Aix-en-Provence - Aquabella Hotel

Dec 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Aix-en-Provence - Aquabella Hotel

I've just booked three nights in Aix at the Aquabella Hotel for April 2006.
I found generally positive reviews on Tripadvisor (rated #4 overall).
Does anyone have experience with this hotel?

Now I have to decide where, in the Luberon, to spend the next four nights! Suggestions?

Thanks
Julie
Dec 31st, 2005, 12:02 AM

We have sent friends (and even my parents one time) to the Aquabella when we lived in Aix. The location is fantastic. The rooms and interior of the hotel are very modern (think Hilton style), impeccably clean - found the people at the front desk to be very helpful. Rooms were a good size and comfortable - if not exactly charming. Anyway, as they say - if it is good enough for mom...

-Kevin
Jan 1st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Kevin, thanks for your response.

Would the Aquabella be a good base for touring - ie. is it easy to get a car in and out of town from there?

I can either extend my booking at the Aquabella or find another location to tour the southern Vaucluse and eastward toward Grasse.

All suggestions welcome!
J

Jan 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM

If you're going as far as Grasse, I don't think you would want to stay in Aix the entire time--it's a long day-trip to eastern Provence and back.
For the Luberon, what about Kevin's B&B?
Jan 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, thank you for the recommendation. Kevin, I'll check out your website!
J
Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM

Julie -

The Aquabella's location for getting in and out of Aix is pretty good (though in aix, this is all relative as it is can be a nasty town to drive around). The fact that the hotel is just on the edge of the old city helps - but you'd want to have a good city map and explicit directions from the concierge to avoid too many hassles. But to give you an idea, from the Aquabella, it takes five minutes and one right turn to be on the road out to the Luberon, he said, making it sound unbelievably easy !

Aix would be fine as a base for exploring the Luberon. It's a half hour drive to the Southern Luberon (Lourmarin) and another 1/2 hour to get from there to the north side. So definately doable as a pleasant day trip.

As for Grasse, as Underhill says, it's possible, but maybe pushing it a bit as a day trip - you might be better off spending at least a night there.

Then if you don't mind very windy mountain roads and appreciate knock-me-down gorgeous scenery, think about driving north from Grasse along the Route de Napoleon, then through the Gorge du Verdon and on to the Luberon via the back-door. Now THAT is a day trip for you.

-Kevin
Apr 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Has anyone used the spa attached to the Aquabella - Sextius? We're interested in staying there too and would be using the spa.

Thanks.