Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Itinerary - Your feedback please.

Old Oct 10th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister, husband and I are planning 2+ weeks in Ireland in late August, early September, 2014. We have an early draft itinerary and are looking for feedback.

Day 1 - Arrive Dublin, rent car, drive through Wicklow/Glendalough to Kilkenny (overnight Kilkinney
Day 2 - Explore Kilkenney area, maybe bicycle (overnight Kilkinney)
Day 3 - Rock of Cashel, (overnight Cobh or Cork - maybe Waterford)
Day 4 - ?? (Cobh, Cork)
Day 5-7 Kenmare as base (3 nights) Hike the Gap of Dunloe, Muckross House, Beara Peninsula
Day 8-10 Dingle as base (3 nights) peninsula, cycling, hiking
Day 11-13 Galway as base (3 nights) Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, maybe a day trip to Aran Islands, day to Conamara
Day 14-16 Dublin

At all locations, we'll of course want to take in the villages, pubs, music and just walk around. I'm open to any comments, suggestions, pros and cons to our initial plan.

Thank you.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Transatlantic redeye then drive through the Wicklow mountains to Kilkenny??? drive safe, straight to Kilkenny and take a drive into Wicklow day 2. Not a fan of Dingle but most people, even those who have never been to Ireland rave about the place, to be fair the peninsula is worth exploring but it's not a touring base. I would take a night from there and use it for somewhere on/around the Ennis/Quilty line see some of south Clare and then the Cliffs Burren on the way up to Galway.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Agree with tony about Dingle. If you go to the Aran Islands, go from Galway to Rosseveal. The trip is much shorter than from Doolin and is not so weather dependent as well as having several choices of times to travel.

Maybe put the extra night to an overnight on Inis Mor. There is parking at Rosseveal. Just take a small bag with what you need for an overnight. No rental cars on the island, but bike rentals at the pier in Kilronan or take one of the bus or pony and trap tours to Dun Aengus, the seven churches, some of the beaches, and other interesting sights.

Rosseveal is on the Connemara "loop". Perhaps take an early boat to Inis Mor, spend the day exploring, return the next morning to Rosseveal and finish the loop around Connemara.

The cliffs of Moher and the Burren that Tony recommended are truly wonderful.

Ennis is a great place to spend the night. Small enough to be walkable, but large enough to have lots going on in the evening. Just up the road a piece is Quin Abbey, a scenic pile of stones to walk around. You can see what was once a lovely church and its appendages. Personally, I really like the area around Ennis.Clare Abbey was not on my radar until my most recent trip back, and I was the only one there for most of my visit--a peaceful place. Also Kilmacduagh ruins and round tower are on the way to Galway. the tallest round tower in Ireland is there. The tower is slightly off vertical by about the same amount as Pisa's tower. Again I was nearly alone. Two other cars came while I was there. (Maybe it was the weather--threatening showers, which never developed till evening. Maybe it was the time of year--late September.)

Day 3 Waterford is too much backtracking from Cashel IMHO. I would choose Cobh over Cork for the overnight. Car in Cork could be a nightmare. I did not like driving in that city ten years ago and can't imagine that the traffic situation has improved.

Of course, you will be ditching your car at the airport before your stay in Dublin. Parking is hard to find and EXPENSIVE! Driving is a nightmare these days. Forty years ago I drove in Dublin, even twenty years ago, but not now!

Overall I think your itinerary looks good. Tony's tweakings will make it even better.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Tony and Irishface. I appreciate your suggestions. Waterford was on my sister's list but it is a bit out of the way. Think she will give this up for somewhere else. We were leaning towards Cobh over Cork so you confirmed that. Yes, we will turn our car back in at the airport and take public trans into Dublin. Every transatlantic trip we think we are going to sleep and be fresh but of course it never happens. Our flight gets in at 8am and based on the mapquest estimates (which aren't always the best) we thought we might be able to do Glendalough/Wickow that day. We live in the Sierra Nevadas (Lake Tahoe area) so are comfortable with mountain driving (although not on the same side of the car or the road). May have to re-think that first day. I know Dingle has those who love and those who think it is overrated. Guess we'll have to see which side we fall after our trip. An ovenight on Inis Mor sounds like a possibility. I'v read some of the one week itineraries and we are so thankful we have this much time to explore. I don't know how I'd be able to narrow this down.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM

Per Tony's suggestion, I would definitely "rethink" your plan to go straight from the airport to Glendalough. My husband, who drove for years on the left when we lived in Thailand and Australia, drove this route on our 5th or 6th day in Ireland, so he was both experienced in driving on the left and not hampered by any jetlag. Even so, he found it a stressful drive--curvy, narrow roads. Do yourself (and the other people on the road) a favor and save Glendalough for your return to Dublin.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM

I also urge you to only do a short easy drive after landing
(..even when we just went across the sea to nz from sydney...we chose to do about an hour drive from the airport and settle in for the night)

this time...OH is flying in to meet us from syd..meet london ..overnight..then catch an early afternoon flight to dublin and just drive a short way to malahide for the night..we will catch the DART ( train) into dublin centre to explore that late afternoon evening and start our roadtrip the next morning..

have a look at the routes youll be driving on YOUTUBE..so you know what youre up against...this has certainly helped with our planning when weve looked at roads like the antrim coast road up in Northern Ireland for instance.

friends have warned us not to drive in dublin...one couple did and were in tatters...LOL
have been told that sometimes in ireland numbers dont match up the way you want them to...like some streets dont have the odd and even numbers on the opposite sides of the road (and other curiosities that arent essential for a smooth arrival into town lol for foreigners at least!)

we were advised to stay on the northside ..on the same side as the airport so thats why we are staying in malahide for our first night but on our last night ( after our northern loop drive) we have booked Staunton on the Green...south end of the park...lots of fodorites helped us so we are very grateful ..will come in..return the rental at the airport and go into town by public transport
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

We're convinced. Dublin to Kilkenny the first day and Glendalough another time - either next day or out of Dublin at the end of the trip. Thanks for the tip on the you tube videos, lanejohann, - they do give you the real feel of it.