Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfares to Paris in December - what do you predict?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
sally

I am searching for airfares from Boston to Paris for the second week in December. I had thought that I would find a real bargain ($400 or so) by traveling in December and traveling on a Thursday. I am finding fares from $550-650 which seems a bit high. However, these fares are nonstop (Delta and Air France) and at good times for me. My question is - am I looking to early to catch the winter sales and if so, when do they usually start? Or have fares just gone up over the past 6 mos on international flights due to the reduced volume of travelers? It seems that once you add on all the taxes and fees you are paying an extra $100/ticket. thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:41 AM
elvira

My travel agent told me they expect airfares to drop for November flights; don't book now, wait until the prices start to move down - probably eom August.<BR><BR>Check out "packages" - airfare/hotel included. They sometimes are cheaper than the airfare alone!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:51 AM
Beth

From 7/21 Washington Post (might be worth leaving from BWI (Baltimore):<BR>Icelandair (800-223-5500) is offering a companion sale on fall travel from BWI to cities throughout Europe, including Paris, Amsterdam and Stockholm. For departures between Oct. 1 and 31, the first traveler pays $500 and the second $195 plus taxes. For departures Nov. 1-Dec. 15, the first traveler pays $350 and the second $195 plus taxes. Taxes vary, but are typically about $80 per person. You must register in the airline's frequent-flier club to get the sale fare, and purchase no later than Aug. 15.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:53 AM
Beth

Just realized your message seems to be just for you - you might have to borrow one of those "strangers to travel with" mentioned in another recent post in order to get the good deal!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:03 PM
SALLY

Beth - thanks for the tip. It is actually for me and my mom so I won't have to travel with a stranger!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:44 PM
Gretchen

I think it is probable they will come down some. But why not try bidding on Priceline? On another board there are reports of fares to Paris for $300.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:24 PM
MJ

I've had great luck with a company called France Vacations. They're at francevacations.net. Great air/hotel packages in Paris from budget to luxury - you select the hotel which will determine your pkg price. They partner with several airlines depending on your US city.<BR>Good luck.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Nancy

You might try searching non-direct flights at less convenient times to see the difference in fares at the moment. If you want a "real bargain", you are going to have to give up a few things, including direct flights and convenient times. Having flown Boston to Paris many times, a direct flight is worth every penny. If you have to connect in JFK, for example, this means collecting your luggage and getting it and yourself to another far away terminal (via shuttle bus that never seems to come and then is very crowded) and going through check-in and security all over again. "Good times" are worth the extra as well. More often than not, the "real bargain" fares are for early morning flights, meaning you'll have to be packed the night before (instead of enjoying a last nice dinner and stroll about the city) and get up very early to make your flight. Watching for bargain fares is best for those who are willing to travel at the last minute (and can hopefully secure decent hotel reservations) and don't care about times and connections in consideration of the low prices. There is no guarantee whatsoever that any last minute bargain fares will have seats available for your dates. The bargain fares are for LEFTOVER seats. You may see a fare allegedly available for a six week period, but with actually very few seats available over that period of time. If you have specific dates you want to travel, you really should book at least six-eight or more weeks in advance. Otherwise, if there are no last minute bargains for your dates, you'll find that the fares you're looking at now will have gone WAY UP.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Maira

Sally-- it is traditional for the travel industry (airlines, cruises, etc) to drop prices the first two weeks in December. The rationale behind it is that people are shopping and getting ready for the holiday season and they don't travel as much, thus the significant drop (check the cruise prices and you'll notice!). That said however, after 9/11, airlines have cut flights and I wonder how many $400 seats are actually available per flight. The advise you have gotten so far is tops, strongly advised you check all of the options offered. Best of luck!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:00 AM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>Try Iceland Air. They fly out of Boston and I assume they would offer the dame deal as the one described from Baltimore.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:17 AM
sally

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did look into Iceland Air and they actually had a fare (based on the companion promotion) that ended up being about $700 total for two people. We opted against it because the dates didn't work. However, I am pleased to report that I just bought a RT ticket for $393 non-stop Boston-Paris on Delta. Delta is having a big sale today and tomorrow (you can get directly to the sale by going onto Orbitz and clicking on "Delta International Sale"). All the fares looked great. Hope someone else can benefit as well!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:04 PM
jetset

Hi Sally:<BR>I am considering going to Paris for the holidays, Dec.22-29 leaving Washington DC. Have you found a hotel to stay? Please post it and also your itinerary if possible. Thank you.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Anne

Big airfare sale today and tomorrow, Delta and ?? (United maybe). Details at smarterliving.com. Great fares for fall and winter travel.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:11 PM
paul

Thanks for the heads up re: Delta. Fare is over $200 less each for RT RDU-CDG. Called American last night to ask if they would match fare. Told NO!!!! Then booked on Delta. Guess what this morning American has matched it. Do not know how long the sale will last. AA seems to try to go out of their way to discourage customer (brand) loyalty.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Dave

But Anne - I thought you already had a trip planned!!! I'll be very very jealous if you get to go on vacation twice for my once!!<BR><BR>Best wishes!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:06 PM
x

travelocity announced $370 dca to venice - I'm sure there must be other cheap deals, cities advertised. haven't read the fine print yet. Good luck, hope you find what you need.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Anne

Dave...I do have my trip planned...just wish I had enough time off to take another! Just being nice and passing on info I got in my weekly email alert! (ok...I really did try to figure out if I could get another trip in, but this working for a living thing gets in the way!!)<BR><BR>9 weeks and counting!<BR><BR>Anne