Seville or Barcelona?

Search

Seville or Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville or Barcelona?

Hi, My husband and I are planning a 9 day trip to Spain next September. We will be in Madrid for the first half and we are trying to decide where to go for the second half of the trip. I was kind of leaning toward Barcelona, as we can fly into Madrid and fly out of Barcelona. But Sevilla looks very interesting as well. Which place would be better paired with Madrid? Would Seville be a better change of pace from Madrid? We are active 50 year olds, love history, food, nature.
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM

While I prefer Seville, I would say go to Barcelona to get it out of the way. Save Andalucia for another time when you can do it justice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM

Having just returned from 100 degree weather in Seville in the third week of September, I would definitely say go North to Barcelona. Andalucia is a beautiful and vast area which in order to be seen properly, needs at least 2 weeks in my opinion. I would never again go there during the September month. I was told that in the summer it can go up to 120 as well. Save Seville, which is beautiful and we loved it, for another trip and another time of the year !!
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM

To me, it makes more sense to see Sevilla in concert with the other great towns of Andalucia, so I would also choose Barcelona. It also depends on how much time you want to spend in Madrid.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM

I agree - there's no way I would chance 100+ degree heat on a vacation...
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we too went to Seville at the end of September, just for a long weekend, and loved it. perhaps we were lucky with the weather - it wasn't too hot for us [we're brits so we don't like it too hot] and our visit co-incided with a festival which is a little like the parades that you get at Easter.

We also went to Barcelona in September and that was nice too, but I prefer Seville. if anything, Barcelona was hotter the year we went there, than Seville was.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

ok, I guess the weather makes the decision easier. I definitely do want to risk that heat!
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM

we are in Seville right now...our second visit. First time was during la Semana Santa.
it was so crowded...we did not enjoy it, so we decided to give it another try.
it is lovely a town but Barcelona is much more Intersting IMO.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM

I would go to Barcelona - 4 or 5 days is just about right. For Seville, you should plan 10 days in Andalucia so you can also visit Granada, Cordoba, the white villages, etc. Early May is a great time for Andalucia, probably not September.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 01:47 AM

For a true adventure in September 2014, I would definitely go to Sevilla. The undisputable queen of the cities in the South, and from early September to early October you can experience the 18th edition of the world's largest and most prestigious flamenco festival here.

The Bienal de Flamenco de Sevilla takes place in theaters and open air venues all around town, some 70 performances in total. A genuine display of this beautiful art so important for Andalucía. Only world class artists and mostly a local and knowledgeable crowd. A night or two in the theater during the Bienal could be an experience for life. About the 2012 edition: http://www.flamenco-world.com/notici...l23052012.html

Sevilla is full of Roman, Christian, Jewish, Moslem and Gitano history and culture. A world center for a couple of centuries after the "discovery" of America in 1492, and today a very vibrant and walkable medium sized city composed of many small and very different atmosphere neighbourhoods with excellent tapas bars, restaurants and cafés all over. Some four-five days here would be perfect to give you a taste of a city it's easy to fall in love with.
"one of the largest historical centres in Europe": http://www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm
Updated info about many aspects of a visit to Sevilla:
http://www.exploreseville.com/

2,5 hours from Madrid to Sevilla, city center to city center, with the high speed AVE train.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:04 AM

... and normally not much warmer here in September than in May. Past 17 years statistics for the two mid weeks of September in Sevilla says average highs at 86-91F and night lows at 64-68F (wetteronline.de). The temperatures never crossed my mind during my September stays in Sevilla during the Bienal in 2008 and 2010.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:15 AM

....the temp. bothers some travellers greatly. others - not at all.
today in Seville is around 23, but , according to the web page, feels like 29 C ( it is humid)!
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM

Not being warmer than May isn't saying much. I don't really enjoy it that much if the avg high is 90F and humid, at least, not when I can avoid that.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am quite sensitive to heat but found Seville in September more bearable than Barcelona.

of course it can vary from year to year but i too would favour Seville.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM

I was in Barcelona and Seville this month for the first time; just got back. Barcelona is a big dynamic city and lots of fun. Seville is much smaller, walkable, and the sun is hot in the late afternoon but the evenings are pleasant, shirt-sleeve weather. I liked Barcelona but fell in love with Seville. Very relaxing place but plenty to see (don't miss the Cathedral and the Alcazar, which rivals the Alhambra in Granada for beauty).
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM

P.S. Barcelona in the first week of October was unpleasantly humid. Needed air conditioner in my rental virtually all the time. Seville in third week of October got hot by late afternoon but was not humid. Didn't need air conditioner in the hotel with the window open at night--pleasantly cool.