Albergo Del Senato

Search

Albergo Del Senato

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albergo Del Senato

Has anyone ever stayed at the Albergo Del Senato in Rome. And was wondering if the location is good for all sites. Thank you.
Wendy lyn
[email protected]
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Yes, many have stayed at and liked the del Senato. It's in a fantastic location. Please do a 'search' by typing the hotel's name in the box above for to see the numerous comments. Also check for comments at Trip Advisor if you have not done so already.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM

We stayed there last September. Position wise you could do no better. If you stay make sure you get a room facing the Pantheon, what a sight. We took a suite which quite frankly was not really worth the extra money. We had barely warm water the whole time we were there, they didn't seem very interested in doing anything about it. However they did compsensate us financially at the end of the stay.

They are polite and helpful at the desk, the rooftop bar has a great view. Location wise you could not go wrong.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM

We stayed there and will likely book there next time we're in Rome. We never had issues with the hot water as Schnauzer unfortunately did. Our room was moderate sized but comfy and very clean. We found the staff to be very accomodating and breakfasts decent.

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM

We stayed in this hotel in September 2004. A room with a Pantheon-view is awesome, the location is GREAT and drinks on the outdoor rooftop lounge on a summer night is a cherry on the sundae.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I did get an email from them this morning and the price is $440.00 per night. I thought that was a bit high? Any other suggestions. ?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Not as nice and without the Pantheon view are the Albergo Santa Chiara, the Hotel dei Portoghesi, the Hotel Due Torri and the Albergo Cesari in more or less the same area. (I haven't stayed at any of them, but they are frequently mentioned here.)
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi there! I was just there in Aug/05 for my honeymoon. Excellent location! Beautifully appointed rooms. Very clean. Clean washrooms. $440 is a lot though - I don't think it is worth that much. Frankly, it's nice being next to the Pantheon, but the point of being in Rome is to spend more time outside your room than inside. Best of luck!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34710661

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM

$440 ouch.

I'd look into lower priced alternatives in the same area, as Eloise suggested.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM

We've also stayed at Albergo Del Senato and we're returning this year. Yes, it's expensive. That said, we find the location & service to be outstanding.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM

$440! I don't think so!!!

Rome is small, and it's all charming. You don't have to spend that kind of money just to be on top of the Pantheon.

If you like a luxury hotel look at the Ponte Sisto, and do a search for it on here.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:44 AM

We didn't pay that much in June!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Whoa, OWJ! Mr. OWJ is a prince to spring for the Senato! Mine would be breaking out in a cold sweat---but then, he's the one who puts tape on the mini-bar fridge door and once suggested I save the lint from the dryer trap to stuff pillows.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM

kswl--we did not pay anything approaching $440/nt...He is a prince but OWJ2 wouldn't go for that any more than KSWL2 would! And minibar--what's that? I think my guy told me those are just empty cabinets

Hope all is well with all of you and the new house!
me
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM

We stayed there 2 years ago. Loved the location. Breakfast was great. The people were friendly enough. The quad room we had the first night was very spacious, with a lovely bathroom. The family suite on the 6th floor that we moved to for the next few nights was nice in that there were 2 separate bedrooms and a balcony overlooking the Pantheon and square. We were surprised one afternoon to hear music and realize that a full orchestra was performing in the square! But, the room decor was fairly worn, the 2nd bedroom with sleeper sofa was very worn and minimalist and the bathroom was not as nice as the first bathroom we had.

Overall, it was a splurge. The location couldn't be beat. But, it was a lot of $$$. I don't think I'd do it again. (Ok, maybe I would...)
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:09 AM

OWJ---OMG! House is coming along. We decided to put lights on the tennis court because DH gets home late at night (what's the use of having the court if he can't play on it, etc.), then put 2x the normal number of lights to provide &quot;an almost daytime playing experience&quot; for DH (what's the use of having it if you can't play on it <i>as if it were </i> during the day, etc.), and now I worry that when they are lit small planes will attempt to land in our backyard. (County airport within a few miles.) Pond stocked with crafty fish who pretend to be dead (I swear) when child attempts to catch them. Part of property is protected low-lying wetlands that DH wants to convert to a native plant garden. I want to ignore it and have suggested cash crop of rice, to be planted and harvested by DH. (Hoping that will nix all planting ideas.) All fireplaces in house gas, controlled by remote devices pre-programmed to spring into flame at certain temperatures. Programming not intuitive, me not mechanical, result: all three fireplaces spontaneously flaming and scaring the &amp;*%$# out of us and guests, particularly my mother. (At parties it is sort of an unexpected parlor trick.) Two septic tanks with one unmentionable problem, one flooded bathroom and office, decorator who tells me definitively that &quot;all ceiling fans with light kits are tacky. Period!&quot; Naturally, all rooms have fans, with light kits. Sigh.

However, would love to host a GTG in spontaneously combusting, tacky-lighted home!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM

KSWL--We would love to have a GTG and see all the cool stuff at the new house and we'll be sure to bring our sunglasses lest we go blind on the tennis court.

If you organize a GTG, they will come (Field of Dreams paraphrase)...and I'll help any way I can!

Email me offline if you want to chat and brainstorm.
OWJ