Strange?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM
africnow

Strange?

This may seem a strange question for the Africa & ME board, but I expect that many of you have had the same experience and so can help - - hope so anyway

On my way home from East Africa this summer I have a 12 hour lay-over in Amsterdam from 7 am to 7 pm. My flight onwards leaves after 9 pm

I have never been to Amsterdam. I am looking for suggestions about what to do there for the day, please?

Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By train, Amsterdam is around 30 minutes or so from Schipol. Once you arrive at Amsterdam Centraal Station, you can wander around Amsterdam for the day -- its a very walkable city -- and visit what you find interesting. My choices would be one museum (either Van Gogh or Rijksmuseum), maybe Anne Frank house, boat ride on canals, walk thru Red Light District, and generally wander the canals. Then head back to Centraal Station in time to get to airport by 7:00 or so.

I have had that same layover, and I prefer it to continuing directly to the US. Amsterdam is a great city, and I take every opportunity I can to visit, even with a layover.

Michael
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I believe you can also take organized tours to/from the airport much like the ones departing/returning from Dam Square. I recall seeing listing of such on web site for the Schipol Airport. You could do as Michael suggests and still have time for a half day or so tour. Ours took in a Delft China place, Madurodam (sp) miniature city, etc. And the train ride to/from the airport besides being rather short 20-30 minutes, is user friendly (even for tourists) and relatively inexpensive. Dick
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
africnow

Thanks for the suggestions.

One more question please.
Can anyone recommend a hotel for a day room? I'm arriving so early that I should have (hopefully ;-0 ) time for a shower and a short lay down before my day in Amsterdam.

The Schipol Airport Hotel (Metro...?) is asking EUR 80. I would prefer to spend a bit less.
Thanks.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
esm

africnow, I'm new to this section but have seen your question asked frequently on the Europe board. You'll get more replies if you post there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Do indeed post this on the Europe board.

You might contact the Schiphol Ibis - we've stayed there a few times and found it quite acceptable. They have a shuttle bus to the airport.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:21 AM
africnow

Thanks Gardyloo,

Just for general info to anyone interested.

After quite a bit of searching and phone calls to Amsterdam I have found a hotel!!

The IBIS airport hotel:
EUR 59 for a day room.
No discounts. (They do have discounts for seniors and weekdays if you spend the night.)
No reservation required, there are always day rooms available.
Free shuttle bus from/to the airport

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM

africnow,
I don't know when you're traveling, but the last day of the Rembrandt-Caravaggio exhibit is June 18. 2006 is Rembrandt's 400th "birthday" and despite major renovations at Rijksmuseum there are a number of interesting choices. Google Rembrandt 400 Amsterdam and you should get some good hits.

We also have a long layover in A'dam on our way to E. Africa. Now that I've looked into it a bit I wish I had extended it somehow a few days. Plenty that I'd like to see and do: Anne Frank House, Rembrandt's house, Van Gogh Museum, Resistance Museum, and on and on.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM
africnow

Yes, I found out about the Rembrandt-Caravaggio exhibit after my dates were already set

I can't get there before August, but I certainly do mean to spend the day seeing some of the sights. Just want a place to shower and rest for a couple of hours first, since my flight lands too early for Amsterdam hours anyway.

Thanks!