Reload this Page >

amalfi coast w/luggage?

Search

amalfi coast w/luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Joann

amalfi coast w/luggage?

Hi - I am trying to decide between hiring a private car and taking public transportation for a trip through the Amalfi Coast to Paestum then train to Cosenza. Is it a hassle to carry bags on the Amalfi Coast buses, ferries etc.? Just wondering if anyone has done this with luggage. Also has anyone used sorrentolimo.com? thanks!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:03 PM
gac

The Amalfi Coast is certainly doable by public transporation, IF you don't have too much luggage. Some hotels in Ravello and Positano are difficult to reach on foot with heavy luggage (although many offer porterage service on request). No problem with bags on the SITA bus from Sorrento or Salerno, or on the ferry boat or catamaran. However, the local bus from Amalfi to Ravello is a regular city bus, with no lower storage area for luggage (so you have to lift the bags up the steps of the bus). Paestum is a very easy day trip by bus or train from Salerno and a manageable day trip from Amalfi (connecting by bus in Salerno). You can proceed to Cosenza by train from Salerno. A rental car is useful but not essential, if your aim is to tour the main towns and not to stop en-route. During the peak of the summer, the SITA buses along the Amalfi Coast fill up quickly, as the fares are quite cheap, and the service is frequent and fairly reliable. You can catch the SITA bus directly in front of the train station in Salerno and the Circumvesuviana train station in Sorrento. The main connection point for buses along the Coast is at Amalfi.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Sue

We had planned to go by train from Naples to Sorrento, then on SITA to Positano; however, a taxi driver approached us in the Naples train station and offered his services. I guess we were &quot;easy&quot;, but we took him up on it and were very glad that we had done so. I don't know where the SITA bus stops in Positano, but I can't imagine rolling our luggage and carrying our carry-ons along the narrow road, trying to find our hotel, etc.<BR>We ended up having him come back to pick us up for the return to Naples, also.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Pat

We hired a driver (found his name on this site Giovanni-Tour of Italy) and we're very glad we did. He took us from Sorrento to Pos. and returned us to Naples. I think the buses do let out above the town in Positano.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:55 PM
gac

I believe that there are only two bus stops in Positano, one high up (Chiesa) and the other nearer to the seashore (Sponda). Regardless, there will be an invigorating walk to many of the hotels, probably involving steep steps in certain parts. Amalfi presents an easier picture, as many of the hotels are very close to the central Piazza where the buses stop. In Ravello, you have to walk to just about all of the hotels. Some hotels in Ravello are really inconveniently located (e.g. Villa Maria, Villa Amore, and especially Hotel Villa Cimbrone) and require the services of a porter.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Joann

We won't be staying in any of the towns, just Sorrento. We will be doing this all in one day. Which leads me to my next question, is it easier to transfer from bus to a boat in Amalfi or Positano? (I would like to break up all the bus rides with something different). Also if you take the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi can you stay on the same bus for the entire trip? thanks for all your responses!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Joann

We won't be staying in any of the towns, just Sorrento. We will be doing this all in one day. Which leads me to my next question, is it easier to transfer from bus to a boat in Amalfi or Positano? (I would like to break up all the bus rides with something different). Also if you take the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi can you stay on the same bus for the entire trip? thanks for all your responses!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:30 PM
gac

1. Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi is direct, with no change. 90 minute ride.<BR><BR>2. Bus to Boat transfer easier in Amalfi.