4 and 5 star along with less pricey places are present. The distances between towns is much greater. The Amalfi coast is more sophisticated and has a far less rural feel to it than the CT.<BR>As for recommending which one--very difficult as I think of them as separate. Both are gorgeous but in decidedly different areas of the country. I find it hard to think that their location would not be a factor in the decision. If you haven't gone before, you have to include Pompeii or Herculaneum in any visit to the Amalfi area. The CT is simpler, more basic and slower paced-don't rush if you go there. Good luck and have fun. <BR>Ciao--Paul

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:36 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>I've been to both areas and Paul did a nice job of laying out the differences.<BR><BR>The Amalfi Coast does have hiking trails but, as Paul notes, I don't think any of them are right along the coast, as the Cinque Terre trail is. <BR><BR>Personally, I felt the scenery along the Amalfi Coast was more drop-dead spectacular, but the scenery in Cinque Terre is also very striking.<BR> <BR>I'd say the biggest difference between the two areas is that the Amalfi coast is more sophisticated (as Paul said) and, overall, more expensive--and consequently is a draw for more well-heeled tourists--whereas Cinque Terre has a more rural fishing-village feel.<BR><BR>As for romance, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two areas. <BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Liz

Thank you Mitzi, Paul, AND XXX.<BR><BR>That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:51 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM
nancy

Dear Lola,<BR><BR>Sorrento has fantastic views of the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvious.<BR><BR>Take a hydrofoil ride over to Capri for the day and hike the trails - spectacular scenery. Walk down to &quot;Fish Village&quot; for great seafood &amp; pasta.<BR><BR>This past June we went to the CT and loved it - but the easier part of the hiking trail was closed for renovations and I let my husband talk me into hiking from Varnazza to Montorossa and what a mistake - way too much in the heat.<BR><BR>Both are great - but I lean toward The Amalfi Coast.<BR><BR>Have Fun and let us know what you decide.<BR><BR>Nancy

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:28 PM
x

I've been the the Cinque Terre and will visit again this May. I'm also going down to the Amalfi Coast. I would also guess that the food in these two areas is quite different. Am I off on my assumption?<BR><BR>Thx

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Marv

Was at the amalfi coast last Oct. It was the last leg of our holiday, having spent nearly 3 weeks in Italy and we decided that the Amalfi Coast would be a good way to unwind and end the holiday.<BR><BR>My wife and I loved the coast, though things were pretty pricey we felt. We stayed in Praiano, but would've preferred to stay in a more crowded town eg Amalfi or Sorrento as there weren't anything to do at night in Praiano.<BR><BR>What we liked about the Amalfi Coast was the beautiful scenery and the amazing quaintness of having houses built onto the cliffs. It's not a normal seaside resort as there aren't too many sandy beaches around. It was an amazing drive too, especially if you do it early in teh morning before the tour buses pack the roads!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Bill

CT is fine if all you want to do is relax and look at scenery. Take a book along if you get bored easily.<BR><BR>Both coasts are gorgeous--I prefer Amalfi coast as there is more to do and see. Sorrento is not on the Amalfi coast, and it is pretty touristy. There are several smaller towns on the actual Amalfi coast that are very nice and not a tourist madhouse.