Reload this Page >

Amalfi itinerary

Search

Amalfi itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:49 AM
Rocky

Amalfi itinerary

I am planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast for this summer. Any thoughts about the following itinerary:<BR>Fly into Naples. Boat over to Capri for 3 days. Positano for 5 days. Ravello for 3. Bus from Positano to Naples.Naples for one night then back to Seattle. I plan to use Positano as a home base for trips to the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Paesternum(sp?). Any suggestions on where to stay will be greatly appreciated. Has anyone ridden from the port in Naples to Capri? How about the ferry ride from Capri to Positano?<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM
Nora

To quote the Rocky Horror Show: Helloooo Rocky, I would suggest the Hotel Villa Franca, it is really nice and has wonderful views even in the annex. The bus into town stops right across the street or the hotel has shuttles. It is easy to take the ferrys around to islands and different cities, take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento for the sights.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
elisa

Recommend you change your itinerary. Instead of 5 days in Positano, spend 3 in Ischia &amp; 2 in Positano.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:47 PM
jay

Rocky,<BR>Hotel Parsifal in Ravello. Reasonably priced, friendly, and stupendous coastal views.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:44 PM
cathy

The Amalfi coast is beautiful. you can see the towns of both Amalfi and Ravello in one afternoon. Ravello is a short bus ride away from Amalfi. Do not rent a car. There is no where to park and the driving is too scary. You wiill also want to look at the scenery instead of the road. The public bus system is easy to use as are the ferries. From Positano you can join a bus tour to pompeii (about a 6 hour tour) You seem to be spending too much time in this area of Italy. You may want to consider flying into Rome and spending three nites there. Join a one day tour to Capri and don't use the return trip. On Capri try the Luna Hotel, close to town and a breath taking view of the famous rocks. Splurge on the waterview room here. For $100 you can hire a local to take you on a private boat tour around the island,to the blue cave etc.very romantic!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:09 AM
jt

Ravello worth just a few hour stopover. Positano is a relatively inconvenient base for daytrips, and not worth a terribly long stay on it's own merits. I would steal at least a day from Positano and 2.5 days from Ravello.<BR><BR>I would donate days back to Sorrento or Naples, and even to Capri. Pompeii convenient to Naples and Sorrento. Paestum convenient to Positano or Naples (train). Consider dazzling palace of Caserta, convenient to Naples.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:06 AM
k

Hi Rocky,<BR><BR>I too would spend a few days in Sorrento and less in Positano. Positano is only OK, and as someone else said, not the best town to use as a base. On the other hand, I loved Sorrento - it is a great little town, and would much rather stay there as a base. <BR><BR>Also, Capri is nice but there is not a lot to do - 2 days would probably be enough.<BR><BR>Good luck! You will love Italy!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
maria

Another vote for Hotel Parsifal in Ravello. Great views! Ask for a room with a view of the coast.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM
fred

None of the towns is great as a &quot;base&quot; because travelling is tricky. Sorrento is perhaps the best as buses and trains can be had. It is also lovely with shops open all evening.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Geoff

To reiterate in agreement the other suggestions in summary - two days in Capri, not three, pick one of Ravello or Positano, not both, then give back 2-3 days and use Sorrento as the base for both Pompeii in one direction and Paestum in the other. <BR><BR>For a base you need somewhere on the train lines instead of the bus routes. And that would be Sorrento. In Capri it will be really packed during the day, you definitely should stay over night, but stay in Anacapri at that time of year.