Search

Alone in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alone in Paris

I am a 47 yr old woman and will be visiting a cousin who is staying in Paris. I will be there six nights. She is working, so I will be on my own most days. Any problems you can see I may have? Will I still enjoy having wine at a cafe watching passersby or will a woman having wine alone be odd?
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I have made about 4 trips to Paris solo.

I have NEVER had a problem. I have always had a great time. If someone thinks it's odd that I am sitting at a cafe having a drink that's THEIR problem not mine. The wait staff in Paris is professional and they won't have ANY problems taking your cash.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
SAB

I've been to Paris twice by myself and have never experienced any problems in a cafe, bistro or restaurant. Next week I will be going with my sister and expect to spend a couple of days exploring on my own and I'm looking forward to sitting in a cafe and having an afternoon glass of wine.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM

I also have had a great time traveling solo in Paris. It's an extremely easy place to visit solo. And don't just go to cafes, go for walks and visit museums.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM

I am not sure if I can do this alone, not being able to speak French. Is language a problem? Also, do you feel lonely when you travel alone?
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I used to live in Paris. You can certainly get by in Paris without speaking French, but you will probably enjoy the experience more if you can learn to say a few introductory phrases that play an important role in interactions in France. The absolute basics are:

Bonjour, Madame/Monsieur (Always greet people first when entering a shop or restaurant or before asking anyone for anything. Also, it's important to use the title - Madame, Monsieur, Madamoiselle - as a sign of respect.)

S'il vous plait

Merci (thank you), Madame/Monsieur. Bon journee/bon soiree (have a good day/night)

If you're not comfortable speaking these phrases in French, please use the English phrases.

I don't whether the experience would interest you at all, but if you're going to be in Paris for a Monday-Friday, have you considered taking a week of French lessons? It's a great way to add a little structure to your day, provide you with opportunities to meet people - and teach you a few phrases that you can then practise around and about in Paris. There are a couple of schools (likely including Alliance Francaise) that offer courses of just a couple of hours in the morming for as little as a week.

Finally, I would mention that Paris is full of independent women of various ages, most of whom seem to be very comfortable going out on their own to museums, shops, cafes and restaurants. You'll be in good company.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I think Paris is a great place for solo travelers. You could venture out to a park, go sightseeing, wander through a museum, enjoy a crepe to go, and never feel lonely. There are people everywhere. As for not being able to speak French...you could try to learn a few basic greeting phrases. Most French people would appreciate it when you attempt to greet them in their native language. They know you're a foreigner, so don't worry about fluency. Just remember not to expect the French to speak English to you. They don't have to.

Taking a week-long course in French is a great idea.
I have a friend who didn't speak any French but she took a cooking course in Paris and had a blast. She met lots of new friends and felt very comfortable being a solo woman traveler.

Bon voyage!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM

cjstobbs, you will have a wonderful time! I took a solo trip to Avignon in 2001, speaking no French, and I was amazed at how well I did. With the exception of one conductor on the TVG, everyone was so nice and so helpful!

A few more tips:
Get a nice map of Paris you can write on, then write on it in French (you will have to get the verbage as I no longer remember) "I am lost. Can you please show me where I am on this map?" And don't be shy about approaching people for help.

Definitely do not be afraid to sit alone at a street cafe but don't be intimidated by the waiters. They are not here to be your friends, and won't bring you the check unless you ask for it. "L'adicion, s'il vous plait." (sp)

You do not need to order bottled water, a carafe of city water is fine and acceptable if you order something else.

Offer to take other people's pictures (couples or groups) and don't be shy about asking people to take yours. Nobody ever minds and you will want memories.

Talk with your hands. Although my SO speaks French, I speak food, and what I can't understand, I make up with hand gestures. Works more often then it doesn't.

Smile! That goes a long way!

Bon journée.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I spent over two weeks in Provence
and over two weeks in Paris alone.
I'm older than you. They were two of my favorite trips.
I am used to dining alone. My husband was a journalist who often worked holidays so I would dine alone at a local nice restaurants. I sat at MANY cafes alone with a bottle of wine.
The only heads turned were Americans
Remember the basics, such as to always say bonjour and goodbye in French.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM

cjstobbs, I have been along in Paris more than 50 times and it's one of my favorite things in the world, seriously. I can do what I want, go where I want, stop when I want to have a café or a wine, sleep when I want, wake up when I want, just please myself (not an easy thing for a businesswoman and mother who generally has to go with the flow of business or family dictates).

Enjoy it to the hilt! Sleep late, indulge in pastries, take naps if you want, and do not worry about dining alone - Parisian waiters will take you under their wing and take care of you as if you were their mother or grandmother.

Have a ball!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM

I've been to Paris solo three times and will return again this September. Except for the one time I was sick, I have enjoyed every trip. As the others have said Paris is a great city for solo travelers. With the exception of one restaurant, I've not had problems dining solo. If you are interested in doing activities with others I can recommend the Fat Tire Bike Tours and Paris Walks. Great ways to learn about the city and have fun.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM

>>as if you were their mother or grandmother.<<

Ok, that made me shudder. I am 47, and they never treat me like a mother and especially not a grandmother! (Not that there is anything wrong with that!) I prefer to think I'm being treated like a dynamic woman with possibilities!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
LOL, Cat, I've never been treated as a mother or grandmother
but always treated with respect or flirtation.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am leaving for my first Parisian solo holiday next month. I have visited the Languedoc and a bit of Provence solo as well. Everyone's different of course, but for my upcoming trip I decided to reserve/book a few things ahead of time so if I get lonely I will <i>have</i> to go out and do things, challenge myself, etc., whether I want to or not. I spaced these out every few days so I can be a slug if the mood strikes and enjoy a little serendipity.

You might consider doing one of the Paris Walks or the bicycling thing (do a search here for both of those) because they are group activities but limited to a few hours or less.

I wouldn't worry about going to relax in a cafe by myself--at all.

Bon courage!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Mimi, I think somewhere down the line, we are long lost relatives!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Or, should I say, merci!