Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

I am wanting to take a last minute trip and I'm considering the Amalfi Coast. Does anyone think that this is unrealistic? I have no clue where to fly into or where to stay. I only know that I missed the Amalfi Coast 2 yrs ago when I was on a cruise and visited Naples...that was a disappointment. Also, is there enough to do on the Amalfi Coast for a week?

Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Regarding hotel availablity, you can start by looking at www.venere.com, and other hotel booking sites.

Easiest airports for the Amalfi are Napoli and Roma. If you fly to Milano, you can get flights to Napoli, and also to Salerno at some times of year.

You can certainly relax on the Amalfi coast for a week, and do some hiking. If you are motivated, you can visit Pompeii (spectacular) and the ancient Greek site of Paestum. There are churches, fortifications and other sites of historic and artistic interest. If you have an interest in fine Italian ceramics, a visit to Vietri sul Mare might fascinate you.

Capri and the hot-springs island of Ischia are also there for day trips or to stay overnight.

If you want to do a lot of sightseeing, it's best not to stay in the town of Ravello. Perhaps the best town as a base for sightseeing on the coast is the town of Amalfi.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

thank you, that's great insight
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

One more question...once I get to Naples, do I take a ferry to the Amalfi Coast? Do you know how much that is? Also, is the currency still the euro...if so, ouch!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM

There is more than enough to occupy you for a week: Pompei, Amalfi, Positano, boat trips, Capri...I could go on and on...

We stayed a week in positano last year and rented an apartment. It was wonderful. I highly recommend www.summerinitaly.com