Affordable Venice Apartment in Winter?

Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Affordable Venice Apartment in Winter?

We are going to Venice in Nov/Dec timeframe with young children. I've searched the forum and still haven't found an apartment in our budget. What we are looking for is a clean 1 bedroom living room, with a pull-out couch or 2 bedroom. We prefer ground floor (safety factor with kids) and having a bathtub. We are looking for 60-80 Euro a night. I've seen a couple of apartments VRBO and Venice Apartments in that range for Nov/Dec, but some apartments have no reviews and we are cautious of renting an apartment where no one has stayed in since we are traveling

Please no heckling about the price range. We love traveling but the only way we can travel each year is on a budget. This means going off season (winter), renting apartments, cooking our food, etc.

Thanks!
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
J62

Contact Denise at www.venicerentals.com and tell them what you're looking for. I've found them to be very helpful.

Not sure why ground floor matters - you may find that to be very limiting since many buildings have commercial / businesses on the ground floor. Every 1st floor or higher apartment I've ever stayed in was self contained to a single floor - the only up and down going up the stairs or elevator in a common area, with no stairs inside the apartment.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM

A lot of the buildings in Venice don't use the ground floor. Venice is sinking; the lowest floor may get wet in the acqua alta. Or the ground floor is devoted to commercial use. So finding an apartment on the ground floor may be difficult.

Speaking of the acqua alta, it (high tides flooding low-lying parts of the city) may occur during your visit. It's most common during in fall and spring. If you can, adjust your dates to avoid the new moon or the full moon.
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

J62 & Mimar - the ground floor requirement stems from a window concern. The windows in Italy have no bars or gates. The windows are large and open and children die from falling out of windows every day. It is a big safety concern for parents. Although we can be vigilant, there's still a chance for infants, who are at the climb stage to accidentally fall out. Even if the windows have locks, locking it 24x7 is not realistic. Also, most of the windows have these doors which have old fashion latches and toddlers are smart enough to figure out how to unlatch the door.
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
J62

Thanks for the added info.

I'm not sure what you mean "most of the windows have these doors which have old fashioned latches..." but I'll take your word for it. Half the time I can't figure out how to open those darn windows, but I'm sure a toddler can figure it out in no time.

I was always of the understanding that more kids are hurt driving in cars and had no idea kids die every day from falling out of windows. I respect your preferences as a parent.

Anyway, tell your needs to the folks at Venice rentals and see what they can offer you. We stayed in a 2 story house - same apartment layout on the ground and 1st floors, so I know there is at least one 2br apartment in Venice on the ground floor. I don't recall the price, but it was more than 80 euros per night during summer. I think it was called something like Bandiera e Moro apartment.
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM

We understand - and sympathize - with your concerns, kca. Just trying to explain why you might be having a hard time finding an apartment in Venice. The mainland (Mestre) or the Lido might work out better for you. But you lose so much of the experience of staying in Venice that I hesitate/hate to suggest it.

Also Venice is more expensive than other Italian cities. In general, visitors have to increase their budget a bit for hotels and restaurants there.

Another consideration: the canals in Venice have no railings. There are an infinite number of opportunities to fall in. You'll have to keep a close eye on those toddlers.
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM

I can highly recommend http://www.venicehr.com/ for the type of apartment you are looking for. I only have to let you know that none of the apartments listed have a bathtub (hard to find in Venice anyway). In November last year I stayed at the Corte Malvasia I located on the first floor (not ground floor) for a very convenient price. The location is excellent. You have everything you need just around the corner and the owners are very nice and helpful. It is very close to Piazza San Marco and Rialto. Send an email to Paolo and ask any question and you will receive a prompt response. If you don't like any of the apartments listed, maybe he can suggest others. I don't know how small your children are, but if you keep the windows (modern and very secure) closed (it is winter time anyway) I don't see how they could be able to reach the locks which are located very high. I loved the well equipped kitchen! If there is a flood, it will be minor in that area.

They are owners renting, not agents and you can bargain with them. The service is excellent. Anything you need or ask for, they are right there to help you, which I think it is very important when you are in a foreign country.

Just for the record, I am not an agent but another satisfied traveler. The reviews on that site are truthful.

Good luck!
Oct 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone who responded. For those who think parents are too paranoid, here are some safety statitics on windows accidents. You can be the most vigilant parent, but toddlers are very adventurous, active and curious by nature

* According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, thousands of young children are killed or injured from falling out of windows every year

* An estimated 4,700 children ages 14 and under are treated in hospital emergency departments annually for injuries from falling out of windows."

* More than half of fall-related injuries among children occur among ages five and under.

Where and when:
* Infants are more likely to fall from furniture, baby walkers, and stairs.
* Toddlers tend to fall from windows.