Air France flight LAX-Strasbourg TGV option question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2014, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into a future flight Los Angeles - Paris CDG - Strasbourg, and the options from CDG are a second plane or the TGV. I like the idea of the train a lot more, as it would put us in the city center (and I think it would be more comfortable than a second flight, especially if the plane is small). The flight is scheduled to land at 11:35 at Terminal 2E, and the train departs at 12:52 from the CDG terminal downstairs, which would give about 1 hour 17 minutes to make the connection.

The ticket all the way through to Strasbourg is actually issued by Air France. I see on other posts that people say allow an hour, some say more. Does it make a difference if the airline is issuing both tickets - i.e., do they give you more help making the connection? We have had them help us when making plane connections.

Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 10:37 PM

Taking the TGV from CDG to Strasbourg is probably faster than flying on AF.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 10:51 PM

Is it really a second "plane" that does CDG-SXB? If you look at the Air France LAX-SXB flights, the leg starting from CDG is described as Termainal TN=train, and the arrival is shown as XWG = Strasbourg TGV train station!

Are you really comparing TGV vs. airplane? It looks like all your options are TGV. One is buying it as an AF "flight" and other as TGV ticket from SNCF/Capitaintrain, etc.

If you further look at the departure board for Paris airports,
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr, the only Paris-Strasbourg AF flights leave from Orly not from CDG.

Even though the second leg is a train, the terminal 2E is an enormous complex to move around. Look at the map http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/f...Des-Terminaux/, click "Voir le plan général de l'aéroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle". Halls L and M of terminal 2E are practically the different terminal altogether. Unlike planes, you can hop onto a TGV up to the moment they close the door. If your plane arrives on time to CDG and you have carry-ons only, you would easily be on the train by 12:30.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 02:50 AM

I can't advise on the time possibilities, but given the opportunity I'd take the train in preference to another flight.

You are right in that the train is more central, and when you arrive there's no waiting around for luggage etc - just grab your bags & go! Di
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 03:39 AM

Agree that the train will be muchmore comfortable than another flight after the long one from LA. Howeer, I'm not sure that is enough time unless you plane is absolutely on time - or early.

You will have to deplane, treka to Immmigration, go through (fast if no other planes but I've had it take 30 minutes when a bunch of international flights land t once), then pick up luggage (if it's on the carousel yet - and get to the train station.

To have a better chance of making the train:

Have carry on luggage only
Sit in the front of the plane (can save 15 minutes deplaning)
Jog/walk briskly to Immigration to avoid lines as much as possible

I would be happier with a 2 hour window - but I am risk averse.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, you're right, it only offers the train on the outbound leg (I thought I saw a plane, but perhaps it was on the return flight).

Well, I'm just looking at options for this trip, which won't be for a little while. I'd love to be in Strasbourg the first night. We are flying in to CDG in a few weeks for a different trip, beginning in Paris. I think I'll see how long it takes to go through immigration and get our luggage (not too sure if we can do carry on for two weeks, but I guess we could try!). I understand that it's always different but it would be interesting to see how this one goes.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM

If you are going to have to wait for luggage there is no way I wold buy advance non-refundable tickets for a train only 1:15 to get onto the train. It would be VERY easy to miss the train (just a 30 minute delay in the plane taking off).

Have you looked at when the next train leaves?
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM

Whatever experience you may have going through immigration on your upcoming trip is not necessarily the norm. For years, I took the same United flight from Dulles to CDG over and over and over. Some mornings I was through immigration in 10-15 minutes, and some I was through in an hour. I never had checked luggage.

FWIW, I often fly to Paris and then take a TGV. I always allow at least 3 hours between the stated landing time and boarding the train. And I've come close to missing a train.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM

If you are ticketed LAX to XWG (the Strasbourg train station), it would be up to Air France to guarantee a rail connection for you and you lose nothing by attempting what I might characterize as an otherwise impossible connection at CDG. Most US aircarriers ended their CDG to a connecting rail station agreements two years. Maybe AF still sells tickets this way.

Otherwise, I would allow no less than 3 hours between a scheduled CDG arrival and a follow-on TGV departure from CDG. Purchasing follow-on rail tickets separately means you are assuming all risk for a late arriving aircraft, problems at baggage claim, or unanticipated long lines at Immigration.

Additionally, if you don´t have your tickets in hand and need to pick them up at the CDG´s SNCF service window, there can be long lines and extended waits.

You could also just purchase TGV tickets on arrival. Walk up prices are usually the highest sold but this eliminates all risk of holding worthless tickets if you arrive late and miss the train.

