Am I nuts? Ireland, 2 weeks, 10 people

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
DHC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I nuts? Ireland, 2 weeks, 10 people

I am biting the bullet and, against my better judgment, have begun planning a 14 day trip to Ireland. The group consists of 3 (maybe 4) well-traveled couples, my 65 year young mother, 40 something traveling companion, 26 year old co-worker and myself. We will be traveling I have been to Europe many times, mostly Italy & France; I have done the tour thing but generally as a part of a longer independently planned vacation. Fortunately my traveling companion is a travel agent and will be able to handle airfare, rental cars and some lodging. My job is the organizer, planner and executer. I believe that this group will be able to travel well together though I know that friction will occur. I am prepared, I think? Anyway, as to itinerary, nothing is set in stone but this is what I am heavily leaning towards:

Day 0 – Depart from the West coast
Day 1 - Land in Shannon, rent car and 9-person van, sleep in Galway
Day 2 – Connemara, sleep in Galway
Day 3 – Aran Islands, sleep in Galway (will need another activity option)
Day 4 – Early depart, visit Burren and Cliffs of Moher, sleep in Dingle
Day 5 – Dingle peninsula tour, sleep in Dingle
Day 6 – Ring of Kerry – sleep in Dingle
Day 7 – Depart early, visit Blarney Castle, sleep in Kinsale
Day 8 – Cork, Cobh, sleep in Kinsale
Day 9 – leisurely day in Kinsale, sleep in Kinsale
Day 10 – Depart early, visit Rock of Cashel, lunch in Kilkenny, sleep in Dublin
Day 11 – Visit Newgrange and Trim, drop cars at airport*, sleep Dublin
Day 12 – Dublin
Day 13 – Dublin
Day 14 – Depart for home

*will compare costs of returning cars on Day 11 and getting a shuttle on Day 14 vs. keeping cars for the entire time for transport to Airport.

Now I need your help. What is wrong with the itinerary? Am I missing something that shouldn’t be missed? What do I have listed that isn’t worth it?

For hotel’s I am trying to keep it around 100 euros a room or 50 euros/person. I am interested in Bewley’s Ballsbridge for Dublin, Brennan’s Yard Hotel in Galway and Heaton’s Guesthouse or Milltown House in Dingle. Nothing has struck me for Kinsale yet. I need places with at least 5 double rooms. Do places give deals for booking 5 rooms? Please help, the hotel part is the hardest to please people with and I don’t want to let my companions down.

I am open to any help the wonderful Fodor’s community is ready to give.

Diane

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I know nothing about Ireland, but, yes, you are nuts.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I think your itinerary looks fine and is at a good pace. O'Donovan's B&B in Kinsale was excellent and around 60 euro for a double.

From experience, I suggest that everyone in your party agree in advance not to get offended if some people want to go off on their own for a day or two. No matter how well everyone normally gets along, travel like this tends to amplify tensions that are otherwise well below the surface. Taking a break from each other will be to everyone's mutual benefit.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:12 AM
CU

Hi DHC,
In relation to your plans, I see that you are coming from the west coast so that is a long flight. Will you be suffering jet lag to do the journey to Galway (appox. 2 hours)
Would you not take a short journey to either Ennis or Bunratty (20 minutes) and rest up for a night.(www.shannonheritage.com/FOLK_PARK.htm)w
The journey from Galway to Dingle taking in the cliffs and the Burren is appox 4 hours driving alone without any stops. Here I would suggest that you 'look'at the Burren as you go towards the Cliffs. Stop at the cliffs for refreashments etc. and continue on down the coastline to the car ferry at Killimer (www.shannonferries.com)
The journey from Kinsale to Dublin via Cashel and Kilkenny would snap the energy of an ass. 172 miles which in Ireland could take appox 7 - 8 hours.
Suggestion; drive to Cashel on to Kilkenny and stop. Next day on to Newgrange and Trim and on in to the Airport to return the car.
There is no need of and not advisable to have a car in Dublin. There is a lot of public transport via Luas, Dart Bus, Taxi and horse and trap and if that does not work the ould bike.
These will help:
www.goireland.ie
www.ireland.travel.ie
www.visitdublin.com
www.bedandbreakfastireland.net
All my friends on Fodor will join in to offer you good advice for your trip. Do not be shy about asking.
Enjoy agus failte
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I won't really comment on you itinerary because it looks pretty good.

But some suggestions about the group travel thing. I took 12 friends (13 including me) on a two week trip to the UK. There were 3 couples and the rest were various friends/co-workers and the 75 yo mother of one of them.

We did a week in London (rented 4 flats) so no driving involved. But then we went out to the countryside and stayed in four cottages converted from a watermill. At first I booked a people mover (mini van) and 2 cars. After we were in London and I saw some of the interactions/group dynamics it was very clear we would need more transport so I booked a 3rd car. And we needed all 4 of those vehicles for sure.

It is very uncomfortable for anyone crammed in the back of a van, plus only having 2 vehicles will mean everyone will be pretty much connected at the hip for the whole trip.

