Reload this Page >

sweaters or shorts in Oktober??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Jen

Hi all - we are leaving on September 29th for our 2 week honeymoon to Germany and London. Please advise what the weather is generally like. I'm a freeze baby so if the weather is in its 60's then I'll definitly bring plenty of sweaters. Also, is it a bad idea to be spontaneous about our trip, or should I be looking into heavy planning. We are "go with the flow" type of people and would hate to have to find a place we really like and have to leave because we have reservations elsewhere. Thanks for your thoughts.<BR>Jen

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Karl

Considering that the honeymoon takes place in 14 weeks,you might want to get your plans into place! You must live in a warm weather climate to wonder if the weather in September almost October is warm enough for shorts! Yes-bring sweaters! Leave the shorts at home.Make reservations for the important things,hotels,cars if you plan on renting a car,some good restaurants,and then you can relax and "go with the flow",trying not to be dissapointed if you are unable to do something because you did not plan ahead.<BR>Considering this being a honeymoon and first trip-it might be a better idea to plan more,be spontaneous the next time.It might give you a trip with better memories.<BR>Congrats and Happy Honeymoon.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:36 AM
xxx

Where in Germany are you going? Probably everywhere in the country at that time it will be in the 60's and maybe rainy. If you're heading to Munich, Oktoberfest is Sept 21 - October 6 and all hotels in the area will be booked.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Lily

Sweaters for sure and an umbrella each. You really need to try to book now if it's not too late for that time of year. Try B & B's in small villages in Barvaria for a truly good time you won't regret reserving. Typically if you find a town near the Romantic Road they will have a website which will list local accomodations. I have yet to be disappointed in the little private guest houses in Germany. Also, if you do tend to mind the cold - take something warm and comfortable to lounge in, the places I've stayed have been a bit frugal with heat. London has been damp (sometimes downright wet) everytime I've been there ..... Have a great honeymoon and congratulations!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Lily

Jen - You will be able to "go with the flow" as far as everything else like trying new places to eat but I wouldn't try it in October with a bed......

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Jen

No need for rude comments. If you don't like the question, don't reply. Anyway, I did make sure to reserve a car and two hotels, one in munich around oktoberfest and the meistertrunk in Rothenburg. If there are any B&B's that you highly recommend between Munich and Rothenberg, please share, I'm always looking for good recommendations. The other thing I failed to mention is that we are staying 5 days with family in Kitzigen so it will be easy to "go with the flow" around that time. Thanks to all those who have shared positive responses. It's nice to hear from those who have actually spent some time in Germany. Good tips are always welcomed.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Shanna

Hi, Jen. Went to SW Germany last October. Lovely weather, not real warm but not at all cold - wore a sweater with slacks over a shirt and often had to remove the sweater. Stayed in a small hotel with a feather bed and down comforter - very toasty with "bunny suit" pajamas (maybe not what you want to wear on your honeymoon). That time of year you should be able to find rooms where ever you want to go. London will probably be wet - which makes cold a lot colder - and Germany will depend on where in Germany you are going. Congratulations on the occasion of your marriage and have ever so much fun - remember that everything working out just fine makes for absolutely NO great stories when you get home!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:55 PM
givemeabreak

Jeeez,who was rude???? How about don't ask a question then bite the heads of the people considerate enough to answer you?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:50 PM
xxx

Dear givemeabreak,<BR><BR>There were some rude posts on this thread before Jen posted her reply, but they've been deleted.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:54 PM
givemeabreak

Dear xxx,<BR>Thank you,that makes more sense.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Jen

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. I'm usually not one to jump down ones throat and am glad to see that the "rude comment" was deleted. Maybe in a sense I was a little naive to think it might be warm in Oktober, but again - I've never been there and didn't know what to expect. I have been given some great tips about what to do and where to go on our honeymoon and have really enjoyed this website. I find that I've gotten a lot farther in a few days as far as planning than I did in three months. It's great to have input from those who have experience traveling in other countries. It gives a sense of comfort in planning.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:20 PM
xxx

h