Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Advice for Female Traveling Solo to Paris

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am new to this forum. Apparently, there are some well-seasoned travelers here! I am a 50-year-old female and I want to go to Paris this fall, for the first time. I will be traveling solo, also for the first time. Some of my friends think it is a great idea. One of my friends is concerned about my traveling alone to Paris, particularly because I do not speak French. I do have mixed feelings about the trip. I am excited to see the sights, but am somewhat concerned about safety. I have also read blogs citing experiences with unpleasant attitudes regarding a middle-aged female dining alone. I love good food and wine and would want to dine in fine restaurants. Have any women here traveled alone to Paris? I appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM

I'm in my late 50's and went to Paris alone last summer (I've also been to Italy 7 times alone, as well as Ireland). You'll probably want to stay in a tourist area to be close to the things you want to see. I like the St. Germain/Latin Quarter Area, or the Marais is good, too. I was never worried about safety. There are always a lot of people out late.

Don't worry about not speaking French. It is polite to greet people in French, and you should always greet people when you enter a shop or restaurant, and bid them farewell when you leave. It's nice to learn how to say "Parlez-vous Anglais?" so you can ask them in French if they speak English. Small courtesies make a big difference in how you are received.

I have never experienced unpleasant attitudes anywhere due to dining alone. Go and enjoy!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM
cw

There are quite a few women, who travel solo, who have posted about their trips to Paris.

For starters look at Nikki's and gracejoan's reports:

http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/nikki/

http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/gracejoan3/

Just scroll down to find their trip reports of Paris. I think Paris is a very safe city for a woman traveling alone. Use the usual precautions you would use anywhere--watch your bag, don't walk down a deserted street at night etc.

I've always seen solo diners when I'm there and I think the sheer variety of restaurants makes for easy dining alone--cafes, bistros, and small neighborhood places. You'll have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:06 PM
2g

I've travelled solo to Paris, I am not in the same age group as you, but I found a solo trip to Paris easy as can be. Go for it, get a good map, stroll around, get lost, explore. Paris is a great walkable city. Read the destination guides on this website and plan what sights you want to see.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM

Hi KathySF,

Yes, I go to Paris regularly, by myself. My next trip is for the month of November.Following will be a month mid April to mid May and mid Oct to mid Dec in 2011.

I stay in the same group of apartments in a most desireable area of Paris, every time. I dine in all kinds of restaurants..simple to starred.

I have made friends in Paris and I also meet up with some who will be in Paris when I am there.

Violon d'Ingres has become the Thanksgiving spot for us. 2 Parisian friends, 4 American friends..three I have never met before. All will joinme at my apartment where we will meet one another, share a glass of Champagne and the walk over to Violon for a great evening.

I do running trip reports while there. Many seem to enjoy them, along with the pictures..here is part I from last fall for you to look at, if you would like...
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...v-3-dec-14.cfm

Enjoy your planning.

Joan
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM

I also did Paris in my 50's by myself and back up what the other girls have said. Enjoy. jk
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM

I'm in your age range and have been doing Paris alone, almost annually, since either 1975 or 1976. I don't have a problem with doing it alone and prefer it. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM

There are lots of women who travel alone to Paris (and other places) and I'm one of them. I've been to Paris a few of times on my own and have had no problems. Women dining alone are given good service and are not looked down upon. I've walked around late at night in areas where there are people (around the river) without being concerned.

You might want to learn a few phrases of politeness but that's about all you'll need. Parisians dealing with tourists speak English. This site has a foreign language section where you can hear the basic phrases so you can learn to pronounce them.

Take the trip and you'll be glad you did.

BTW - I see your last trip was Egypt; that's my next trip.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM

I haven't traveled to Paris alone, but I have made many other trips on my own alone. Paris is a very easy city to navigate -- if you choose a hotel in the heart of the city, most of what you will want to see is walkable for anyone in good health. The metro is very easy to navigate as well. And you wlll encounter few, if any, situations where not speaking French is a real problem. I think it's a wonderful city for the single traveler because there is so very much to fill your days. There are some real advantages to solo travel, in that you can see what you want, when you want, and take as much or as little time as you want doing it.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 06:41 PM

I have spent several days in Paris alone at least 4 times - I often add several days on to the end of business trips to interesting places.

