Seville or Barcelona

Search

Seville or Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville or Barcelona

My wife and I are planning on spending 3 nights in Spain at the end of a ten day trip to Italy next year and we are having a hard time deciding between Barcelona and Seville. Any comments on the differences between the two cities and experiences? I like history, she likes shopping. We are both are interested in the food and culture of Spain and can get by with our Spanish language skills. Which city do you think is the better option?
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:41 AM
Singletail

As wonderful as Seville is, I think you'll find more to do for your three nights in Barcelona...larger city, more sights. Seville's cathedral alone, the third largest anywhere, is reason enough for some to go there and hotter/dryer than Barcelona, but for varied activities I think you'd enjoy Barcelona more.

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:13 PM
z_b

It's a painful dilemma to have to choose between two wonderful cities. We just got back from a trip that included both. My initial impression is to suggest Seville for history and Barcelona for shopping. That said, Seville and Barcelona would offer options for both of you.

But -- what type of history are you interested in? What type of shopping is your wife looking to do?

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:12 AM

This is a toughie, but I agree with Singletail that Barcelona has more to offer for your stay. Much as I liked Seville it didn't strike me as being a particularly great place for shopping.

It might be worth mentioning, however, that if you have a romantic idea of what a Spanish city would be like then Seville is pehaps the more classically "Spanish" of that two (whatever that means!).

Jim

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:05 PM

I agree with JJBhoy....Seville is exactly like you picture Spain ..palm trees, orange blossoms, white arches etc..absolutely beautiful. It remains one of my very favourite cities in the world. I enjoyed Barcelona too but for me there is no comparison. I must admit however, that if shopping is going to be your main activity then you will be better off in Barcelona.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM

Before you get yourself excited about one or the other, check out the travel options between Italy & Spain. With only three days, you would want a direct flight and I would imagine that is more likely with Barcelona.

I love both cities, but they are very different experiences, each offering unique glimpses into the patchwork of the Spainish culture.

I would choose Barcelona over Seville. Shopping is excellent, architecture the best anywhere IMO (from the Barri Gothica to the Modernist movement), excellent galleries and museums, good food.

It may well come down to logistics and weather!

Rest assured, there is no bad choice here

regards Ger
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM

I just returned from Barcelona and visited Seville last year. If you're looking for "Spanish-ness", then go for Seville. It's very Spanish at its heart - passionate, warm and inviting, with the late hours for dining and nightlife, and a festive, unhurried approach to life.
Barcelona is a great world city. Its located in Spain, but has the ambition of a Paris or New York. I agree that the shopping will be much better there and the architecture is quite stunning, especially along the Passeig de Gracia and the other streets of the Eixample. But is the heart of the Catalon region, and thus much less "Spanish" than Seville.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:41 PM

I vote for Sevilla. My 1st trip to Spain was to Barcelona and Madrid, and I came away wishing I'd been to Andalucia because of the classical image of what feels most Spanish. I was frustrated by my inability to communicate in Barcelona with decent high school Spanish (they speak Catalan primarily). That being said, Barcelona is worldly (with decent shopping I imagine) and has AMAZING architecture. But Sevilla may be one of my most favorite cities...history everywhere...a joy to walk around and wander...cathedral and Giralda and Alcazar and site of 1890(?) worlds fair are wonderful architecture too. There will be no shortage of shopping in Sevilla either. Tough call.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
mjs

This is a difficult question and my thoughts are similar to those above me. I would probably opt for the easiest connection with Italy. Having said that, I have to ask why add Spain to Italy? I do not know how much you have traveled in Italy, but there is so much to see in Italy that I would consider spending two weeks in Italy and return for Spain on another trip when you could spend the time to see Barcelona, Andalucia, Madrid, San Sebastian etc.