I would strongly recommend a smaller van (like a Previa type people mover) and a minimum of 2 other cars. You have done a good job basing in towns for three days at a time. Having the extra flexibility of more cars will let folks do their own thing from time to time. Plus no two people will be on the same sleeping/eating/shopping/sightseeing schedule so having extra wheels will make everyone's (especially yours) life easier. You can trust me on that one
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM

You are not nuts for wanting to visit Ireland, it is wonderful. But you are nuts to try and plan it so minutely for so many people. I don't see the advantage.

I would just plan for my small group and let the others come and go as they please and book their own rooms, etc.
I would tell them where we are going to be and let them do the rest.

I don't do martyr very well though.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Before you are in too deep, you'd better read this.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34698212
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:48 AM
DHC
Original Poster

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Edward2005 - O'Donovan's looks like a good option.
CU - I value your opinion and have been using many of your posts as guide lines. I feel pretty safe with the 2 hour drive to Galway upon arrival. I have made much longer drives after longer flights. I will look at an over night in Kilkenny on the way to Dublin. Great idea.
janisj - I was debating the large van vs. small van and more cars option. Thank you for your input.

The only adventures that are mandatory will be the transition days between towns. The rest is what I intend to see and since they are the highlights I figure most will be interested. However, people will always have the option of hanging out in town and if enough people have something else they are interested in, I will encourage them to do it. All people on this outing have been a part of group tours before, so I am more comfortable with attempting this.

Diane

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM

The only problem I see, is you are a group of 10 and have rented a 9 passenger vehicle. Unless you plan to have one ride on the roof, you'll need another vehicle.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
DHC
Original Poster

ncgrrl - That is a great idea. The person or persons making waves within the group will be strapped to the top during the days adventure. All the better if it rains. Actually, I am planning to rent a car and van. Though, I am leaning towards two cars and a smaller van.

Diane
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:21 PM
pat

Will they even thank you for all your effort? I quit doing it because no one even bothered, like it was my job to do all the work.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Having organized small tours, I'll offer a couple of suggestions.

I really don't think you need three van/cars as this might only add to possible problems. I would suggest a couple of 6-8 passenger vans depending on luggage allowance. If everyone is use to group travel/tours I wouldn't anticipate a lot of difficulities. Do allow for some free time and don't make the days too long. Be aware of individul as well as the groups interests and plan the itinerary accordingly. I doubt if you'll find discounts in booking just 5 rooms, but it never hurts to ask.

Good Luck
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I have planned several trips for my family of 5, and it's sure a lot different than planning for just hubby and I. The more people you have, the more individual interests you will be dealing with. Therefore the best solution is to slow the trip down, spend more nights in fewer places. (One person wants to shop more; another person wants a long leisurely lunch; another person want to drive out and see the ruins; another person needs a long nap; another person wants to see the cliffs of Moher again...Ahhhhhh! Much better if you have more time in fewer places, then everyone gets what they want.

I am planning our first trip to Ireland and planned our family trips to Costa Rica and Italy. The whole family, including active young adult son and daughters, seems to like 3-night stays, because with varying interests in the family, nobody ends up grumbling that they didn't get to see what they wanted.

Also if you had 2 vehicles instead of 1, you wouldn't all have to do the same thing at the same time. I would rent one vehicle and have somebody else be responsible for renting the other one.

Good luck!

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Just know that it takes a ton longer to get anywhere than you think. The roads are very narrow and speeds are slow. And look on your map for the car ferries. Tons of time savers.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:00 AM

DHC-OK, I did this....June/July 2001....
only it was Ireland, London and Paris....
We flew LAX-Shannon and stayed the first night near Bunratty Castle at Bunratty Lodge B&B (we were 3 married couples and 4 ladies-2 to a room) so I had to find B&b's that had 5 rooms.

We drove to the Cliffs Of Moher after leaving our luggage at the B&B....then the drive to the Cliffs..fine, but we were tired on the way back-jet lag kicked in!! We had about an hour to get ready for the Bunratty Castle Banquet (which is a fun "first-night in Ireland with a group" thing to do).

Oh yeah, we rented a van (6 of us riding in it and a car with the other 4).

Next day off to Dingle via the Tarbert Ferry and we spent 2 nights in Dingle...(Lighthouse B&B). We all did different things in Dingle but one day we took the 2 cars and did the Slea Head Drive together.

Other places we stayed were in Killarney, Cashel, Waterford and Dublin.

I will say that my group was fantastic! No whining or complaining!! They were all so appreciative of all the work that went into the planning, etc.
(I spent 9 months planning it, I had about 4 meetings before hand-one in which I showed them how to pack better).
In Waterford they presented me with a Waterford Celtic Cross statuette!! It is gorgeous!!! (that brought me to tears!!)

Yes, we moved each night but we had 2 nights in Dingle...4 of the group spent one night in Dublin and flew ahead to London (to visit relatives, friends) and 4 stayed 3 nights in Dublin and my husband and myself stayed one night then left for Co. Roscommon to visit my mom who lives there and then come back to spend one last night in Dublin then the group of 6 of us met up with our other friends in London.