First of all speaking only English is not an issue - although I would be sure to learn the basic politenesses - and make sure you have a reliable menu reader. (Most of the places with menus in English are not where you want to eat.)

As long as you stay in a decent hotel (the concierge will be your friend) there is no reason you should have any problems at all. Learn how to use the Metro, familiarize yourself with the various type of eating places (cafe, brasserie, restaurant) and the rules of each. (Different opening hours, different type of menu, and often very different prices.) For a restaurant you want a reservation, should be well dressed and follow standard practices (eating hours, ordering etc) and you should have no problems. I've never had any - from a croque madame in a corner cafe to a nice dinner in a 1* restaurant.

The other thing is that just because you arrive alone doesn;t mean that you will remain alone. I often meet people in my hotel - at breakfast or in the lobby and ending up having a conversation or a meal or even sight see for a day. Typically I don't do this with lone men, since they have a habit of misunderstanding the situation no matter what you may say - but have no qualms about spending a few hours with another woman or women or a couple.

But seeing Paris on your own can be a joy - no compromises on what to see/when or if you want a light lunch or a main meal at 1 pm and a light dinner.

Caveat: I do always stay in a hotel with a concierge and room service.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:01 PM

Yeah, it's just absolutely terrible for solo women in Paris. My 22 year old daughter spent last month there. Her Paris blog is at http://inaplace.wordpress.com/.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I am a middle aged woman and I have never experienced any problems dining alone in Paris or elsewhere. While I do speak passable French, it is my experience that more and more people in Paris speak English, and they are eager to practice their English with visitors.

I have made two solo trips to Paris and one trip where I was alone for a few days. These have been wonderful, and I hope to do it again. I have participated in some get-togethers in Paris with people I met on these message boards, which have all been great fun.

Here are links to the accounts I wrote of my two solo trips (with thanks to cw for mentioning them above):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-to-paris.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:45 PM

Ditto what everyone else has said. In my mid-to-late 50's, I spent 10 days solo on my first trip to Paris. I've been back every year since. Although I do speak French, everyone I had contact with insisted on speaking English. Dining alone can be very relaxing and everyone is very solicitous of you. I never felt unsafe, day or night, but when I'm alone, I tend to head home after dinner and go to bed early so I can rise early and hit the museums at opening time before the crowds show up. Enjoy!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a bit younger than you--but not young--and went to Paris solo last summer. Went to Rwanda by myself this summer. So I think solo travel can be pretty addictive.

My Paris report is a bit longwinded but does emphasize dining and offer some tips here and there. I don't speak French.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-decadence.cfm

Keep asking questions and have a great trip!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:44 PM

Fall is a very busy time for conventions, meetings, fashion shows, etc., so highly recommend you secure accommodations forthwith - something you can cancel if you're not 100% confident with the hotel and location.

I've been to Paris alone in my 50's and it is fabulous! I prefer the neighborhood of the 7th.

And, I much prefer the buses to the metro. Not only do you avoid the hallways and stairways of the metro and taxing connections, you're not diving underground when you travel and missing the scenery all about.

Dining alone is no problem whatsoever. The only "rule" you really need to know is not to seat yourself at an outdoor table with place settings unless you plan to order food. If you plan to order only a beverage, always choose a table that's bare. (And, even that, is not always a rule.)

Except for the large hotels and some chains, most hotels will not have a Concierge, but the front desk will usually take care of the same things for you.

You also do not need a reservation or to be well dressed unless it's a very formal restaurant. If you see an appealing place (always check the posted menu and prices first), ask for a table. Every once in a while, you may be advised that they are booked for the evening (even though you can see empty tables) because tables are booked for only one party each for the evening, and you can just choose another place (and reserve that one for another time).

