Amalfi Coast

Jan 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Amafi Coast and Puglia in early spring. I have enjoyed the insights provided by everyone who has posted about these areas. We are thinking about basing ourselves in Furore as opposed to Amalfi or Positano. Not much has been written about Furore. We found a great spot on TA at a very reasonable price. It looks like from there we can explore the coast and also see Pompeii. Any thoughts on Furore? We would like to be able to take public transportation on the Amalfi Coast so my husband can enjoy the sighseeing. He normally has to drive me around while he concentrates! I have read that the buses travel frequently between the towns of Amalfi. We wil be renting a car to drive in the Puglia region, though.
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM

I bet I know the place that you found in Furore and it looks divine. Furore is well connected to the Coast by bus. Remember, though, that when you leave the Amalfi Coast to drive to Puglia, you will have to rent the car in either Sorrento or Salerno since I do not think there are auto rental agencies in the smaller towns.
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscrunchy. Thanks also for posting your Puglia itinerary. I got some good ideas. We will be renting a car in Salerno. It looks the easiest.
Jan 25th, 2011, 05:01 AM

That's great and early spring should be lovely! I hope you will post details after you return. We also hope to be in Puglia, in early May.
Jan 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM

Furore is great have been there stayed at

Refugio di Ela from 25 euros per person for 2

booked on www.asiarooms.com wonderful inn/town/value.

SITA bus for xport hopping on and off...

www.gopuglia.it car rental personally rented out of Sorrento

best for Apulia pretty beautiful water more poverty sticken

and not as green as the rest of italy... Happy Journey,
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM

If you've not already found it, there's a short entry on Furore in the the useful 'Travel Directory' for the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast, which you can download from the official tourism website, here...
http://www.costiera.it/weben/index.htm

High time that was updated, so do crosscheck the times, prices etc!

Otherwise, all I know of it are a glimpse in passing, excellent white wines - which even find their way to us here in Ischia - and some fine photos taken there that were amongst in the entries for the 2009 "Concorso Fotografico Nazionale", a particularly good year as their "Panorama" category proved very popular....

http://rete.comuni-italiani.it/foto/2009/geo/065053

(I'll leave you to guess the meaning of the titles!)

Peter
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone. To: Brit-thanks for the weblink. After reading some of ekscrunchy's comments on Amalfi, I am wondering whether it is a better option as far as getting around without a car. We were not planning to get a car until our drive to Puglia. (Maybe we should pick one up sooner?) As long as the bus stop is not too far away, we should be OK. The owner of the B & B i Furore we have selected, seems to enjoy giving his guests an occasional lift. We like to walk and get excercise, but my husband has to be careful with his knees. They will start aching after awhile. I can picture us going up and down the cliffs and at some point he will say enough! A priority for us is having a beautiful ocean view. On other vacations, another priority is being within walking distance to a few restaurants so we can imbibe without having to worry about driving. Furore might not have that option although TA reviews say the restaurant at the B & B has great food. We don't want to eat there all 4 nights, though.

My next big question is this. My birthday is on March 19th which is St. Joseph's day, Italy's patron saint. I am wondering whether this is a big deal to Italians? It will also be a full moon which is very important to me. I would love to go somewhere nice to eat and watch the moon come up. I am not sure where on the coast I can get the best view for an eastern rise, since I will be on the west coast of Italy.
Any suggestions? Grazie!
Jan 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM

It is such a hard decision about the car. If you did get one, would you get one at the airport in Naples? (That would scare me)

Or...??

I think there are some good-sounding eating places in Agerola, which in is the other direction but not far from Furore..
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Not no, but H--- no! We are flying into Rome, arriving at 6:30 AM and taking a train immediately to Salerno. There is nothing worse that getting off an overnight flight and jumping in a rental car for a 3 hour drive in a foreign country. Been there, done that! Should I say, my husband's been there done that! We can relax and leave the driving to someone else. We did the same in Australia last year. After arriving in Sydney (after traveling for 24 hours) we continued on for another 2 hours by train. We like to get where we are going and then we rest. I am normally so pumped up on arrival to a new place that I really enjoy the passing scenery by train, bus, etc.
I will check out Agerola. I am sure anywhere we go we will be happy. I don't think I can complain about being on the Amalfi Coast, in Italy, on my birthday, with a full moon! I will be in heaven! Especially since my husband and I went on a no alcohol, no carbs, no fat, no sugar diet for the new year. I can't wait to drink some wine and eat some pasta in Italy!
Jan 25th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Can you watch a full moon come up on the west coast of Italy???..Perhaps just bask in the glow of the monents..
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Amazing what you can find, isn't it?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&afl=-11&day=1

Heaven only knows what it's saying about where the moon will be, but it should be visible sooner or later.

The "Sun" page there shows sunset's at 18:20 that day - whereas the moon will rise at 18:23 and set at 05:37 next morning - and at its fullest at 19:10.

The majority of full moons I've seen here on Ischia would also have been visible from the AC. I've no March pictures for you, but.....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/sun_and_moon

The lights to the left of some of those are on the Sorrento side of the peninsula and the AC's beyond there... if that makes sense?

Peter