There is no ideal solution; only options with varying degrees of cost and risk.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you can actually jump on a flight to Strasbourg out of CDG, that would be the best thing to do in this particular case. However, the train is also an excellent option if you don't have to wait too long for it. 1h17 is almost certainly not enough time to make the connection.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:31 AM

Air France does fly direct to Strasbourg from Paris on their budget airline, Hop, but all the flights are from Orly, not CDG. From CDG, they don't go direct, there would be another stop. And it would take you longer to get from CDG to Orly and all the stuff, not worth it, take the train.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:36 AM

Air France does fly direct to Strasbourg from Paris on their budget airline, Hop, but all the flights are from Orly, not CDG. From CDG, they don't go direct, there would be another stop. And it would take you longer to get from CDG to Orly and all the stuff, not worth it, take the train.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, this is interesting…I looked again at the TGV option. Some of the TGV trains leave directly for Strasbourg from the CDG airport, downstairs, at the train terminal between 2D/C - 2E/F.
However, some of the connections require you to go into Paris itself on the RER, arrive at Paris Nord, walk over to Paris Est, and catch the TGV.

Has anyone ever done this? I wonder if it's possible to ask for a longer connection time and a direct from CDG train. I usually do my bookings online, but maybe if you call in to Air France you can finesse it and get the longer connection.

I would NEVER do this if buying each part on my own. But if Air France is selling it this way, then it seems to me that if you miss the connection, they're responsible for getting you the rest of the way.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:57 AM

Sure, it's always true that for any TGV that runs out of CDG there are TGVs leaving from stations in Paris also, and usually more options. I've done it that way many times, too. But then you should allow 4 hours between stated landing time and boarding. I'd rather hang out at the airport, have a coffee, read a newspaper, stretch my legs. Plus I always take a taxi if I'm going into the city, and that's an added 50-60 euros, which is most of the time more than I'm paying for the train.

It would seem to me that AF would be responsible to getting you there if you purchased this "package," but I'd definitely call them to confirm. I've always had excellent customer service from them.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM

If AF is selling tickets LAX to XWG via Gare de l´Est and therefore assuming responsibility for any unknown delay, you might schedule a bit tighter than the 4 hours suggested by StCirq (though I certainly agree that otherwise, at least a 4 hour connect time would be wise).

I believe that the SNCF operates the trains from CDG to Gare du Nord so it would be logical to assume that the RER B passage into Gare du Nord would be covered in the entire fare.

It would be interesting to know what AF has to say in reference to what fares are included and what guarantees are offered when something happens, outside of your control, and you miss the originally scheduled train.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM

<i>Iwan2go on Apr 1, 14 at 1:38pm
But if Air France is selling it this way, then it seems to me that if you miss the connection, they're responsible for getting you the rest of the way.</i>

My experience is that if an airplane suffers a weather delay or other force majeure they have absolutely no responsibility to the passengers other than to get them to the contracted destination ASAP. Any collateral damage, e.g. hotel, meals, et cetera, is directly paid by the client. A nice airline will give you a shave kit and a list of hotels.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Upon further research, it looks like your choice of train can vary. I did a cut-and-paste from the Air France website (I’d italicize if I knew how….):

"Taking the train from your arrival airport

Upon arriving at the airport, proceed to the Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV station to continue your trip.
Please note: your connecting time must not exceed 24 hours.
Collecting your ticket
- You collect your train ticket at the tgvair counter of Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV station”.

At any rate, this makes it sound like you get to chose your train (“your connecting time must not exceed 24 hours”). I’ll try and check in a few weeks when we go. It would be helpful to know, for other people in the future as well.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, this is even better than I thought! According to AF, they not only put you in First Class on the TGV, no matter what cabin you’re in on the flight, but "In case of a missed connection, or a delayed plane or train, Air France and SNCF guarantee a place on board the next available flight or train at no extra charge".

So there’s a business connection between the airline and the train service.

Here is the direct link, if anyone is interested: http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common..._airfrance.htm

That sounds good enough to me to take the chance! If anyone does this, please post your experiences.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:17 PM

<i> Air France and SNCF guarantee a place on board the next available flight or train at no extra charge</i>

This is effective what all airlines do when connecting through their hubs (though not to include rail options). Note that the <i>next available flight or train</i> is not the same as the next scheduled flight or train.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will find this sort of thing all over France, Germany and Benelux, where the trains have been integrated into the airline routes for many years now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -