Search

South east Italy-highlights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South east Italy-highlights

Hey al,
Just wnated some suggetsions on places to visit on the eastern ( Southern part) of italy. We are going to be in the amalfi region in Nov and since that part is so narrow was wondering if anyone had some ideas for there. Probablya s day trips from Amalfi or evena couple if days.
Thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Amalfi is on the western coast of Italy, not the eastern. Also, even though Italy is a "skinny" country, it's still 2-3 hours' drive from say, Salerno to Bari. And that doesn't include the amount of time it will take you to get off the Amalfi Coast into Salerno or Castellamare di Stabia to pick up the Autostrada.

From the Amalfi Coast, your reasonable daytrips will include Salerno, Capri, Ischia, Sorrento, Paestum, Cilento, Pompeii, Herculaneum (Ercolano), and Naples. Maybe Avellino or Caserta. Basically, you're going to be limited to the region of Campania to make your daytrips manageable. That's not to say that you can't push yourself and go farther, but there will be a lot effort required to do so.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM

I got the impression that mythical is aware that Amalfi is on the West coast, but "since that part is so narrow" was looking to venture over to the east coast of the southern part of Italy.

Not too close, but I'll chime in once more about Polignano di Mare -- my favorite small town in Italy. Look at:
http://www.grottapalazzese.it/intro.html
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

That is correct- I am aware that amalfi is on the west- was curious about places to visit on the east.
The site that patrick suggested looks great. Thanks a lot. I was also considering some places just south of puglia including matera. Thanks for your help and any suggestions are welcome.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:53 AM
cmt

Since you seem to have some interest in the Basilicata region, see this thead: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34401476 You probably know that this would not be a daytrip from the Amalfi coast, or at least most parts of the region would not be.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have nay suggestions for places to stay in matera or altamura - there are so few hotels- I could not find much.
Thanks.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:32 AM
DRJ

Mythical: We stayed at Locanda San Martino in the sassi area of Matera last April. If you look at their website you will be seduced, as I was. Its as good as it looks.