Airport to Amsterdam

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport to Amsterdam

Looking for insight on travelling from Schipol airport to Amsterdam. Am aware that there is a train between the two points, but have read a number of things which indicate that this may not be the safest method of travel. Would a taxi be a better choice?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:21 AM

? don't think th train is unsafe, but there can be pickpockets. I acutally took a taxi last time for convience but it was not cheap. (around 30 us dollars) and that was PRE-EURO. I paid in Guilders( the coolest looking money ever)
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Where did you hear that the train is unsafe? It's absolutely fine. There are building works at Central Station, so it's a bit of a mess there.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Trains in and around Amsterdam are not "the safest method of travel"!?!? I am curious as to what you consider unsafe. Pickpocets? Terrorist threats? Old and unsafe trains and tracks? You could have an accident in a taxi, you know.

I have travelled the rail system all over the Netherlands, at various times of the day, and have never had a problem. Granted, there are pickpockets and beggers in Centraal Station, particularly around the currency exchange area, so avoid that area (and the Damrak, and Dam Square, and the Kalverstraat, and the Red Light District, and the Leisdeplein, perhaps most of Amsterdam).

I can't think of a more easily and economically sound way of getting from Schiphol to Amsterdam than taking the train. You don't even have to leave the airport. Follow the "train" signs in the airport to the ticket counter, buy your ticket and strippenkaart (if needed), turn around, take the escalator down to the platform and get on the next train that leaves for Amsterdam Centraal Station. They run every 10-15 minutes and the ride lasts about 15 minutes.

We have always felt safe touring through Amsterdam and the Netherlands, even into the wee hours of the morning. Of course, common sense rules. Peace.

Robyn
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I read something on another site that spoke about having to leave your luggage on a separate part of the train from where you are seated.
Dangers in taxis? I can get hit by a bus leaving this office at lunch today!
Pickpockets - being a horizontally challenged middle aged mother - pockets are not in my wardrobe!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:17 AM

peggyb -

When we toured through BeNeLux last April 2003, we were able to store our luggage in the overhead rack right above us. In fact, I was under the impression that they WANT you to keep your luggage close to you, so that they know who has ownership to each piece. Chances are the train won't be too crowded, and depending on how much luggage you have, you could probably just keep it on the floor next to you. I'm sure you will have no problem. Enjoy your travels. Peace.

Robyn
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:55 AM

On my first trip to Amsterdam, I caught the Connexion shuttle van at Schipol for 11 euro and was dropped off directly in front of my hotel. Second time, I took the train for 3 euro from Schipol to Centraal and then walked 8 long, long, cobblestoned blocks to my hotel.
Centraal can be a bit disorienting at first - it's messy, as Tulips points out, from ongoing construction. If you arrive at a commute time, it can be especially bustling. Myself, I'm glad I took the shuttle the first time - it was just easier.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:02 AM

There's a couple of things to do to make your Schiphol-->Centraal trip safer.

I think the 2 main crimes on the train are pickpocketing and luggage theft.
An anti pickpocket defense is to never have anything in an outside pocket. To protect your luggage make sure you don't put it in the aisle but rather in the seat or on the floor where you're seated. Look for a seat- standing up further increases your risk. An especially risky place to stand/put your lugggage is in the little vestibule where the train doors are. At one of the 2 stops before Centraal thieves like to wait for the last second before the door closes to grab someones luggage and bolt out the door as the it closes and the train leaves the station.

Use common sense and you'll be fine.