I spent two weeks in Paris alone and made only one dining reservation (because I knew the place to be very popular). I just wandered into any appealing place when I got hungry.

On a first trip, you're typically in the touristed neighborhoods and you don't really have to worry how you're dressed or having a reservation.

A good food glossary is definitely helpful. It's a good idea to review it ahead of your trip to familiarize yourself with foods you like, and foods you don't, in French. Another worthwhile endeavor is to visit a market street or roving market. Everything is labelled, so you can see vegetables, fruits, cuts of meats, types of seafoods and shellfish, you'll see on menus.

Here's a fairly comprehensive French Food Glossary you can download and print (print as a booket for easier carrying around) to carry with you

http://www.intimatefrance.com/glossarypag.pdf

As for safety, just know how to protect your valuables from pickpockets. Basically, leave your wallet at home and carry only what you need for the day (a bit of cash, one or two cards) is a secure place (under the clothing security pouch, inside zipper pocket of a small cross body shoulder bag...). Leave any extra cash/other cards in the safe in your hotel room.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:08 PM

Good for You! I agree with everyone in this forum. Paris is one of the best cities for a woman traveler to enjoy on her own. It has been my experience that if you appear friendly and engage in small talk whatever the situation, most people respond in kind.
My favorite hotel is located in St.Germain des Pres. For me this area is safe, charming and neighborly, boasting all the convenient amenities and services that make you feel at home.
Have a wonderful experience.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:03 PM

Two thumbs way up for solo travel in general. I've been on all of the continents and have traveled alone since I was a teen. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:19 PM

Agree with dkj on some issues such as staying in the 7th. It's a great neighborhood mixed with hotels and residential apartments. But dressing in style is a must in Paris, especially when you go out to dinner. No better place for people watching and you will want to look your best. It's better to try and blend in than to stand out as a tourist (i.e. shorts and tennis shoes). Stay mindful of your handbag - the motorbike riders grabbing purses from women's shoulders is a common occurrence. And there are gypsies who will try to give you the "gold ring" that you must have dropped and then will ask for a reward. Just walk away. While Paris is a safe place, I just tell my friends to be aware of your surroundings - don't get sidetracked talking on your cell or diverting your complete attention. Keep one hand on your purse at all times if you can. Learn the basic phrases as suggested above - and by all means have a great trip. How can you not love Paris!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM

I am 47 and traveled to Paris alone 3 years ago. Everyone was very nice to me. I stayed at Hotel Muguet in the 7th and felt very comfortable there. I liked being in the 7th since it was central to many things I wanted to see.

I also chose Le Violon d'Ingres for a fancy meal. It was wonderful on many levels, not least of which is that I was treated very nicely as a single traveler and everyone spoke English to me (I don't speak any French).

When entering a shop, it seems to be expected that you will say a greeting. If you do not, I think you may possibly be met with disdain or ignored. If you do, people are very polite, although I found people to be fairly reserved, not 'smiley' as Americans can be.

I've been back to Paris with my husband and also with my teenaged children. We've stayed in other areas, including the Marais, but as a single traveler it was easier to stay in the 7th.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM

I agree with what everyone is saying about solo travel to Paris. I'm older than you, but have been traveling to Paris (and London) solo for the past 15 years. Before that, I had been to Europe as a teenager with my parents, and later with other people. I absolutely LOVE going solo!
Before my first trip, I perused many guidebooks, and thoroughly researched hotels, using the Metro, etc. Planning is half the fun, anyway, and the internet makes it so much easier.
I do speak some French (not fluently), but that doesn't matter at all in Paris. After my first solo trip to Paris, I wanted to see much more of France, and have since taken trips to Provence, Burgundy, Alsace, Normandy, Brittany, Dordogne, Loire - where I rented cars and had a wonderful time seeing the "provinces". I was over 60 when I started doing that. My children think I'm nuts to want to go alone!

In Paris, I like staying in St. Germain or Montparnasse - but I'm sure the 7th or Marais would be great too. Anyway, do this, and you won't regret it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -