Cinque Terre vs Almafi Coast

Old May 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre vs Almafi Coast

There was a previous posting regarding this, but the suggestions were based on the itinerary of that couple. My apologies for double-posting.

I have heard wonderful things about CT, but also some reccommendations about AC.
We will be starting our trip in Rome...and that's the only solid plan we have
we will be in Italy for 2 weeks. My fiance wants to also try to end in Paris and spend a couple days there, but I digress.

Anyway, can anyone give me their input and advice about either one of these spots? Neither one have us have been to Italy before.

thanks!
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Do you buy your travel clothes at REI or at Talbots?
One is rustic the other is elegant--both are spectacular.

I would let my travel logistics dictate---the AC is harder to access and further south.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM

Hi Lanee - Personally I prefer the Amalfi Coast - breathtakingly beautiful - but either way you can't go wrong

Amalfi Coast views:

http://tinyurl.com/3coedn
http://tinyurl.com/yo582h

http://www.worldphototour.org/italy/...tano/index.asp

Our regular poster SeaUrchin also has a lovely slideshow - I'm sure she won't mind me posting the link:

http://www.pbase.com/mightyone/positano&page=all

Also -
http://tinyurl.com/2ml4cs
(- with thanks to Mark)

If you choose Amalfi, Easyjet fly the Naples-Paris route.

If you choose CT, Easyjet fly Pisa-Paris, Ryanair fly Pisa-Beauvais

Steve
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Cinque Terre is mainly visited by hikers - they have that spectacular hiking trail right on the rim of the cliffs. The scenery is breathtaking, the fishing villages are picturesque. Otherwise, there is not much to do.

Amalfi has a lot to offer
- one of the world's most spectacular coastline,
- the beautiful and historc town Amalfi with a Byzantine cathedral,
- the picturesque town Positano,
- the island Capri with the Blue Grotto (there is also an Emerald Grotto near Amalfi),
- Mount Vesuvius,
- Pompeii and Herculaneum,
- Napoli,
- the island Ischia with natural hot springs.

If you have several days time, Amalfi Coast has more to offer.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM

The Amalfi is alot busier with traffic.
CT is quiet and mellow.
It depends if you want a more active time or not.
Both areas are more beautiful than you can imagine.

Positano or Corniglia?
Corniglia would win..
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Is Talbot's considered elegant?

If you want to go to Paris from Cinque Terre, there are several flights a day out of Genoa.

It is a real (expensive) pain in the neck to sightsee to Pompeii and Vesuvius, from the Amalfi coast, so if you are going there because you think there is a lot more to do, you might find it an inconvienent base for doing a lot, although I think it's a pretty place to do nothing. Cinque Terre is also a pretty place to do nothing, but you can hop on a train and be either in Pisa or Genova -- or a lot of other places with churches as pretty as Amalfi's -- a lot sooner than you can get to Naples from Amalfi.

One thing you might want to consider is food. While both are seafood oriented places, Cinque Terre is oriented toward pesto, anchovies and whole fish, Amalfi goes for tomatoes and I forget what else!

You should expand your options to include other Ligurian towns, such as Camogli or Santa Margherita Ligure.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Zeppole, Nice to have you back---we missed you. I haven't been critiqued in a week. Of course Talbots is not elegant but did you get the idea?
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM

If you're considering the Almafi coast, I'd suggest basing yourself in Sorrento, from which you can go by Sita bus rather inexpensively to Positano, Amalfi, and Naples, and by ferry to Capri.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM

You wouldn't regret either one. Both have the stunning coastline with towns hugging the slopes.

What I like about CT is the access and the hiking for two or three days. As stated, you can walk for as long as you want along the coast, then hop a train or ferry back to your base. You can visit the villages, sit on shore, or do nothing. You can combine it with with Pisa or Lucca. It can be busy, but more with foot traffic.

When I went to the AC, I based in Sorrento. I found the bus schedule, ferry schedule and travel times limited the amount of time we actually spent on the ground. The walks were fun and the towns (and Sorrento) very interesting. The AC can be combined with a visit to Pompeii and Herculaneum and if you like, Capri.

So, we went to CT when also visiting Florence and northern Italy. We went to AC when also visiting Rome. I liked both. I like to group my destinations so only half travel in between to maximize my time on the ground in country.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Just asking, Bob.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

wow...what a heated debate!

I'm still at a loss. I guess we aren't big hikers, but I do think we will want to do some long walks. Perhaps I'm not sure what the difference is between hiking and walking! Sneakers vs hiking boots....we are sneakers type people, heels preferred. I don't shop at REI for clothing, so perhaps that means I'm more of a Talbot's kind of traveler. I do like that description, Bob.

Assuming we only have 2 or 3 days there, the reason we want to throw in one of these coast towns is to relax. I dont need a lot to do, as we will be coming from Rome and going to Paris. We just want a lovely relaxing part of our trip in between the crammed in tourist hot spot sight seeing. I imagine myself just walking along the streets and people watching, looking out to the sea, popping my head into a couple shops and enjoying the scene.

Does that change anyone's suggestion?
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Need more info:
Time of year
Rest of itinerary
How are you getting to Paris

The answer may be neither--there are other options.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM

If you go to Amalfi,I recommend you take the city bus up to Ravello. This little village has a musical concert venue which will give you a breathtaking view of the sea from a high vantage point.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM

If you don't know the difference between hiking and walking, I think Cinque Terre may not be for you. It is hiking, and often quite challenging hiking. And I guess Talbot's shoppers would prefer the Amalfi. Sounds right to me.

But if you are looking to simply escape tourists and relax, why not select a coastal town with easy access to your point of departure for paris and lots fewer tourists than those two places?
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

zeppole, go ahead and suggest away if you don't think those two are a good choice. We have just been told by almost everyone we have spoken to that we "must" go there. By the sounds of what you are saying, there is nothing to do in Cinque Terre but hike?

Bob,
Unknown. I've been recommended September and May, there is no "rest of itinerary" and we don't know how we are getting to Paris or if we are officially even going. We are not big planners...more "fly by the seat of our pants" kind of people
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:32 PM

CT was nice, but Positano was absolutely gorgeous! Also loved Capri and Sorento(cute). We were in Positano during our 2nd trip to Europe and wanted to see what CT was all about, if you've been to Positano, CT does not compare in my opinion. Positano is my favorite place in the whole world!
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM

I have not been to CT yet, but have been to the AC four times and it is never enough for me. The first time we went to the AC, we were also, like you said, kind of "flying by the seat of our pants". Our only plan was to go to Sorrento, for a couple of days to rest up before heading for Rome. Well, we never left the area. We stayed 10 days, taking ferries up & down the coast, taking long walks, climbing lots of steps in Positano, seeing Pompeii, Naples, etc. Have to agree with tetrabit about Positano being absolutely gorgeous.

We found it pretty easy to take the train from Sorrento to see Pompeii, and the ferries were great for going up & down the Coast and to Capri. Of course, there is also the bus and some folks drive.

Though we've been back three times, it was only for short visits and there are still several places we haven't been that we want to see. You can use the AC as just a place to relax, but there is so much to do there, I bet you will want to stay longer and do at least some of the touristy things.
Rest assured that no matter what you choose, you can't go wrong. After all, you will be in Italy.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM

There is nothing to do in Cinque Terre but hike or take boat rides, swim, eat, all the hedonistic pleasures. But there is nothing to do in the Amalfi except those things either -- unless you also tour Pompeii and Paestum, which personally I'd rather outside of the warm months of May and September.

The main difference between the two places is, as Bob pointed out, the clothes. The clothes sold in Capri and Positano used to be famously downscale. Now they are designer label and posh. And the restaurant prices can get up into the stratosphere. Ravello used to be an artist's colony for people without much money. Now some people use helicopters to get their hotels. But people do go to the A/C on a budget for both accommodations and eats, so you can avoid the cost if not the culture.

Also, le Cinque Terre is reachable by public transportation (15 euros) from Genova airport. Most often recommended is a private driver to getting to the Amalfi at a cost of 100e and up. It's also reachable by long bus and ferry rides.

Everyone tells you that you "must" go there because everybody goes or has been. They are undeniably beautiful places but there are other staggeringly beautiful places and islands in Italia with fewer tourists and lower costs. But if you don't mind being around many many tourists as the price of beauty and lots of hedonism, don't hesitate to go.

If you want to do something by the sea other than "take ferries, take long walks and climb lots of steps," (Sassafrass's description of the AC)l, what is it?

By the way, Genova connects to Paris with a direct flight, or via train through Torino and Lyon.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM

I should add that some of the least touristed parts of the area make world-class ceramics, both traditional and modern, if that interests you. And Napoli is culturally and artistically a much richer city than Genova, and infinitely more chaotic.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM

>>>There is nothing to do in Cinque Terre but hike or take boat rides, swim, eat, all the hedonistic pleasures.>>But there is nothing to do in the Amalfi except those things either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information