Albergo del Senato: Double or Suite

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a special visit to Rome for my partner. We have decided to stay at del Senato. We have requested a double room with a terrace overlooking the piazza. The hotel has advised us that they cannot guarantee such a room (but will consider our request). They suggested we book a suite (300 euro as opposed to 200 euro). Could anyone who has stayed here please advise whether they think the suite is worth the extra money (it is a bit above our price range). Thank you.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:14 PM

They told us the same thing and we ended up with a great room overlooking the Pantheon. As I see it, you can book a suite and have the guarantee or book a room and hope you can upgrade to a suite if the room has no view.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM

We required a Pantheon view at the time of our reservation, but no gaurantee which room. We got the top floor with the step-out balcony that you can see in the pictures of the facade. Its the center room with french doors and the two potted standard trees. Tiny room, but very nice with a knockout view. Keep in mind, the view rooms don't all have balconies, and there were only a few with actual terraces. Ours was just one to step out and take in the view~no table or chairs; it was about 2 feet deep or less. If you want an actual terrace, I would be sure and book a suite or room with one.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:54 AM
marieb

My husband and I stayed in the suite with the patio/balcony last Dec. The patio was perfect. Terrific to look out at the piazza. You feel like you can reach out and touch the side of the portico of the Pantheon. There is a small table and 2 chairs, just right for breakfast or enjoying some wine while watching the activities below. Another neat feature is the room location. Top floor and at the end of the hall next to the stairs that lead up to the roof top bar. Great views up there! The rooms are a little small. As you enter the suite the bathroom (small but modern & clean) is on the right, ahead is the sitting area w/sofa bed, TV and window, to the left is the bedroom w/Q bed, smallish mirrored closest, desk, TV, french doors that led out to the balcony. The hotel is in the perfect location in Rome. One last note: if you go to bed before 11:00 or are a light sleeper, the noise in the piazza might be bothersome. Shut the patio doors tightly, use earplugs and you hardly hear a thing! Hope this helps you make your decision.

Old May 13th, 2003, 09:13 AM

marieb: I noticed on the web site they listed a quadruple, jr. suite, sr. suite and apartment. Which room type were you staying in? We were there last November, but it was just hubby & I and this December we will return with our two children. I wondered about your noise comment if your rooms had different/older doors than our because if we closed our french doors we could hardly hear any noise; no ear plugs needed. I will be sure to bring ear plugs just in case we get a room that is noisier. Lastly, was the rooftop bar actually open for service, or did you just go for the view? I was under the impression it was closed for the winter months and didn't even bother to check it out! We were more than satisfied with our "Pantheon in-your-face view," but I would've ventured up on the roof if I had known it was open!
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:48 AM

SloPugs: I'm not marieb, but my husband and I stayed with our two children in the Senior Suite at the Del Senato three weeks ago. This room is at the opposite end of the hall from marieb's. I think hers was a junior suite. The Senior Suite has two actual bedrooms, bath, hallway, and huge L-shaped terrace with north and west views. Perfect room to have when you have kids along, and even when we don't bring them, we are getting that room again, just for the terrace.
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Grinisa: Thank you so much for your helpful post! It sounds like a good choice for our family. Now I'm wondering what the apartment is like........
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:05 AM

SloPugs: The apartment where? The Del Senato doesn't have an apartment but the Santa Chiara does. For a more detailed review of the Del Senato, you can check out my trip report "Rome with Kids" that was posted last week. Probably would be easier to find if you did a search under my screen name.
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Grinisa: the one they have listed on the rate list on their web site: http://www.albergodelsenato.it/prices.htm
If you look, it lists a "Mini-apartment" in addition to the Sr. & Jr. suites. Maybe its this room on this web page: http://www.albergodelsenato.it/rooms.htm ??? Does the room in that picture look anything like your suite? When I stayed at the Albergo del Senato last November, I noticed a sort of grand looking room in the center on the second floor. Maybe that's it???
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM

No, that lovely room wasn't the Senior Suite so maybe it was the Junior Suite because it is labled "the Suite". When I made our reservation, the clerk at the Del Senato informed me that the only rooms that would accomodate four people were the Senior Suite and the quadruple, but the quad didn't have a terrace. I don't know why the mini apartment wouldn't accomodate four persons unless it is a small double with a kitchen? It costs less than the Senior Suite. If anyone has stayed in the Del Senato's "mini apartment" I'd like to hear about it's configuration. Oh, and the rooftop terrace opened March 23rd. It does close for the winter.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM
marieb

SloPugs: Our room was the Jr suite. The mini-apt was not available. Sounds nice for a family. It would have been doable in the jr suite but a little small in the sitting area. With the sofa bed open, you would barely be able to walk around it and there would be no place to put your luggage or unpack it in that room. The roof top bar was closed; however we were able to go up and look at the view. I think we would have enjoyed a meal or drinks up there. The room wasn't really that noisy. My husband wasn't bothered. I'm just a light sleeper. It didn't detract from the overall appeal of the hotel. We would stay there again. The bathroom was one of the smallest in all the hotels we've stayed in in Italy. (Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany.) For the price it was fine. Most of the other hotels we stayed in were more expensive. oh well.

Old May 14th, 2003, 05:25 AM

I just got email back from del Senato: the suite pictured in their web site and the mini-apartments do not have a Pantheon view (must account for the lower price). They offered me the senior suite or two rooms, a double and a twin. The sr. suite it is! Still wondering what the configuration for the mini-apartment is......
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:27 AM

I loved the description of the Senior Suite. Grinisa, do you think it would accomodate 5? We have older teens so 2 rooms may be better (w/2 baths) but the balcony sounds fabulous.
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Lina: If the hotel will allow five people in the Senior Suite (many hotels have strict rules as to the number of people they will put in any room) I think you could do it. The second bedroom, with the sofa bed, is kind of small, but should accomodate your teens. I think you can squeeze a rollaway in the main bedroom. The terrace is great but I too would be concerned about the bathroom. With five people, two bathrooms may be better. How about the Junior Suite (it has a terrace)and another room? SloPugs, you'll love the Senior Suite!
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Have any of you seen what the single rooms are like? I have to go to Rome in Sept by myself, and would like to stay here. Thanks.