Amalfi Coast, May or June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide in what month to take a 10 night trip to the Amalfi Coast and we need to put in our vacation within the next few days at our jobs (yes tax accountants really are slaves, LOL!).
It looks as if airfare is certainly less expensive in May than in June. Is there a material difference in the weather between mid-May and mid-June? We'd both like to spend a day or two on the beach... is it normally warm enough by mid-May (realizing there are fluke years)?
Thank you! Feel free to add any other reasons for or against visiting in May
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:40 PM

I usually visit there in May/June. Early May can still be chilly, it starts to get warmer about the 15th.

It is less crowded then too, when I am leaving, usually in late May, the tourists are starting to crowd around.

So it is a two edged sword, you have warmer weather and crowds or cooler weather and more elbow room.

In June things are heating up in both aspects.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM

What is beach weather to you? We're from New York and found mid May in Amalfi to be plenty warm for the beach - definitely warmer than the North Atlantic we're used to. But if you like really warm water you may prefer to wait.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Melissajoy

We were in Amalfi/Positano/Ravello in mid-June, and the weather was nice. It was high season, but we found an inexpensive hotel that we were very happy with...Hotel Minerva in Sorrento. However, the next time I return I would definitely stay in Positano...Positano is cuter! Be aware that the beaches are tiny by U.S. standards, but the vertical cliff-side towns are so charming.

by This

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

topping for myself (blush) ;-)

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:31 AM

Mid-May is a good time, as long as you are prepared for changeable weather. It could be hot an dry or cold and wet. Amalfi is on abut the same latitude as New York, so think of the east coast of the US in mid-May, same changeable Spring weather. Take a look at weatherase.com and world.climate.com for historical averages. On a cold blowy day a ferry trip to Capri is not that fun, so keep your schedule flexible for day trips. The advantage of May is that the wisteria and other flowers are blooming and it is very lovely, plus it is a bit less crowded.

Just so you won't be disappointed, the beaches along the coast are virtually all rocky, not sandy. They are not that pleasant to lay on, IMO. They are certainly beautiful to look at from the water or from the land, but don't expect white sand (or any sand). A hotel pool is often a better place to relax.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:32 AM

Sorry, the weathersites are

weatherbase.com
worldclimate.com
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM

Definitely aviod any place in Italy after June 10th. Too crowded and too hot.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. We have nailed down May 18 - 29 so hopefully we will avoid the brunt of high tourist season and (fingers crossed) luck out with some warm weather! We are planning on staying at La Tonnarella in Sorrento and Albergo California in Positano... thank you for the heads up on the pebble beaches! I've encountered those in the Cinque Terre and they were definitely not to pleasant to lay on! Supposedly La Tonnarella has a "private sandy beach"... hmmmm, we will see...
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

Great timing--good choices---enjoy !