Search

AMALFI COAST vs. CINQUE TERRE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMALFI COAST vs. CINQUE TERRE

Hello fellow travelers!

We are going to Italy in 2 weeks and I cant decide where to spend more time: Amalfi Coast vs. Cinque Terre area...this is my first time to both areas and I am not sure where to spend extra time. We are simply interested in "touristy sighseeing".

After doing some research both areas seem great just not sure where to spend more time...
Thank you!!!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Both are beautiful, both will be jammed with tourists and it will be pretty hot probably. It depends on where else you are going, how you are getting around, and how it fits into your overall trip plan.

Cinque Terre in generally is closer to other popular sights (florence, tuscany, etc)

Amalfi Coast has the added bonus of being near Pompeii, Herculeneum, etc. That can also be a determinant for some.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM

What are your other plans? How many days and where? Do you have hotel reservations in both now? If not - you may well not have a lot of choice as to which hotel - or even which town to stay in.

CT is more about walking/hiking although the towns are pretty and you can relax if you want. Amalfi is more about sightseeing (Pompeii, Capri etc) and touring small towns.

Two weeks gives you very little time to make arrangements - and don;t see how you can just sub one for another - won;t it thow off all your other hotel reservations?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Amalfi coast hands down! Amalfi coast is absolutely stunning! CT is nice, but...definitely not a must see in my opinion. Also, there's lots more to see and do around the Amalfi coast area, Positano, Sorrento, Ravelo(sp?), Pompei, Capri, etc...Love, love Capri, next time we'll definitely stay 2 nights there.

We stayed in Levanto (couldn't get accomodation in CT towns) and drive to Monterrosso(better to take train), then train/walk to all the CT towns.

Yes, it was nice and pretty, but nowhere near breathtaking as Amalfi coast. Can't wait to go back there some day.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM
ira

Hi e,

I suggest either/or, not both.

A lot depends on the rest of your itinerary.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
We would like to cover both, if we can. This time around we hope to drive up the coast from the Amalfi coast to Cinque Terre...would love to see the coastline. I just could not decide where to spend more days...
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM

When are you travelling? I was on the Almalfi Coast last June- going to CT (and around) in August... if you are going after me I can post about it...