Amalfi Coast for honeymoon?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:40 AM
Mark

Amalfi Coast for honeymoon?

My fiance and I are thinking about going to any one of the towns on the Amalfi coast for our honeymoon. Is the Amalfi coast appropriate for a honeymoon? We are looking to relax, but also to see the beauty of the Italian coast. It is either the caribbean, or the amalfi coast, and we don't know where to go? Any advise on which of the towns to go to, or general info about the amalfi coast would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Rasputin

Amalfi is beautufil but beware,don't drink before driving.Is one of the dangerous places/roads in Europe.Take care

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Diana

You must go to Positano it so beautiful and romantic. Have a great trip!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:49 AM
Wayne

You didn't say when you plan to go. The Amalfi Coast is a great place, but I certainly wouldn't go there in the winter. For a spring, summer, or early fall trip, my favorite town to stay in is Amalfi. But I like to go around and visit all the other places that have been named many times on this forum.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Wayne

Sorry, I meant to add that I have been to most of the Caribbean islands, and unless you like hot and muggy weather, and beautiful stretches of sandy beaches, you shouldn't go during the summer. Of course, the beaches are there in the winter, which is when you should go, along with the other zillion tourists who like to get away from the cold weather. Again, the time of year should determine where you go. But if your honeymoon is in the winter, consider going to the island of St. Barts, the ONLY place in the Caribbean where you can truly enjoy a honeymoon.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:06 PM
jay

Ravello is a great small town perched on the hillside a couple of miles from Amalfi. Beautiful views down the coast to the Gulf of Salerno, and magnificent sunsets. Hotels of all grades - we stayed at the Parsifal, not luxurious but clean and friendly. Local bus travel into Amalfi is cheap and fairly fast, making allowance for the hairpin bends etc. Travel out from Amalfi to various places of interest eg Capri, Pompeii. Don't forget to sample the Limoncello (liqueur made from lemons)in an ice cold glass or have Sunday lunch at 'Cosima Cumpo's' - get there early, it gets busy. The coast road is very twisty and possibly busy and not for a fainthearted driver, or one whose mind may be on other matters - leave it to the local bus drivers.
Have a great time wherever you choose to go!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Sherri Kardell

The Amalfi Coast is so beautiful and a perfect place for a honeymoon; but the beachs are not the best in the world not white soft sand.It does have the most beautiful scenery you will ever see; and the Italians are the most gracious warm people.
I would vote for Positano(1) and Ravello(2) there is a book called Hip Hotels; that features the most insane looking hotel in Ravello.You might want to check it out.
If you will be going to Rome you could take the train to Naples and then the hydrfoil to Capri; it's a good option if you want to avoid that scarey Amalfi drive.
La Dolce Vita; and many congrats.
Sherri

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:32 AM
francesca

We had a lovely honeymoon on the coast, based in Amalfi. It was definitely very beautiful and romantic (though I'd stay in Ravello next time, more isolated but more beautiful). I would avoid July and August which is probably the worst time to visit (too crowed). Also, you need a car to properly explore the area (and take a side trip to Pompei) as well as nerves of steel to drive along the coast. Feel free to send me mail for more details.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Julie

We were in Positano in September and it was fabulous. Not sure of where on the Amalfi coast to base, I booked a hotel there for one night with the idea of checking out other places in person. By the time we'd checked in my husband had fallen completely in love with Positano and took the room for 6 days and we hated to leave. Driving is the one problem but we solved that by taking a boat to Amalfi. We did drive to Ravello (it's in the hills and not reached by boat) but I'd guess you may be able to get taxis from coastal towns.

Since you ask your question on the European board, you're likely to get more positive responses about Amalfi than the carbibbean. Perhaps you should ask it also on that board. I know I'd surely choose Amalfi coast over Caribbean. Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:31 AM
natasha

---

http://www.travelwithattitude.com/Il%20Pellicano.htm

Check out 'Il Pellicano' hotel --- bellisimo !

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Julie

I've also stayed at Il Pelicano (and in Positano). While I'd have to say that Il Pelicano as a resort has it over the places in Positano, I have to give Positano the town/area points over Il Pelicano (Porto Ercole and surrounding). Anyway both are better than the caribbean in my experience.