Amsterdam Overnight Layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our way home from a land tour and cruise we're scheduled to be overnight in Amsterdam. We'll arrive at the airport around 4:45 PM and our plane leaves for the US the next day around 2 PM. I'd prefer to go into Amsterdam itself rather than stay at an airport hotel, even though we won't have time to do much but have dinner and walk around a bit.

Has anyone here done this in this time frame and does it make sense?

I don't know whether we'll have to first claim our checked luggage due to the long layover time and then store it or whether the airlines (KLM/NW) will check in through and hold it overnight.

We could stay at an airport hotel and go into the city for dinner. But we might have spent too much time to get to a hotel, check in, get back to the aiport for the train to think that worthwhile.

So I think it's down to either staying in the city or staying at an airport hotel and eating there.

Is the city option (my preference) a good choice or not enough time to make it worth the to-ing and fro-ing? I've been to Amsterdam before, although several years ago and it cetainly is prettier than the aiport area!

D

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Amsterdam's airport is perhaps the easiest airport in Europe to get in and out of using public transportation. And it drops you in the heart of the city.

Enjoy your night and morning in Amsterdam!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Definately stay in Amsterdam. It only takes 15-20 minutes by train from the airport and you're right in middle of the city. If your plane arrives at 4:45, you will probably be in Amsterdam by 6:00.

You would still have plenty of time that you could visit the Anne Frank House (open to 9:00-10:00), have dinner, then take a canal cruise and see the lights of Amsterdam. If you're feeling adventurous, you could stroll through the Red Light District (or visit the Sex Museum!).

The next morning, before you leave for the airport around noon, you could do a quick visit of one of the many museums that Amsterdam has to offer (my favorite is the Amstelkring - Our Lord in the Attic - a 3-story church hidden in the attic of a canal house.)

To catch the train at the airport, when you depart the passport control area, just follow the signs for the train (NS). The signs lead to the front of the airport where there is a large NS Rail ticket counter area. There you can buy your train tickets to Amsterdam Centraal.

Then turn around and take the escalator downstairs to the train platform heading into Amsterdam. Within a few minutes you will be on your way.

If you are planning on using the tram system in Amsterdam to get to your hotel and around town, you can also purchase a Strippenkaart at the NS Rail counter.

Have fun exploring my favorite city.

Robyn >-
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I have done what you mention. I had my checked bag held for the flight the next day. They trasferred it to the flight the next day. This was a KLM flight. They also have lockers at the airport. I took a train into the city. It took around 35 minutes to get to Central Station. I had a hotel near the train station. I walked to my hotel. Check what time the train leaves for the airport the next day. You should have enough time to do most of what you mention.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! It looks like it's agreed that we will have the time to go into Amsterdam. Much nicer than staying at the airport!