I won't go into the rest since you are only in Ireland.....but, I will say that because in Ireland you must ride in a car to get around we spent a lot of time together in the car....we really did well-there were no squabbles, etc. (we all attend church together-must have helped!!)

Your itinerary looks good...you have more time in Ireland so you can afford to stay in each place longer which is good!

I have been back to Ireland since...in 2003 and 2 trips this year...this past trip (Oct. 2005) we spent about 5 days total in Dublin and we dropped off the car and took a taxi to our guesthouse....that worked out well for us.

Just explain to your group what to expect in Ireland (things will be different!!). Tell them to try to "go with the flow" while there and that travel is an adventure and you never know what will happen and that is why you travel!! Hopefully, it will all go well and you will have a great time in Ireland!!

Even though my mom lives there I am still addicted....never tire of going there!! (both parents were born there).

Merry Christmas to you....
Shadow

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:13 AM

When is this Odyssey?? The reason I ask is: something may be happening in a place nearby your route that you don't want to miss ... and things like Ennis' Spring Trad Music Festival (late May) or Galway's Oyster festival might make lodging 'tight.'

If you're not 'nutz' now, you're going to be so when those 2-weeks are over.

Your itinerary may need a bit of work and a lot will depend on the day-to-day weather conditions. You will be backtracking somewhat: were it me, I would head for Dingle from Shannon, then come back north from Cork to Galway, maybe taking the Tarbert-Killimer ferry, then up to Spanish Point (where Wilie Clancy's Caeli happens in mid-late July), Lahinch (Ireland's Surfing center), the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren and Doolin (maybe even the Aran Islands - from Doolin) on the way to Galway.

There are several hotels in the area of Lisdoonvarna and Ennistymon (Falls Hotel, for example); but you will find them fully booked during the Matchmaking Festival (late September).

Your 'another activity option' for Day-3 could be the 'Quiet Man' village of Cong in southern County Mayo or even Croagh Patrick (also in Mayo). If you don't mind a longer drive Knock Shrine is on the Mayo-Roscommon border (two hours or so from Galway).

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:19 AM

DHC, I think your itineary is pretty good, the only thing I would change is on the 6th day you have " sleep in Dingle" I would change that to sleep in Killarney, as you mention you plan do drive the Ring of Kerry, you dont really need 3 nights in Dingle, so why not get to see Killarney as its part of the Ring of Kerry, and just as convenient as sleeping in Dingle.You may not need 3 nights in Dublin, why not stay one night in Kilkenny, its a lovely city.Whilst you are in Cork if you have time drive to Glengarriff as the scenery is stunningly beautiful,Schull is also beautiful,there is more to Cork than Kinsale, so get those miles in and see it all whilst you are there! As for the hotels you mentioned, I live in Dublin and I would agree that Bewleys in Ballsbridge is a nice hotel, and the location is convenient.You should make sure to ask about Group rates when booking hotels,dont assume the price that is listed online is the price you have to pay! always phone and ask reservations staff what kind of deal they will do for you, if they think you are prepared to pay what they ask they will just charge you that amount, make sure to get the best deal possible and dont be shy to ask, I always ask for a reduction and 99% of the time get it. You might find it hard to get rooms for €100,not impossible but you will have to do your research.Dublin is a very busy city all year round, but in the Summer months its really busy, so book well in advance. I would advise booking rooms early as possible as Cork and Kerry are extremely busy from April to September and very popular with American visitors. I'm not sure if you have planned you evening meals yet, but a bit of advice, Pub grub ( or pub dinners) are really very good in most pubs now, and usually half the price of restaurant food, so make sure to avail of the pub meals. Oh and one more point, I'm not sure when you plan to travel, but if its in the winter months, you may need to check out the sailings for the Aran Islands, as the boats may have to change sailing times if the weather is bad. Leave plenty of time for driving around Kerry, as the roads are not great, and people dont tend to move a great speed! The Kerry people are lovely and friendly and love to have a chat as you pass through, so your timetable will go to pot! I hope you have a wonderful time in Ireland, if there is anything I can help you with, just holler!!Sláinte
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
DHC
Original Poster

Shadow - Thank you for relating your positive experience with group travel. I, of course, read Barb's report and it definitely made me rethink doing this trip. However, I believe my crew will be flexible and appreciative.
NEDSIRELAND - Thanks for the thoughts on Cong. We are looking at sometime between May & July. I would rather not go in July but the couple that has not commited has a time restraint.
lucielou - I am trying to minimize the hotel changes but I will look into staying a night in Killarney. I am glad to hear good things about Bewley's, it is the only place Samantha Brown has ever stayed in that I could afford
Thanks to all of you.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I agree with lucielou that back tracking to Dingle after doing the Ring of Kerry makes no sense. Also consider staying in Kenmare instead of Killarney. It is a wonderful small town and very charming.