Amalfi & Capri or other islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to see either Amalfi coast, Isle of Capri, Sardinia, Corsica, and/or Sicily. We have 10 days so want to do 2 of these..maybe 3. Which are the most beautiful? Don't know what our itinerary should be.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Neopolitan

I've been to all of those, and frankly if you have a total of 10 days and haven't done any of them, I'd probably stick to the Amalfi coast. I happen to think it's the nicest of all (don't get me wrong, I loved the others too).
But 10 days to see Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Sorrento, Capri, Ischia, Procida, and maybe even a bit of Naples and Pompeii is more than enough.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Neopolitan, and just want to reiterate some advice he gave to me a few years back (to which I thank him profusely): spend at least ONE night on Capri -- don't do it as a day trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Are you thinking that 10 days is too much---had planned on spending a couple of days in Rome although have been there several times (never too much!). Where is a good place for home base---Positano or Sorrento? Also, is Capril worth spending a night on? I hear pros and cons about it.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Neopolitan

"Also, is Capril worth spending a night on?"

Did you read Surfergirl's post just above your last one? I'm convinced that most of the people who give Capri a bad rap do so because they were only there in the day bumping elbows with all the other day trippers. Capri is not Capri until you stroll it in the quiet at dusk or in the moonlight.

10 days too much? Not at all. While a couple days relaxing at a really nice hotel in Positano or way up in Ravello would be a wonderful relaxing getaway, I honestly think the best base for exploring, including getting out to the islands is Sorrento.

I don't know how much hopping around you want to do, but:

4 nights Sorrento (day trips to Ischia, Procida, Naples, Pompeii), 2 nights Capri, 3 nights Positano (visit Amalfi, but mainly relax), and then 1 special final night in Ravello, would be a wonderful holiday in my book.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

My husband wont want to change hotels so often---what would be your 2 main ones?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Neopolitan

If you aren't interested in doing Pompeii then I'd spend most of the time in either Positano or Amalfi and spend three or four nights in Capri. You can actually do day trips from Capri to Naples, Sorrento, Ischia and Procida. And you can visit the others from Positano or Amalfi.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If it would be two hotels (meaning two towns), I'd pick Positano and Capri, spending most of the time in Positano, as a good base to explore the Amalfi coast.

We spent three nights in Positano and two nights in Capri, as well as two nights in Sorrento, and if we had it to do over again, I think we would have added two nights to Positano and one more in Capri.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

We do want to see Pompeii...is it that inconvenient from Positano? We could get a driver from Rome and visit Pompeii on the way to Amalfi??
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

What is a good hotel on Capri??
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I agree with Neopolitan that the Amalfi with all the other small towns will be perfect. I didn't spend the night on Capri and wish I had as I hear the tourists all leave and it's very idyllic. Good luck.
WE used a great tour company called benvenutolimos.com and they were awesome.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:37 PM

If you just want to stay in 2 places I would do, 3 nights capri 6 nights positano. I loved loved capri...and the advice to stay overnight was invaluable!!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Neopolitan

You asked how difficult it is to see Pompeii from Positano. I'd think fairly difficult. In fact I'm not so sure it wouldn't be easier to do it from Capri -- hop the boat to Sorrento, go up to the train station then off to Pompeii. I don't rely on public transportation so much from Positano -- I've been shut out of too many busses that were already filled.

But another thought might be to take an "excursion" or "tour" to Pompeii from Positano. I know a number are offered. I'm not big on the tours usually, but if it's one that simply provides transportation directly there, maybe a guided partial tour, and then gives you time on your own -- it might be the best way to do it.

Of course any day trips in that area are possible with a car and driver. Those are a lot more money than I like spending to get around, but if the money isn't an issue it can sure work.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM

We visited Pompeii last year (June) from Positano and didn't find it inconvenient or difficult. We were staying near the SITA bus stop at Bar Internazionale at the top of town (if you aren't staying right there, you can take the internal Positano bus there). We took the SITA bus to Meta, got off at the Circumvesuviana station there, and took the train to Pompeii. I don't recall exactly how much time it took--maybe a bit over an hour. We were at Pompeii before it opened. On the return, we took the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento, spent some time in town, then took the bus back to Positano. We bought one-day tickets at Bar Internazionale for (I think) €3; much cheaper than a private driver.

We liked La Minerva on Capri.

Full trip report, in case it's helpful:
http://www.onelittleworld.com/campania_1.html
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM

We just returned from our weeklong vacation (trip report to follow at some point) and stayed in Sorrento. Our decision to stay there was based on our desire to spend a day at Pompeii & a day at the archeological museum in Naples. That said, we defied the many, many posts here recommending against a day-trip to Capri. Now I understand...

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go for just the day. We spent most of our time in lines for the boat, the ticket window for the funicular, the funicular itself, the ticket window for the bus, the bus itself, and fighting through hoards of tour groups for spectacular views.

With only a week, spending a night on Capri wasn't reasonable but with 10 days, perhaps I'd do so. In addition, we hired a driver to take us on an 8 hour Amalfi coast day which was well worth it. We chose to see the Amalfi coast this way because we didn't want to fight bus schedules or lines. Happy travels! Hope this helps...