affordable vienna hotels

Search

affordable vienna hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
affordable vienna hotels

Hello all ~ I am looking for any advice or insight you can offer on the following accomodations: Hotel qur Wiener Staatsoper, Pension Nossek, Hotel Pension Arenberg. Above all, I am trying to find an affordable place to stay (3 nights) that has a tasteful atmosphere and a great location. Thanks!!!<BR>~ Melissa
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:17 AM

WE stayed at Pension Pertschy (sp), which is part of the same group as teh Nossek. Loved it! Wonderful, central location, largest room we had in Europe (twin beds, space to walk between them and on both sides!!, large sitting area with table and 2 chairs, large closet). Great breakfast, internet access in lobby, very helpful staff (they had our room ready at 8 am... we thought we would only be able to leave our luggage, but they said &quot;we saw on your reservation that you would be arriving early, so we assumed you would want to clean up and rest after travelling!!). Only $120 per night. It was a great place to end our whirlwind trip!<BR><BR>Anne
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:00 AM
MGB

We stayed at the Nossek. The location was great. Room and bath were a good size. We had a view of St. Stephens, it was a little noisy in the morning but you get up and go early anyway. Breakfast was okay not a buffet. I think in 1999 we paid about $100 a night. Parking was a little bit of a hassel since they are on the pedestrian area. My daughter stayed at the one mentioned above, Pension Pertschy (sp) and liked it well too, the breakfast might have been better, but that was in 1998.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:52 AM

I sent a line on hotels not long ago, went to see 2 Wiener Staatsoper, Nossek and Pertschy referred to by others. Arenberg from internet looks same style, worst of the 4 for location (on main ring road itself) but still fine. Definitely Pertschy of the first three - all a little chintzy, Vienna empire style. This may be your taste, if so go for Pertschy. Pertschy and Staatsoper actually had identical wallpaper - pink textured with stripes and little roses - not my taste I am afraid. Pertschy easily best for room size and cleanliness. Staatsoper has very small rooms and mini-bathrooms, poor value. Nossek was easily worst - shown an &quot;untypical&quot; room, complete dump although they did say it was their worst room. But reception area was messy and my wife thought the whole place stank.<BR>If you do not want chintz, but much more modern accommodation - we picked for my mum Starlight Suites (www.starlighthotels.com)in Renngasse, and got a price of euro100 per night for lounge + bedroom with good modern furniture + a/c + small fitness room (bike, sauna, treadmill).At same time all the others mentioned were more expensive (by 10 to 20 euro) Rack rate is 166, so may be more expensive at time you are going, but then others will be as well.<BR>For eating, check out Harrys Time for a great 6 course euro17 lunch at An der Hulben in the centre. Or go through the whoel menu at dinner for a 35 euro degustation menu, best value meal in Vienna. Also Kunsthistorische Museum for amazing style 42 euro buffet including entry on Thursday night only. Fantastically beautiful dining - you will remember it, go see the paitings between courses.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:23 PM

I stayed at the Hotelpension Arenberg and was very pleased. It had a full-queen-sized bed, balcony, full bathroom, homemade Muslei for breakfast, very convenient to Stephensplatz (5 minute walk), U-Bahn (2 minute walk) and Air Terminal (3 minute walk). The staff is very nice and, while it is a Best Western, it has that posh Vienna feel. There are only 22 rooms so intimate and it is fun to see the autographed pictures to Frau Arenberg on the wall from composers, actors, etc.<BR>While Arenberg is a 4*, a 3* that is not bad is Hotel Drei Kronen. It does not have the bathtub and rooms are smaller but the buffet breakfast is very good. The visiting professors to the University stay there. A nice outdoor market is across the street and an indoor market across from that. It is 3 minutes to the U-Bahn and about 8 to the Opera. <BR>Arenberg is inside the Ring and Drei Kronen is just outside it in another direction.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Your advice has been quite helpful. <BR>~ Melissa
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:43 AM

I have stayed twice at the Best Western Hotel Kaiserhoff in Vienna. It was a wonderful location, excellent breakfast, comfortable rooms, tasteful decor, and a very low price. Not fancy, but still very pretty and quaint. We went in November both times and had wonderful weather and I believe the room was about $45.00 per night or so. Incredible! You can call Best Western and get a brochure and it will be in there. I believe they are on the webpage for Best Western also. Check it out if you haven't picked a place already! Enjoy!<BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Just checked the Best Western website and the prices have gone up quite a bit since I was there about 3 years ago or so. The $45 was per person, but the rooms were no more than $90.00 per night in November. I see they have done some remodeling too, so the prices must reflect that. I did notice that November is still a less expensive time to go and you can still get 2 in a room for $160.00 or so. I still recommend the hotel for the great location (walking distance to just about everything), great breakfasts, generous sized rooms, and comfortable decor. There are other Kaiserhof hotels in Vienna, but if you check for Best Western Kaiserhof you will get this one. Let me know where you decide to stay and how you enjoyed it!