Amalfi Coast - honeymoon accommodations

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast - honeymoon accommodations

Hi,

My husband to be and I are going on a 3 week honeymoon to Italy. We've heard many great things about the Amalfi Coast and would like to spend a week there as it appears to incorporate both a romantic spot with historical sites. We're a little confused about where to stay, so I'm looking for suggestions.

We're planning on visitng either the first week of September (Saturday, August 28 to Saturday, Sept. 4) or the second week of September (Friday, Sept. 3 to Friday, Sept. 10). We have to be back in Rome on Friday, Sept. 10 to catch our morning flight on the 11th. We're looking for an accommodation with the following
- Air conditioning (very important)
- Terrace with a view (this is our romantic portion of the honeymoon)
- Something for 125 euros or less (or it that unrealistic for that area at that time of the year?)
- We want to make day trips to Capri for swimming and beaches as well as Pompeii for the history (one of my personal must sees)
- We will NOT have a car

We are interested in both hotels and rental accommodations

And just out of curiosity - are the crowds really horrible? We're 29 and 33 so a little action is nice, but I don't want to be pushing my way through crowds all day (I know August/September isn't the best time to go). I just want to know what to expect.

I've also been reading up on the Aeolian Islands. Is that worth a visit?

Cheers and thanks for your help/advice in advance.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Hi Sbaulch -

The first week in September is a delightful time to be on the Amalfi Coast. The weather is still fabulous, and all the crowds are gone! Sorrento is a great home base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. It's easy for access to the hydrofoil to Capri, as well as to either take the bus or drive down the coast to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc. I'd highly recommend the Bellevue Syrene hotel www.bellevuesyrene.it in Sorrento. It's on the cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples and Capri. You can request a room facing the water. They have little terraces which are very pleasant to sit out on in the evening. We were greeted upon return to our room the first night with a complimentary bottle of champagne. Rooms are large, clean and pretty. Bathrooms are immaculate. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great location for walking to most everything in Sorrento too. Most romantic. Can't wait to return there with my husband...as soon as I can drag him out of the Caribbean. We're doing 2 weeks in St. John in May, but I'd Love, Love, Love to go back to Sorrento! THREE WEEKS!! I'm so Jealous! Enjoy!! Trish
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I'd vote for Positano over Sorrento. My wife and I spent our first anniversary on the Amalfi coast last September. We stayed 4 days in Positano, and 3 days in Capri, with partial day trips to Amalfi and Salerno. Positano was our favorite town.

We stayed at Villa la Tartana in Positano. Rates are 150E for a double room. Nice place, bright, and good views of the sea. http://www.villalatartana.it/welcome_uk.htm

We enjoyed Capri as well, but its a town with two faces. During the day the island is packed with tourists. It's almost like walking with cattle. At night the town empties some, and becomes a much more enjoyable locale.

The whole Amalfi coast is beautiful so you really can't go wrong. It's easy to take boats or the SITA buses to the different towns. Hydrofoil schedules start to change in September. Make sure you know the current schedule from which ever town (Naples or Salerno) you decide to depart out of. Enjoy.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information - especially the advice on crowds. The Bellevue Syrene looks absolutely incredible, unfortunately at 280 euros a little out of our price range. Though I'd love to stay there. The Villa la Tartana looks closer to what we are thinking of spending. Candart, did you go at the beginning of September? Was it hard to get around - we really want to go to Pompeii but don't want to be stuck in traffic.

Oh and tpatricco you are going to love St. John I went in November of 2002 for a friend's wedding. It's an absolutely breathtaking island.

Thanks for your advice and help
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Hi,
My grandparents were born on the Aeolian Islands. (Stromboli).
I've been to several of the islands.
It was a rewarding trip for me but I don't think I'd travel there for my honeymoon. I think your doing it right just the way you are.
Congradulations!
Pete
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM

sbaluch - Check BS's prices, are what's shown "in season"? we definitely didn't pay that much, but it is beautiful. September should be quiet all over the Amalfi region, so it should be ok for going to Pompeii without summer like traffic. I'm sure any town you stay in around there will be good.

We've been to St. John. Honeymooned there in Feb '03...can't wait to go back. It is a beautiful island. I love Italy too though. Sigh...enjoy!

Trish
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Check out the Villa Rosa in Positano at www.villarosapositano.com It is just as it looks in the pictures; it has a spectacular view of both sea and mountains from your private terrace, where you will be served breakfast. It's an idyllic spot!
Unfortunately,it's now up to 143E, greatly increased in the last 3 yrs.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:38 AM

sbaulch - We were in Positano in mid September. The weather was beautiful, and the heavy summer traffic was gone.

I think you would spend (waste) an entire day getting to/from Pompei from/to Positano. Depending on how much time you want to spend in Pompei, you might be best off to schedule a day on the front or back end to stay in that area. Another option would be to hire a driver that would bring you out to the Amalfi coast, but could stop in Pompei for you to tour. There are numerous reccomendations for drivers on this site.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help and the advice about travelling to Pompeii. We've decided to spend 2 nights in Sorrento to have easy access to Pompeii and Herculaneum. And then 5 nights in Positano at the Villa La Tartana (the Villa Rosa was booked). We might shortend that down to 4. Thanks so much for your help - much appreciated!

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM

Another vote for the La Tartana... you'll enjoy it! And it's a great location, quick access to the beach for long romantic walks. And very close to many of the wonderful restaurants right along the water.

Do you know which floor you're on at La Tartana? We were on the top floor and I think you can actually reserve it if it's available. They may have already put you in it though because it's your honeymoon.

How are you arriving in Positano? Villa la Tartana recommended we hire a driver to meet us at the Naples train station. Having never had a private driver we thought it was a crazy idea, far too expense, etc. But then we realized that to make all our connections and get the most out of the trip after a long train journey from Rome we just took them up on it. They had a private driver there for us, and he brought us right to the village and also took us back to the train station when we were done. After having stayed there a few days, we realized that actually relying on the local bus to get us from Sorrento to Positano (let alone train from Naples to Sorrento) it was easier to have a driver.

Also, make sure you get at least one dinner at Le Sireneuse... we made the reservations in person and asked for a window seat. They usually reserve their window seats for hotel guests but they got us pretty darned close. And we arrived early, before our reservations, and had a cocktail out by the pool where they filmed "Only You." figured if we couldn't stay there we could at least enjoy the ambiance for a minute or two.

There's also a great restaurant only a few steps from the entrance to Villa La Tartana (wish I could remember the name) but it has an incredible antipasta selection and sweet, charming flirty waiters and hosts (even though you're on your honeymoon, you'll see what I mean. Italian men just have this way of appreciating women.)

Have a fabulous fabulous time! Congratulations.

~k